It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Accurate is the F-35Bs gun pod?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Now, there's a significant difference between flying and firing and being still on the ground in a test set up, but even so...that's not bad.

Not too bad at all.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm impressed.

a reply to: anzha

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

So it can hit a target from 20 feet? Hahahaha. Push that back significantly further and those rounds are spraying all over the place!

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: neveroddoreven99

So it can hit a target from 20 feet? Hahahaha. Push that back significantly further and those rounds are spraying all over the place!

Would you like to go stand about 300 yards down range?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
Obviously not. Would you stand in front of a gun even if there were a 1/1000 chance of getting hit? I also don't hold metal poles in lightning storms. But a gun with just as good of odds at hitting something being impressive? Sure. Nice to know you think it's worth billions.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Isn't this the same idea as the F-4 and AV-8B gun pods? Seems like old tech really. Should have stuck with A-10s. Build the plane around the gun.

Yes, I know the Marines don't use A-10s.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: neveroddoreven99

The gun isn't. It's also rarely used on pretty much anything but the A-10. You have to test at short range, just like with any gun, and gradually move farther and farther.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic
Isn't this the same idea as the F-4 and AV-8B gun pods? Seems like old tech really. Should have stuck with A-10s. Build the plane around the gun.

Yes, I know the Marines don't use A-10s.

The first F-4s we got were rigged with gun pods. There were horrible. You couldn't really zero them in very well and accuracy was terrible. They would vibrate and the mountings on the hardpoints were not very stable. Our crew chiefs tried everything, short of welding, to stabilize the things. We were really happy to get the E models with the internal cannon, but, all in all, most of us wanted our A-1s back.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
What was the purpose of the test? If the purpose of the test was not to test accuracy, then it likely was not set up for best accuracy or not refined enough to be fully accurate (this is the first test after-all). So you can't really definitively say whether its accurate or not. We also don't know more details like range (although that shouldn't be hard to figure out).
edit on 29/7/16 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
When was the last air to air gun kill?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So the model of building a CAS around a RAIL gun maybe?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot

Some discussion here

warships1discussionboards.yuku.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot

Some discussion here

warships1discussionboards.yuku.com...

Yeah, I saw that discussion as well.

Perhaps BVR and HOBS A2A weapons have finally fulfilled their potential?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
That gun looks collimated to me. Putting all those rounds in a tiny area up close like that means that the spread is going to be accurate. What a gun that is.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

Simple integration test. Get a feel for vibration levels on the aircraft, and make sure there aren't any surprises.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Also don't forget the FFAR type rockets on the Apache can be out by miles if the launchers aren't super aligned, I know the UK had heaps of problems zeroing then in Afghan, the pod looks quite robust and like previously pointed out, you start small and move further our.

Incidentally unless I'm mistaken it's an area weapon anyway, the A-10 puts its lead down on the pipper but also in a large area around it, that way you don't just shoot one guy a 10,000 times in a second!

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: neveroddoreven99

Would you like to go stand about 300 yards down range?

Considering ballistics? I'd rather be 300 yards down range than 20 feet.

As F4guy said, the pods are most likely to be unstable and gravity will take care of the rest.
If memory serves, the Phantom was designed to be a fighter that shot down bad Guy's with guided missles.
The drivers (and RIO's for that matter) of the F-4 wanted and needed a gun.

If the avionics that the 35's are equipped with do their job, guns shouldn't even be an issue.
edit on 29-7-2016 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Spader

This gun is far more accurate than any previous gun pod. It's a CAS tool. That's about the only time a gun is used anymore.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
The Hawker Hunter would stall out the turbines by using the 20mm Aden x4 gunpack.The F35 has done inflight gunnery testing already I think..Off memory the Apache pods are slaved to the gunners helmet and can be adjust azimuth up and down a bit..Boresighting is usually done to Pilot specs but is good to see accuracy is at forefront..

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

The A model has done in flight gun testing with its internal gun. The B's and the C's haven't yet with the pods.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join