It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Don't American Mothers/Fathers Demand Maternity/Paternity Leave?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

So what do you do, hire and train somebody until the mother comes back and then fire the poor guy you just hired when she decides to work again?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

We can't even promise our workers in this country a decent living wage without people fighting tooth and nail to deny this. Do you think the compassion exists to give parents decent parental leave when a child is born?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, I was just about to say this same thing in different words.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

That's exactly what the rest of the world does. You hire someone for a "maternity leave". It's a year contract here in Canada, which is nice for some people just getting into or back into the work force, or someone looking to leave soon. A lot of maternity leave hires will stay on after their year term to replace someone else, or just because they're an asset.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Do workers have representation at the parliament level in canada? Someone had to care enough to start and pass a law. There is no unity among american workers anymore, just competition. Dog eat dog as they say, environment. Trying to get a law like that passed would be an exercise in futility.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Where in Europe? The longest maternity leave available is 16 months.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, I was just about to say this same thing in different words.

Yea. It's idiotic. I agree. Americans tend to live in this little bubble where they think only America's way of doing things works and any other country being successful at doing it isn't happening.

This is how Portugal decriminalizing all drugs and being HUGELY successful with it is routinely swept under the rug.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Definitely. Maternity leave here started in 1971 and provided working mothers with 15 weeks of paid benefits. It's only grown in its support of working parents since then.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Where in Europe? The longest maternity leave available is 16 months.

I don't recall. Just remember her talking about it when we were discussing this topic. How long do you have to work before you are entitled to take the full 16 months?

Let's say a woman has three children. One every two years. she takes the full 16 months each time. That means she worked six years, but been off for four years. 2 years * 3 = 6 years. 16*3 = 48 mos (4 years). So for an employee of 10 years, she has technically only worked 60% of the time.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

As long as she worked the requisite number of hours, I don't see the problem. She likely pays into a benefit fund to support this.

It's Sweden.
edit on 28-7-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

It's fine for her but what about her coworkers. I had one take off 8 weeks this year for maternity leave and my work load essentially doubled. People are always going to take advantage of "free" benefits and govt mandated time off and the people that suffer are the other workers.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Right, but for the company in my example, she is only 60% productive as an employee, but the company is paying for 100% productivity. This is the issue. Heck, it is even worse, if she can take off pretty much at will. Work 1 year, but get 16 mos off after having a child. Would you hire someone who is only productive 60%?

As a parent, I agree it is a great benefit, but at the same time you have to acknowledge the downside to this.

This is why I noted that my wife likes the benefits as mother, but because she is a boss in her work place she also sees how disruptive it can be.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

They aren't free. You pay into the for your entire working life.

Companies outside of the US are able to hire temporary workers because leave benefits are paid federally.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

It's fine for her but what about her coworkers. I had one take off 8 weeks this year for maternity leave and my work load essentially doubled. People are always going to take advantage of "free" benefits and govt mandated time off and the people that suffer are the other workers.

How is that any different than carrying someone's workload when they go on vacation? It's called adapt and overcome. You'd get the same benefits. If you feel so slighted by the extra workload, then have a kid of your own so you can take advantage of the time off too.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

How is that any different than carrying someone's workload when they go on vacation? It's called adapt and overcome. You'd get the same benefits. If you feel so slighted by the extra workload, then have a kid of your own so you can take advantage of the time off too.

People don't go on vacation for months at a time.... HUGE difference.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I would be on board if EVERBODY paid taxes, but only about half of Americans pay federal taxes. I'm not working 50 hours a week so somebody else can take leave.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I say work people like slaves and if one of them gets pregnant shoot her/him in the @$%#^& head. Or wait better yet, let's save the 25 cents on the bullet and make the mom work until she's about to pop and steal her baby and send it to a work/indoctrination camp so it can grow up right and know it's place in this world. Human beings and there kindness and compassion are weaknesses meant to be exploited for the benefit of the strong. Basically the evil crap I just talked about is how many corporate bosses REALLY feel in the US. I'm sure Child labor is something that is sorely missed by the "elite".

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Oddly I suspect that those posters most anti any form of mandated/supported maternity leave are also those most against immigration.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I'm not sure anybody is against immigration. illegal aliens are different.
edit on 28-7-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

People don't go on vacation for months at a time.... HUGE difference.

Yes they do. I used to have a co-worker who would go on vacation to Pakistan every year for the entire month of January.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join