It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why did jesus say this

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: Belcastro
why did he tell us to pray to the father in secret if no one comes to the father except through jesus?

Praying to the Father through Jesus ("in my name") can easily be secret from everybody else. No conflict.

I know you are a self-proclaimed prophet; explain this

The Way, the Truth, and the Life

John 14:6

5“Lord,” said Thomas, “we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?” 6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. 7 If you had known Me, you would know My Father as well. From now you do know Him and have seen Him.”…

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

It says here that the most popular rendition of the word name noun mary is stella maris, star of the sea..and so if one dislikes this explanation, then the suggestion is that bitter signifies great and terrible sorrow..

see text below..

www.newadvent.org...

Here a word has to be added concerning the explanation stella maris, star of the sea. It is more popular than any other interpretation of the name Mary, and is dated back to St. Jerome (De nomin. hebraic., de Exod., de Matth., P.L., XXIII, col, 789, 842). But the great Doctor of the Church knew Hebrew too well to translate the first syllable of the name miryam by star; in Isaiah 40:15, he renders the word mar by stilla (drop), not stella (star). A Bamberg manuscript dating from the end of the ninth century reads stilla maris instead of stella maris. Since Varro, Quintillian, and Aulus Gelliius testify that the Latin peasantry often substituted an e for an i, reading vea for via, vella for villa, speca for spica, etc., the substitution of maris stella for maris stilla is easily explained. Neither an appeal to the Egyptian Minur-juma (cf. Zeitschr. f. kathol. Theol., IV, 1880, p. 389) nor the suggestion that St. Jerome may have regarded miryam as a contracted form of me'or yam (cf. Schegg, Jacobus der Bruder des Herrn, Munchen, 1882, p. 56 Anm.) will account for his supposed interpretation stella maris (star of the sea) instead of stilla maris (a drop of the sea).

It was Hiller (Onomasticum sacrum, Tübingen, 1706, pp. 170, 173, 876) who first gave a philological explanation of miryam as a simple word. The termination am is according to this writer a mere formative affix intensifying or amplifying the meaning of the noun. But practically miryam had been considered as a simple noun long before Hiller. Philo (De somn., II, 20; ed. Mangey, II, 677) is said to have explained the word as meaning elpis (hope), deriving the word either from ra'ah (to see, to expect?) or from morash (hope); but as Philo can hardly have seriously believed in such a hazardous derivation, he probably presented Mary the sister of Moses as a mere symbol of hope without maintaining that her very name meant hope. In Rabbinic literature miryam is explained as meaning merum (bitterness; cf. J. Levy, Neuhebraisches und chaldaisches Wörterbuch uber die Talmudim und Midraschim, Leipzig, 1876-89, s.v. merum); but such a meaning of the word is historically improbable, and the derivation of miryam from marar grammatically inadmissible. Other meanings assigned to miryam viewed as a simple word are: bitter one, great sorrow (from marar or marah; cf. Simonis, Onomasticum Veteris Testamenti, Halae Magdeburgicae, 1741, p. 360; Onom. Novi Test., ibid., 1762, p. 106); rebellion (from meri; cf. Gesenius, Thesaur. philol. critic. ling. hebr. et chald. Beter. Testamenti, edit. altera, Lipsiae, 1835-38, II, p. 819b); healed one (cf. Schäfer, Die Gottesmutter in der hl. Schrift, Münster, 1887, pp. 135-144); fat one, well nourished one (from mara; cf. Schegg, Evangelium nach Matthäus, Bd. I, München, 1856, p. 419; id., Jacobus der Bruder des Herrn, München, 1882, p. 56; Furst, Hebr. und chald. Hanwörterb. über d. alte Test., Leipzig, 1857-1861, s.v. miryam); mistress (from mari; cf. v. Haneberg, Geschichte d. biblisch. Offenbarung, 4th edit., Regensburg, 1876, p. 604); strong one, ruling one (from marah; cf. Bisping, Erklärung d. Evang. nach Matth., Münster, 1867, p. 42); gracious or charming one (from ra'am which word does not have this meaning in the Old Testament; cf. v. Haneberg, 1, c.); myrrh (from mor, though it does not appear how this word can be identified with miryam; cf. Knabenbauer, Evang. sec. Matth., pars prior, Parisiis, 1892, p. 44); exalted one (from rum; cf. Caninius, De locis S. Scripturae hebraicis comment., Antverpiae, 1600, pp. 63-64).
edit on 28-7-2016 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: tony9802
The OP is making an issue out of Matthew ch23 v9.

thank you..

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
I know you are a self-proclaimed prophet;

No you don't, because I have never proclaimed myself as a prophet. When have you seen me do that? Nor am I an Apostle. I am a "scribe" or a "teacher", at the very most.

explain this ; "The Way, the Truth, and the Life"; John 14:6

Frankly, I think those words, thought over seriously, explain themelves better than anything I can add.
In brief, you get to God and learn about God by focussing upon Jesus.
Is there any particular obscurity you think I can elucidate?

edit on 28-7-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Beside . . . you ever wanted to ride in a car with two active drivers competing for control?

You're right, there is one driver and it's been in control for a long time

"the Brotherhood of the Snake"

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

Here is some information and comment relating to the thesis put forward by William Bramley in The Gods of Eden that the basic cause of war, genocide and conflict in history is not a viciousness innate in the human species (or even in the male part of it) but rather is the less-than-benevolent interference in human affairs by extraterrestrials (members of a race which had its origin other than on Earth).

Bramley points out that organized (a.k.a. institutional) religion was the creation of the Brotherhood. Its purpose is to restrict thinking, to make slaves of men and to act as a cause of war, the better to keep mankind in bondage to fear and material distress.
To counter the aims of the Brotherhood do not succumb to the solaces of organized religion. Boycott your churches. Snub your synagogues. Ignore your mosques. Until those preachers come out foursquare for peace and justice, refuse to accept their pitiful propaganda. ... Besides, that’s not God who resides in most houses of worship anyway. It’s Moloch! It’s Baal. It’s Marduk. It’s definitely Mammon. The Evil One, posing as your deity, teaching you how to pretend to be good rather than actually teaching you how to be good.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Its a riddle, and your intepretation means you are neither a scribe nor a scholar..

Your a commoner reading the bible in your subjective way..

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Havent seen any post lately from you? I find them very fascinating.. There is a topic about excorcism and Cognitive behavioral therapy working in the same field in norway, i think you might like that topic.. Cheerio

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Belcastro

Just for the record, you should probably quote the actual text and give a link next time. That way, people can know what you're talking about and actually read it in context. Like this:

Matthew 23:9

New International Version
And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

New Living Translation
And don't address anyone here on earth as 'Father,' for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father.

King James Bible
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Do not call anyone on earth your father, because you have one Father, who is in heaven.

International Standard Version
And don't call anyone on earth 'Father,' because you have only one Father, the one in heaven.

And here it is in context. Matthew 23 (New International Version).

1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4 They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteriesa wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

I'm not a Christian, but it seems pretty straightforward to me when I read it together, as it's meant to be read.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You sound really really bitter about this whole thing and are off topic

Stop trolling the thread

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

in the bible jesus said to call no one on earth father for you have but one father and he is in heaven.

For Christians, Paul's words are more important than Jesus'.

For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Go figure!

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Paul is speaking figuratively, making an illustration. The Roman Catholic Church introduced referring to a priest/pope as father. Example, we call the people who first led and wrote about the church "early church fathers", but nobody I'm aware of would say "father Polycarp" or "father Irenaeus". It's a figure of speech in that regard.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

You sound really really bitter about this whole thing and are off topic

Stop trolling the thread

Are you the Thread Boss? No? I didn't think so. If anyone is "off topic" it's you, because your post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, does it? "Bitterness" has nothing to do with it. I have a point of view and I have been replying to other posts as I deem fit. I don't need your permission and I am on topic, whether you think so are not. As long as I'm talking about the topic at hand, it's really none of your business.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tony9802 thank you...i'm somewhat familiar with the name myriam, Stella and the translition of drop into the ocean... as I can't recall a co-worker explaining her name to me... will reread your post after I get my mind in focus... thank you for taking the time to write the translations.
Will get back these studies...
Have a great day...
Thank you.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

in the bible jesus said to call no one on earth father for you have but one father and he is in heaven.

Yes.

he also said to pray to your father in secret and your father hears you in secret.

True, but also you don't have to be in a prayer room/closet alone for God to hear you pray. It's much harder though to hear Him reply when you are distracted, He speaks in a still small voice.

but he also said no one comes to the father except through me.

He wasn't talking about coming to Him in prayer, that statement was about redemption for our sins, I.E. salvation.

why did he tell us to pray to the father in secret if no one comes to the father except through jesus?

See above for clarity.

And why is every pastor or priest called father when the bible clearly said this?

Not pastors, that's more a Catholic tradition. Christians usually say "Pastor Tom", as example.

edit on 7 28 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

OK Jesus was a lie and Mary was a liar

The father and jesus are that same and the only way to the father is through his teachings, not really selfish if that's the religion you choose

Or is this just another atheist rant in the religious forum?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

OK Jesus was a lie and Mary was a liar

The father and jesus are that same and the only way to the father is through his teachings, not really selfish if that's the religion you choose

Or is this just another atheist rant in the religious forum?

It's an attempt to relate an alternative theory that is logically possible, though certainly not proven, nor claimed to be. Part of it considers Jesus' origins and suggest he was a man and not conceived of a virgin mother. If you visit any mainstream seminary in the Western World, i.e.: probably not including Oral Roberts University, you will find that the prevailing sentiment is this: Jesus was a charismatic man with a message. Naturally newly minted seminarians can't go back to their neighborhood churches and say, "Guess what I found out?" and poke holes in the long-standing mythology, so they let it go because that's not the real point anyway. It doesn't really matter all that much. Now that's on topic. That's about religion. That's what the seminaries teach. Go check it out for yourself.

The second issue is this idea that Jesus wants an exclusive. It's through Him or nobody, and if you don't go with/through him, you don't go. Well, that's unlikely. It makes no sense, and it excludes a whole lot of people through no fault of their own. And it's the same sentiment we see in radical Islam today. It's their way or the highway. If you don't accept Allah as the One True God, you die. Frankly I think half of what the Bible says Jesus said never happened. He never said it. You can take half the red letters and recast them in black. And I'm hardly the only one to think this because the sentiment is shared by many Christian scholars. It's not as cut and dried as one might imagine.
edit on 7/28/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

edit on 28-7-2016 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Pastors and priests call themselves father because they are on a selfrighteous ego trip.

You are put in union with the Father by faith in Christ. At that point you are equipt to pray to the Father.

On earth, we have biological parents, but our parents only contributed genetic material. Only God the Father imputes a soul into an empty fetus at the moment of birth. Its called the breath of life. So God is our only eternal Father. Blood ties are temporary.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You must make your calls to god through the operator, you cannot direct dial a long distance call that far yet. The answer alway comes, but it takes three thousand years to get back and most languages change in that amount of time so we can't understand the answer when they arrive.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

" I am your father." said one of the Apostles so maybe it was a prophetic warning not to listen to him.

he also said to pray to your father in secret and your father hears you in secret.

but he also said no one comes to the father except through me.

This means he is teaching about the True Father the Most High and not Yah who had been assimilated with each other.

And why is every pastor or priest called father when the bible clearly said this?

Because Christianity is not what Jesus envisioned but an imposter, the beast who fools the nations.
edit on 29-7-2016 by Muffenstuff because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join