It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regarding the Multiple Star/Flag Mod Capability, Why No Answer From ATS Staff?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is the thread in question, which is now closed for some reason that isn't clear. Seems there was a lot of focus on a banned member. I thought that "we don't discuss banned members". There is a time and place for everything I guess.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It seems that many members wanted a clarification, yet it wasn't given in that thread, but one of the participating mods, Djarums...., said this,

You want answers? I'll prep a thread when I get home from work about what moderator accounts can and can't do. The false accusations, while often funny, have gotten a bit out of hand at this point and have become insulting. I'll be happy to clarify the roles/responsibilities/tools of our staff in a proper setting. There is nothing to hide. Folks want transparency? No problem.

So where is the transparant thread?

Another thing that was discussed was the capability of ATS staff or owners to read private messages. Several members, including some very well respected ones, claimed that this capability does exist and gave anecdotal evidence of this.

Yet the same mod had this to say.

At which point does this start becoming stupid and offensive? I think it's at the point where we stand accused of checking Private Messages, which would be a terrible invasion of privacy if we even had that capability.

So you don't have this capability you say? That's funny because back in 2003 you said this,

Is it technologically possible to read the text sent over ATS's service? Yeah, most likely it is. Does anyone do that? I highly doubt that the staff like William Simon or Bob88 do this simply because they have other # to do. If one day something was going on, and someone in a chat was acting in a way that threatened other members... would it be appropriate to monitor that person's private messages for the safety of other members? I'd say so.

Hmm, weird but ok let's see what the official ATS privacy page says.

Members are provided with a private messaging system as part of their account privileges. Every reasonable effort is made to ensure the private messaging system is maintained in a secure fashion so as to ensure the privacy of any and all messages sent between members. Staff and/or owners will not observe the content or flow of any private messaging unless explicit reports of violations of the Terms and Conditions of Use or the Terms and Conditions of Membership are received. The private messages may be subject to run-time content filtering (such as vulgarities) that is used to filter the content of thread posts.

So there you have it, the capability is definitely there. Why would one claim anything else, it is only logical.

Anyways, hope a clarification will be given regarding the Star/Flag issue. Transparancy, right.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBoogieMan
Do you have access to RATS?
The thread promised came here;

P.S. The specific answer on the "stars" question seems to be that Mods can give two stars.
The OP remembered being told they can give six. Perhaps he was misremembering the suggestion that six Mods had given him two each.

edit on 28-7-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/28/2016 by kosmicjack because: removed link

link   

A thread was authored by Djarums in RATS.

It covers the entire gamut. Read. Learn.

link   

Uh, the mod did make a very nice thread that explained everything in detail.

Might want to look a little harder.

Gin

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
He is a new member, he can't see the section without making 200+ posts first.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

NO WE CAN NOT READ YOUR PMs.

I did not see that thread posted in RATS but the BS continues there......

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gin

Yes, very transparant.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Members are provided with a private messaging system as part of their account privileges. Every reasonable effort is made to ensure the private messaging system is maintained in a secure fashion so as to ensure the privacy of any and all messages sent between members. Staff and/or owners will not observe the content or flow of any private messaging unless explicit reports of violations of the Terms and Conditions of Use or the Terms and Conditions of Membership are received. The private messages may be subject to run-time content filtering (such as vulgarities) that is used to filter the content of thread posts.

NO WE CAN NOT READ YOUR PMs.

One of these is lying.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Get your post count up OP, then go and read the thread.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
How many posts do you have to make before you can access RATS?

To be honest O.P, I don't think they would read Private Messages, but then again it's their site, so you have an option not to use the service.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Might want to look a little harder.

Read. Learn.

You boys are not familiar with the boundaries of the RATS forum?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

That's not the point. This mod is claiming that they can't when they clearly, and quite logically, can.
edit on 28-7-2016 by TheBoogieMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

You have been here long enough to know the why so not sure what your intentions are, mad about getting the boot bro?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Do you have access to RATS?
The thread promised came here;
What can Mods do?
P.S. The specific answer on the "stars" question seems to be that Mods can give two stars.
The OP remembered being told they can give six. Perhaps he was misremembering the suggestion that six Mods had given him two each.

That covers the mods somewhat but the owners have more capabilities. Anyone that has access to the database can pull up pm's or any other data they want. Not saying they would but it is possible.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

No just don't like being lied to.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2
Djarums discusses that point in his thread. Well worth reading over.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I can read it from the link that was given a few posts back. I just qouted from it....

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The question has been answered

Please add your thoughts there.

Asked and answered.

Thread closed.
edit on 7/28/2016 by kosmicjack because: removed link

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Maybe a hobby would help?

Learning to play a musical instrument? Knitting?

The thread was made. If you were a normal individual who stuck to one account instead of constantly stalking and harassing our staff and getting yourself banned all the time you would have seen it.

Isn't my new avatar fun?

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join