It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA spent $20M on art, while Vets die waiting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

“Yet, in the midst of these horrific failings the VA managed to spend $20 million on high-end art over the last ten years—with $16 million spent during the Obama years,” Andrzejewski said.

---

“In an ironic vignette, at a healthcare facility dedicated to serving blind veterans—the new Palo Alto Polytrauma and Blind Rehabilitation Center—the agency wasted $670,000 on two sculptures no blind veteran can even see,” Andrzejewski said. “The ‘Helmick Sculpture’ cost $385,000 (2014) and a parking garage exterior wall façade by King Ray Studio for the ‘design, fabrication, and installation of the public artwork’ cost $285,000 (2014).”

VA spent $20M on art, while Vets die waiting

Originating source.

Thank your Divine I have TriCare, but a lot of Vets don't.

20 million could pay for a lot of Doctors, instead of relying on PAs and medical students from attached university hospitals.

But ART FOR THE BLIND? The California VA should be ashamed.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Simple message for everyone in the military. Do not join any wars unless there is 100% proven evidence that you need to go to war. Do not interfere with Foreign affairs like Civil war unless you find evidence of mad science and slavery control like how Britain did during the colonial age.
Those who do not read history will repeat history.
edit on 27-7-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Yeah..Your simple message is basically "you get what you deserve".

I'm sure the VA has a similar take.

This line of thinking is why vets get screwed while the VA execs get richer. People like you just don't give a crap and heap all the blame and responsibility on vets.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

Unfortunately all agencies are budgeted in different area of operations...so there is I'm quite confident that there is budgeting set aside for building updates...as horrible as it sounds I'm sure this falls in the arena of updates..I don't agree with this because Frankly I don't care how much art is, it's never worth the actual price tag that people put on it..

The article also goes on to say "“Yet, in the midst of these horrific failings the VA managed to spend $20 million on high-end art over the last ten years—with $16 million spent during the Obama years,” Andrzejewski said.

The VA spent $21,000 for a 27 foot fake Christmas tree; $32,000 for 62 “local image” pictures for the San Francisco VA; and $115,600 for “art consultants” for the Palo Alto facility.

A “rock sculpture” cost taxpayers $482,960, and more than a half a million dollars were spent for sculptures for veterans that could not see them."

Two things I would love to know
1. Was the "Art Consultant" some type of pay back for support the administration or some democrat?
2. Why isn't there an oversight committee that could have prevented these types of purchases over ten years.

I would be ok with art that is spent in areas where Vets are housed due to injuries or rehab...this may be the case but I do agree that this money could have been much more effectively spent elsewhere..maybe some free scholarships for some of the vets kids or spouses..

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This is yet another example why the liberal campaign to raise taxes is utter s***.

Always has been yet that's all they want to do, just raise taxes.

Problem is they waste most of the tax revenue they receive. Giving them more money to waste does no one any good. It's anti-business. It's anti-common sense.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

This isn't a left or right thing exactly...

Some of this spending was under Bush.

Agreed on wasted taxes though.
edit on 28-7-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The art isn't for the vets, it's for the board room boys when they walk through the lobby. They expect only the best wherever they go.

Don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

This line of thinking is why vets get screwed while the VA execs get richer. People like you just don't give a crap and heap all the blame and responsibility on vets.

Reread the message and look at history such as WW2. People like you is the reason why America has turning to crap. As long as soldiers keep going to wars. VA will continue to gain money as more and more soldiers require its assistance. It is all a trap. They don't care about you. You are just helping the enemy to conquer the world in the end. Don't you even dare blame the civilians when you start getting hunted down by other or your own military groups or spy agencies.

edit on 28-7-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

The veterans are literally the backbone of America.

Because of so many spineless civilians who would rather piss away tax-payer money on art instead of actually fulfilling the contract that is owed to the men and women who have served.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

While I agree that his spending is exorbitant, you must understand that many military people have lived in housing and worked in buildings that were basically old and void of decoration at all. This type of setting fosters low morale and disdain for their living quarters and work facilities, and over time, it really does take a toll on one's happiness.

The same can be said for VA hospitals and clinics--if we spent nothing on decoration and visual appeal, you would have veterans who are already often bitter or depressed because of how they (we) are treated and what ailments the military caused them to have going into depressing buildings and dealing with people who work in depressing buildings (which fosters disdain for one's job and lowers morale, as noted above).

There is a psychological reason why this takes place. Now, like I said, this budget for art and décor could be dramatically reduced and have the same positive effect, so in that regard, I get the point of this thread.

But for your information, 3D art (sculptures and the like) are fabulous things for blind people to have access to. I fail to see why you're so ashamed that we would provide art for the blind--that's like saying that we should be ashamed that there are brail books for the blind. They serve a purpose.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Because of so many spineless civilians who would rather piss away tax-payer money on art instead of actually fulfilling the contract that is owed to the men and women who have served.

Both Parties have let the Vets down.

I'd like to blame the Dems, but both sides are pathetic.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Im all for making sure our Vets get the best care.

But I can't agree that they are the backbone of America. America hasn't had an army invade it in quite some time. I think the military is more like that spare tire that America has hanging over its belt: a bunch of extra fat that we really can't afford.

That said, its not a veterans fault that they are suckered into trading their health for a low end wage and a promise of respect at some point in the future. As a taxpayer, its my duty to make sure that the social contract we entered into with our vets is met and paid in full.

I just wish we quit suckering so many good people into trading their lives to a government that doesnt' care about any of us.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Vets that got anywhere above E4 have a very good understanding of the budget process... that said when people die while waiting for a doctors visit... the priorities need to change.

The VA gets an obscene amount of money to spend (when you consider the budget compared to the number of prospective patients)... yes we get it there are different pots of money... but congress (BOTH parties) have failed to address the problems..and they already have all the pwoer they need to fix the problems.

And Execs that were in charge of things that caused people to die continue to go with nothing more than a verbal reprimand because BOTH parties are to spineless to actually tackle this issue.

Personally I feel we Vets are just to small a voting block for them to actually care about, hence why I am high on the VPOA... we get some vets in through a party that is not owned by soros, or koch... or buffett.. and maybe we can get some things fixed.
edit on 28-7-2016 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

But I can't agree that they are the backbone of America. America hasn't had an army invade it in quite some time. I think the military is more like that spare tire that America has hanging over its belt: a bunch of extra fat that we really can't afford.

YES!! Of course, you know why so much is spent on the military. All those lucrative military contracts that are making some people very very rich, including many politicians. Instead of just fighting for those vets, we should also be fighting to stop all that military action in countries that have nothing to do with us. We could take some of that money and use it for jobs programs right here in the U.S. for those who would normally go into the military.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The US is about to go through a VERY rough patch as our infrastructure continues to decay and we do nothing but pay to make wars in third world nations.

If we don't address our own home related issues, our house will fall apart. And no amount of bickering over gay cakes is going to help.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Seems my reply got eaten so I'll try again. $20 million over 10 years going by your article. That's $2 million per year, nationally. That's $40,000 per state per year. At typical doctors office billing rates that's 80 hours worth of doctors visits in each state. It's a pretty small number overall, and with the way the budgeting process works it didn't come out of their doctors budgets anyways. Projects like this are classified as upkeep and beautification because it would be just as big a scandal if the VA offices were run down shacks.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Seems my reply got eaten so I'll try again. $20 million over 10 years going by your article. That's $2 million per year, nationally. That's $40,000 per state per year. At typical doctors office billing rates that's 80 hours worth of doctors visits in each state. It's a pretty small number overall, and with the way the budgeting process works it didn't come out of their doctors budgets anyways. Projects like this are classified as upkeep and beautification because it would be just as big a scandal if the VA offices were run down shacks.

Somewhere between a quarter million dollar statue, and a run down shack lies the sweet spot of where our veterans health care should land.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

This I agree with.

The US Army could green up its regular operations and save tons of money in the process.

We gave all of our phase inspections to the DynCorp team in my unit. The worst part about this is that the policy pretty much ensured that soldiers would never get any experience in conducting phase maintenance. That's a crucial part of being a UH60 crew chief.

I'm one of the few that has done phase maintenance. Most crew chiefs have never done large and complicated maintenance tasks because DynCorp is under contract to perform them. The army could save TONS of money if they bothered to develop the skills of their aviation mechanics and offered A & P licensing in the process.

We'd have the most well disciplined and intelligent aviation maintenance personnel in the world.

But it is more important to make sure the civilian contractor companies get their "fair share".

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

originally posted by: projectvxn

Reread the message and look at history such as WW2. People like you is the reason why America has turning to crap. As long as soldiers keep going to wars. VA will continue to gain money as more and more soldiers require its assistance. It is all a trap. They don't care about you. You are just helping the enemy to conquer the world in the end. Don't you even dare blame the civilians when you start getting hunted down by other or your own military groups or spy agencies.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the military at all.

Go get 4 years in and we'll talk.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I think vets represent our greatest strengths, sure they get abused by everyone and haven't had to fight in the US, but they would in a heartbeat.

a reply to: whyamIhere

I didn't differentiate political parties. Everyone has lied and abused our vets.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join