It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Risky New Nuclear Build Approved By Money Obsessed Idiots

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

They are building a new one up here in Cumbria, despite protest.

What I don't understand, the UK is an island, surround by the ocean, the ocean which has tides......tides known for generating electricity when you slap turbines in them.

Solar is no good, and wind turbines just stain the scenery.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

What do you mean, solar is no good?

There are people living a few doors from my place who do not actually pay for electricity any more, because they have panels on their roof. And as for wind turbines, good lord, if you have a problem with those, I do not see how you can stand to see a yacht on the waves, or a plane in the sky. Turbines are no uglier than these things!

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Normally i am not anti nuclear (wouldn't say i was necessarily pro either!) but when the experts say it is an unsafe design and then get ignored, you have to wonder at those in charge of the decision making.

Frankly, with rising sea levels, i would also question the location of the plants. We have had Greenland melting at twice the rate over the last few years as over the total of the last 20 years - which in turn are much higher than for millenia. As Fukushima showed, sea + nuclear = big mess.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

They are building a new one up here in Cumbria, despite protest.

What I don't understand, the UK is an island, surround by the ocean, the ocean which has tides......tides known for generating electricity when you slap turbines in them.

Solar is no good, and wind turbines just stain the scenery.

Totally agree. Solar is no good (for the UK). We have some areas off our coasts with some of the strongest tides on the planet - it is madness not to utilise that.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

There are people living a few doors from my place who do not actually pay for electricity any more, because they have panels on their roof. And as for wind turbines, good lord, if you have a problem with those, I do not see how you can stand to see a yacht on the waves, or a plane in the sky. Turbines are no uglier than these things!

You mean they have paid a fortune for panels and are now saving literally tens of pounds every year?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

No.

Nice try, but with average yearly energy costs being approx £800 for a flat or small house, over a grand for a medium sized house, and closer to two grand for a large dwelling, people are saving far more than tens of pounds a year by making the initial infrastructural change. Adding panels also adds value to list prices when a house goes to market, because of the reductions in energy costs associated with living there.

But go ahead, talk some smack if you like. The fact is though, that solar and other renewable means of energy production are viable, and are saving people significant amounts of money as we speak.
edit on 29-7-2016 by TrueBrit because: Clarity

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Thank you, i thought so.

The fact is though that solar works for some but not for many. For example, many solar companies include clauses in the contracts that effectively are preventing house sales (as the panels are tied to the houses for a set amount of time, often 25 years). This is on top of the exorbitant costs that some charge for purchase and installation in the first place.

I cannot deny though that renewables do work for some people. With decent investment (and the right type of schemes for our country) renewables could work for many more. However, i stick by my point - that solar, in particular, has caught many people out in this country.

I also maintain that Woogle is right - for our country, tidal power is the way forward.

As an aside, what is a large dwelling? Mine is fairly large (5 beds) and i pay nothing like £2000 for electricity. Do you mean bigger? If not, i would hope that people get the Energy Ombudsman involved as that seems extortionate.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

Tidal is cyclical like wind farms, wind is up and down in velocity so very unreliable for peak demands except on the rare occasion when peak wind and peak demand coincide. Leads to reliance on thermal sources to take up the slack (oil, gas, coal, nuclear) which are dependable regardless of season, time of day, weather conditions. Wind also has a problem with winds reaching their maximum rating where the turbines 'feather off' as self protection which is something of a problem when a few gigawatts of wind generation drops to near zero - guess what picks up the deficit (thermal, hydro)

Geothermal should be developed as a 'clean' alternative to the other thermal energy options as you can drill a deep hole virtually anywhere on the globe.
edit on 29/7/2016 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   

You people rant on and on about alternative energy sources and then when a viable alternative energy source is available you demonize it and fear monger.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

If solar was a viable alternative it would be everywhere. The free market would see it spread to everyone. But it doesn't because it isn't.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

The free market?

Really? You jest, surely? We live in a nation where the more money a company has, the more of the narrative it controls. Where is the freedom in a system where the truth can be shouted down by effective and well placed lies?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

For an alternative energy source to displace existing thermal sources it has be capable of 24/7 operation at full output except for maintenance interruptions. Wind, solar, tidal etc just don't fit the requirement unfortunately. The energy market may appear open but the small players are at the mercy of the big players just as it is in any game.
edit on 29/7/2016 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   

The free market?

Really? You jest, surely? We live in a nation where the more money a company has, the more of the narrative it controls. Where is the freedom in a system where the truth can be shouted down by effective and well placed lies?

Yes if it was a viable product, and cost-efficient people would sell it and customers would buy it.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
double posting like a pro today
edit on 29-7-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

What, you actually BELIEVE that we are in a meritocracy where that stuff is concerned? I would laugh if it were not so sad that a person can be so easily fooled.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

You have to love the fact that we entertain the lowest bid with relation to the construction of a device that could potentially irradiate a significant proportion of the nation should everything decide to go south.

You would think that the political retards that veto and stamp such idiotic notions would relies that they themselves and there family members, never mind the rest of us poor sods can and will be affected by any potential disaster that may happen?

Guess not!

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Well said, well said!
Can't be impossible to get this red nuclear line completely out of the picture...

www.energy-charts.de...

(Click on "alle Quellen" on the left to see all energy sources)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

How much do you know about the state of the various active waste vaults? It's a grown up subject.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Allegedly some of the German wind turbines are worth the investment. They're the ones that turn when the others are idle.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Some of the stuff that is in those containers, those very old, not at all trust worthy containers, is so dangerous, and so classified, that no one other than the folks who signed it away to the bottom of a big tank somewhere, know what it is, or how radioactive it might be.

Ross Hesketh used to tip stuff down this shaft from a wheelbarrow. There's no telling what's down there. I'm pretty sure they knew from the start they'd be filling the convenient shaft with waste. www.abovetopsecret.com...

At Berkeley Laboratories he tipped waste from experiments into the active waste vaults. There's no record for much of it, they can't be sure what it is. The clean up team have to manoeuvre it out along with the fuel element debris using a remote grab, then set it in concrete.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join