It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The tribal people who saved themselves in advance of the Tsunami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I know there is already a topic on the 6th sense but I wanted to separate this special tsunami case.

Also I prefer to use the term "instinct" which is more clearer in meaning IMO than 6th sense.

The article is interesting because it points out a valid point about how we all have access to our natural instincts but many are disconnected from it due to distractions or for whatever reason.

According to an article about these tribal people, "Anthropologists believe that ancient knowledge of the movement of wind, sea and birds may have saved the five indigenous tribes on the Indian archipelago from the tsunami that hit the Asian coastline Dec. 26."

A local environmentalist familiar with these reticent people was quoted as saying, "They can smell the wind. They gauge the depth of the sea with the sound of their oars. They have a sixth sense which we don't possess."

The animals and primitive people that fled the tsunami knew something the victims didn't. They sensed a warning, and they fled. Relief agencies know all too well how important early warnings are to avoiding similar disasters. Rather than making those warnings technologically based, we need to open ourselves to the pulses of earth forces.

www.aspentimes.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Questor
Also I prefer to use the term "instinct" which is more clearer in meaning IMO than 6th sense.

Why think its instinctual? There are signs of an approaching tsunami, these people were aware, those who died were not or did not see them. Also, its thought that these people simply lived at higher elevations and didn't have to contend with the tsunami. Obviously they had to reach higher ground one way or another.

I find it hard to beleive that they detected a small wave out in the middle of the indian ocean or that they sensed some sort of miniscule pressure build up or anything like that. Perhaps they felt the earthquake and ran to the hills. Its also entirely possible that they saw animals that sensed the quake head for high ground and realized something was up.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I dont think it was a human 6 sense but rather a animal one that predicted the incomming wave. The Natives just knew enough about the actions of the animals they observed to know something was up. They even make mention of the movement of birds in that article.

Its well known some animals can predict earthquake,weather etc... I mean if you noticed alot of animals all moving to higher ground it might be smart to follow them.

Now how animals can tell I have no clue on that one. Perhaps is is somehow connected to how animals migrate thousands of miles and not get lost.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Questor
The article is interesting because it points out a valid point about how we all have access to our natural instincts but many are disconnected from it due to distractions or for whatever reason.

Good find Questor! ...I agree. I grew up on a farm, close to the land - and find that city living still mucks up my radar...

Bah humbug! on the naysayers here. You go Questor.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Hmm. Since moving to the city I've developed greater radar. Rather than being distracted I find it stimulating in a beneficial way. Of course that means I reside in a good part of the city.

I find the country is rather boring & very unstimulating & stagnating to the senses.

Different strokes for different folks.

join