It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes I can, uplifting vid for Team GB paralympic coverage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Just saw this and wanted to share something that captivated me and made me smile...

www.youtube.com...

Political considerations about sports governing bodies, cheating, blah aside, I am inspired by all the people in the film, from the athletes to the musicians.

Sorry the short opening post, it's a watch the film and decide for yourself thing.

...of course the people in the film are not representative of the average person with a disability in the UK. For most it is hard, and I wish our country provided better assistance. For me that is for the social issues forum though, I just wanted to share three and a bit minutes of vid which made me smile.

*Edit*
Sorry folks, just realised that Channel 4 have blocked sharing, maybe you can see it on their site...
www.channel4.com...

edit on 29.7.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Thanks for that!

The youtube link worked fine for me.

I am especially fond of the aquatic groups, love of swimming and all things water.

Here's a link to one of their US counterparts that I am involved with both on FB and beyond. It is a group of folks who are very near and dear to my heart.
Nashville Dolphins

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I think it must be they disabled embedding the vid then, glad you thought similar, I think it is such a good watch.

...and lovely you are involved with the Nashville Dolphins, thanks for sharing it here.
Obviously if any of your guys compete against Brits then you know who I want to win.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Awww, that's so sweet of you to root for us!

I just hope we don't beat you too badly

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Haha I walked myself into that! No, Team GB all the way!

Random factoid... I support teams in this nationalistic order:

1 Wales
2 GB/UK, England
3 Scotland, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Falkland Islands, Gibralta and other British overseas territories
4 Republic of Ireland
5 The country which any random thought or perception, or preconception, makes me want them to win.

So, if Team USA are playing any of the first four you can know I'm not rooting for you guys...in any sport or competition.
Competing against any other country well yep, I'd root for y'all, just depends on who Team USA is against.

edit on 29.7.2016 by grainofsand because: Clarity lol

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I couldn't stand this when it first started being aired. Hitting mute on sight.

It's grown on me now and become a favourite. The lyrics are great and the whole advert is excellent.

Coincidentally I had a go at wheelchair basketball recently. It's tough!!

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I saw it only once, earlier on TV, and it sucked me in enough to share it here.

...I can't wait for the wheelchair rugby, that is brave and brutal.
My son is an able bodied rugby player and he loves watching it, those boys are hard as #...and inspirational.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It's cool seeing the media using their influence for good for a change. In the last 4-5 years, they've helped to humanise people with disabilities. Invictus Games and the Paralympics have killed that idea of pity or awkwardness for the disabled.

Jeez, even Pistorius has played his part lol.

"Hey, the disabled are people too okay?"

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Brilliant film, nice one for posting it

Take that wheelchair rugby for an example, I'm not blind to the chair, but all I see is athletes using the tool their sport requires. It's dangerous and exciting sport.

I've watched society start seeing the person more than the disability over the years, perhaps society is growing up...vids like in the OP make me think it may be.

*Edit*
...and forgot to say thanks for embedding the OP film earlier
edit on 29.7.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

top topics

join