It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alder Biopharmaceuticals Just Announced Seriously Impressive Migraine Drug Trial Results

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
For those suffering from chronic migraine, there is hope for a new treatment on the horizon.

Alder was following up on a phase-two trial that it had first reported last March, when 31% to 33% of patients (depending on the dose) who received a single intravenous infusion of Alder's anti-CGRP antibody ALD403 enjoyed at least a 75% reduction in migraine days over 12 weeks. After 24 weeks, between 29% and 31% experienced the same reduction, vs. 20% of the control group.

If you're a migraine sufferer, read that again...slowly: a single IV dose of this antibody was effective in reducing migraines for 12-24 weeks during the trial! I'm not exaggerating when I say that this could revolutionize the way migraines are treated.

Basically, Alder is a small company that has been working with results noticed when triptans were given to people. It was discovered that CGRP (calcitonin gene-related peptide) was inhibited by those medications. CGRP is involved in migraines at the molecular level. However, because of the vasoconstrictive properties of triptans, they are not ideal for many patients.

The first step was to prove that CGRP was a migraine culprit which they did by injecting it itravenously and inducing migraines.

First, they discovered that injecting CGRP into migraine patients intravenously could induce a migraine attack. Next, a CGRP-blocking antagonist called Telcagepant was developed and it was successful at preventing migraines. However, it was found to cause liver damage and the trial was halted.

Now we're into the second gen CGRP antagonists, and they are showing promising results. We still have to wait until 2019 to know for sure, but maybe those of us with no recourse or chained to daily medications today could one day be on one IV treatment four times a year with only rescue medications needed the rest of the time for occasional attacks.

As a chronic migraine suffer ... I hope this turns up results.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That is fantastic news!

If they are able to mitigate the liver damage that would be great although the damage occurring from being constantly medicated both scheduled and the PRNs (which are harsher IMO) is happening anyway.

I'm hopeful for 2019.

I am often perusing the web for information on migraines and links and for some reason I didn't see this so thank you for bringing it here!

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I don't get many migraines anymore. Since I started taking a multimineral tablet seven years ago and I started eating less aged foods I have not had many at all. I still get some other types of headaches, but not many migraines or sinus headaches anymore. A simple shot of apple cider vinegar and sugar in water after eating popcorn gets rid of the headache I have always got from popcorn. Migraines in me come from eating too much tyramine foods. Even though there is glutamate in peas, peas do not give me a headache like aged foods and ummami chemical additives do.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'm photosensitive and pressure sensitive. I haven't found a food trigger outside of alcohol and I can mostly avoid that by either not drinking or making sure I stay well hydrated when I do indulge.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Used to suffer from chronic migraines and had done since early teens. I now take a natural supplement called Feverfew. It has changed my life and I rarely suffer anymore, if not, at all. Swanson 380mg are the most natural and effective and can be bought online...

edit on 29-7-2016 by kuraijanai2013 because: Typo

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Unfortunately for those of us whose Migraines stem from severe fibromyalgia and E.D.S ( Ehler's Dalnos Syndrome) Our Migraines tend to become about 5 weeks of a Cluster Migraine and Hospitalization. I had been one of the test monkeys for this. Too bad it was an epic fail for me. I wish it works on all, & those like myself could possibly have it work. There is always hope.

link   

Unfortunately for those of us whose Migraines stem from severe fibromyalgia and E.D.S ( Ehler's Dalnos Syndrome) Our Migraines tend to become about 5 weeks of a Cluster Migraine and Hospitalization. I had been one of the test monkeys for this. Too bad it was an epic fail for me. I wish it works on all, & those like myself could possibly have it work. There is always hope.

link   

new topics

top topics

join