It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NROL-61

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The NRO launched what may be a new type of classified satellite from Florida this morning. Nothing is known about the mission or satellite, which could be a new generation of the Quasar satellites. There were some interesting things with the rocket that gives away that this is something new.

This is the first launch for the NRO of an Atlas V in the 421 configuration. They've previously launched in the 411 configuration or more powerful 500 series configuration, but never the 421.

This is also the first time they've used the XEPF fairing. It's a standard 4 meter diameter fairing, but is 14 meters long, the longest available. They've launched with the 13.1 Meyer EPF fairing, but never this one.

It'll be interesting to see what orbit it eventually settles into.

www.nasaspaceflight.com...
edit on 7/28/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What, if anything, can be learned, purely by way of looking at the difference between the equipment used to heft other missions of that sort to space, and this set up?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

This is either the largest satellite they've launched, or they are launching two satellites at the same time. The fact that the launch was heading to GTO suggests communications satellite, or satellites.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I was wondering what they launched this morning. Made sure to be up to see it in the Eastern sky after reading in the local news they would be doing a launch. Perhaps it is weaponized anti-satellite technology?? We have to counter China in this regard, so if it is im ok with that.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

If it is heading to geosynchronous orbit, it's doubtful that it's an ASAT system. You'd want it in a lower orbit closer to any potential target.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

ahh I see. Well I suppose there is always the possibility that it is a modern, or set of modern com. sats. to simply upgrade outdated ones. There is still some seriously old equipment still out there.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

There apparently hasn't been a Quasar put into geosynchronous orbit in a long time. I think the last one put up there is either past or very near the average expected lifespan of a satellite.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Communications satellite eh?

Hmmm... I wonder what kind of communications they mean? Still, it could be two legit ones, just launched together to hide their numbers from what you are saying. I always suspect skullduggery when the military launch hardware to space.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Perhaps because of this happening?

Popular Mechanics - China to Launch the World's First Quantum Satellite.

Set to launch in August. Supposedly for "research" purposes (sending entangled particles over large distances). But I would think the Military has other ideas and doesn't want China to be first. As the article states, like it or not we live in the quantum world now.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to the above......oh chit....

beat us to it hey....

edit on 28-7-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I'm not going to say to much on this topic.

That said, China is still playing catch up on this one.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I find people have gone so use to unbelievable large militaries that they done even ask should we weaponize space or build giant terrestrial militaries. Get this end on a purely dispassionate basis most of the weapons will never be used so they are pure government pork; the most important point is that the use of these weapons would end all life on earth.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

The NRO is a fun organization. They're a civilian agency, but do almost all their work with the military. They're in charge of almost all intelligence gathering satellites in orbit, but good luck finding anything about them, beyond very basic information.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Another subspecies of dragon perhaps?

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harru42
should we weaponize space

Absolutely! Space is the wild west, and someone is going to do what they want to do there and other people's opinions be damned. Therefore, it is only logical that we develop measures and counter measures of our own to compete and defend our interests.

I can only imagine some time in the humans past the same was asked of the air and sea. We should have had a rotating outpost on the Moon as a goal decades ago.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Might be more of a gecko. Notice the tongue---something that can dart out a long distance and precisely snag something flying by.
edit on 13-8-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Or snag an elusive signal.

The gecko still has its claws over the world (North America, interestingly in this case). Combined with the extended tongue, could be a small, highly maneuverable and relocatable SIGINT sat which is sent to look for very tricky to find intel.

Another possibility, owing to North America being visible on the globe, is that this might have a BMD mission; identifying and/or swatting incoming missiles out of the sky.

top topics

join