It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is today's youth messed up in the head, or is it all in their minds?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
THese i have found to be a thing of contraversy.

Highlights of Research on Increases in Drug Treatment for Childhood ADHD
The following are statistics detailed in the story.
*The number of preschool children being treated with medication for ADHD tripled between 1990 and 1995.

*The number of children ages 15 to 19 taking medication for ADHD has increased by 311 percent over 15 years.

*The use of medication to treat children between the ages of 5 and 14 also increased by approximately 170 percent.

*White, suburban elementary children are given medication to treat ADHD at more than twice the rate of African American students.

*Methylphenidate (commonly known as Ritalin) is manufactured at two and a half times the rate of a decade ago.

*The majority of children and adolescents who receive stimulants for ADHD do not fully meet the criteria for ADHD.

*Many children who do meet the criteria for ADHD are not being treated.

*About 80 percent of the 11 million prescriptions written for methylphenidate (Ritalin is the brand name) each year are written for children.

I thought some of you might want to look at some of these.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

The majority of children and adolescents who receive stimulants for ADHD do not fully meet the criteria for ADHD.

I think the kids are ok, yet the grown-ups are a bit messed up. It is believed that most children born in the last decade or so do have a different behavior pattern, some call them Indigos, - they can think on their own. Unlike most "normal" grown-ups, who, while thinking that they are thinking
, blindly believe in facts they were told.

For example, a normal kid from some 1950th, when told "you should learn good at school and listen to what your teacher tells you", does it.

While you see, an Indigo from 2000, when told the same, starts asking questions.
- "Why should I learn good at school? That information is not only useless, bet stacking it into the head also doesn't seem right. Why should I seat in a hot room if I want to run around? Why should I listen to the teacher and how comes that she's always right even if I "see" she's lying about that and that?" or, later, "how it comes that you tell me I've got to go to collage to achieve something in life, yet more then half of more successful people ( acording to FORBES ) have never been there?" and so on, and so on.

The grown-ups, being unable or just lazy to answer this questions and being very, very afraid to question the "truth" they was told and believe in, label this kids as "sick" and gives them drugs to turn them into a blind sheep like themselves.

Good Luck!

[edit on 19-1-2005 by BRT25]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
When I was in elementry school, I had problems:

1. Bad at Socialization with other kids.
  2. Didn't trust information in school.
  3. Asked too many questions from my teachers.
  4. Would get stressed and would have to move around and daydream or "Freakout" over a situation and my future,
  5. I would play with tape to help handle situations.
  6. Was VERY opinionated, I complained alot.

My forth grade teacher, who I'll call Mr. T. Told me I had ADD, which I knew was BS. Because the real reason was I was getting bad grades on tests(I'm a bad test taker, especially math), and I was making it too hard to teach class. Questioning authority and all. But my class had already figure out it was some sort of conspiracy between the drug companies and the goverment. I just couldn't figure out what.
So they put me on 3 ritalin three times a day. I hated it mild hallucinations of spiders, moths, etc. "Camera Lights" all the time, constant chest pains, and a constant light hallucination of that Christina Aguilera "Genie in a bottle"-pig thing. I would also get headaches, and become upset if I didn't have it.
But luckily they gradually decreased the dosage by the time I was out of 6th grade I was off of it. I had to with the cravings by using choclate, BSB, and conspiracy theories.
And yes, I still believe it's a conspiracy for money and pacifying the population for the whole NWO thing, soon, like REAL soon. I mean it teachniquely started 9-12-01, if watched CNN at 7:36 am, the next day.

[edit on 1/19/05 by BSB2005]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
To me ADD and any other children problems is a result of modern times when parents have to work two or more jobs and they have not time for their children, most children are starving for attention, and society feels that medicating them and giving them a syndrome will make the parents and people around them more guilt free.

Yes, I felt for it and submitted my child for three years to medications and guess what, he did not need it.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
BSB2005,
But if you were questioning authority and thinking on your own in general, why were you taking this drugs??? :shk:

I personally do not think there could be any conscious government conspiracy.
You see, if someone more-or-less wise gets into a bunch of... a... not so wise people, they subconsciously would do anything to drag ( or drug ) him down to their level.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
By the way about the increasing number of kids labeled with ADHD. When more then half of kids would show this symptoms, the doctors would have to start labeling "normal" kids as sick and durgging them.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
My mom and school adminstratiors pushed me to use it for about 2 and half years. Then my mom realized 1, I was having bad side effects from the ritalin that were upsetting me, etc. 2, That both I and my brother have above average I.Q.(she still thinks this accurate). 3, That I could focus without the ritalin and was much more comfortable and happy.
I hated getting off ritalin man, all the choclate, reading, and Backstreet Boys, man, I'm so happy I turned out well enough to not wanna be on "American Idol".
:w:
:bash:
all auditioning to be the next Paris Hilton or Willam Hung, and next week auditions for the next Ashlee Simpson.(Speaking like Geffory Chacer as an announcer).
Sorry, I forgot, I believe the gov't let's the belief of ADD/ADHD run rampant in order to force people to become "drones", to not question any politicans/lobbyists/PACs agenda, and to get some extra $ in their pockets.
A knight's Tale best Historical "Fiction" movie ever!!!:w:

[edit on 1/20/05 by BSB2005]

[edit on 1/20/05 by BSB2005]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer
THese i have found to be a thing of contraversy.

Highlights of Research on Increases in Drug Treatment for Childhood ADHD
The following are statistics detailed in the story.
*The number of preschool children being treated with medication for ADHD tripled between 1990 and 1995.

*The number of children ages 15 to 19 taking medication for ADHD has increased by 311 percent over 15 years.

*The use of medication to treat children between the ages of 5 and 14 also increased by approximately 170 percent.

*White, suburban elementary children are given medication to treat ADHD at more than twice the rate of African American students.

*Methylphenidate (commonly known as Ritalin) is manufactured at two and a half times the rate of a decade ago.

*The majority of children and adolescents who receive stimulants for ADHD do not fully meet the criteria for ADHD.

*Many children who do meet the criteria for ADHD are not being treated.

*About 80 percent of the 11 million prescriptions written for methylphenidate (Ritalin is the brand name) each year are written for children.

I thought some of you might want to look at some of these.

you know whay these stats exist? its because of the parents who dont want to put up with there children being brats. its not the childrens fault. its the parents fault for being bad parents and not disiplining(sp) there children.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
>> My mom and school adminstratiors pushed me to use it for about 2 and half years.

I don't know, make dummy pills, for exmaple. Or not swallow them.

>> That I could focus without the ritalin...

But before when you couldn't focus - did you ever want to focus?
Like you wanted to do a math exercise and could not stay focused on it or your teacher said you have to do it and you did not concentrate because you did not want to?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
To me ADD and any other children problems is a result of modern times when parents have to work two or more jobs and they have not time for their children, most children are starving for attention, and society feels that medicating them and giving them a syndrome will make the parents and people around them more guilt free.

Yes, I felt for it and submitted my child for three years to medications and guess what, he did not need it.

WRONG. the problem with kids today is that noone beats em anymore. Seriously. The kids have no fear of consequences. They will do whatever they want, cuz mommie and daddie cant do anything.

When i was a kid, i wasnt "abused". but, when i screwed up, i got a beatin. It didnt stop me from screwin up, but it stopped me from screwin up twice.

to put it plainly, KIDS NEED TO BE DISCIPLINED. OFTEN...

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020

Interesting
And then we wounder why only one out of a few thousands is a charismatic personality, can invent something, open a company and be generally successful in life while others are disciplined to a level when they can not do anything else then work in McDonald...

By the way, what do you mean by "screwed up" ?

[edit on 21-1-2005 by BRT25]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BRT25

Originally posted by spliff4020

Interesting
And then we wounder why only one out of a few thousands is a charismatic personality, can invent something, open a company and be generally successful in life while others are disciplined to a level when they can not do anything else then work in McDonald...

By the way, what do you mean by "screwed up" ?

Its also amazing that most of societies major inventions were in the last century, when beatin your kid was not only allowed, but encouraged. Nowadays, you get nothing but blame shifting and "deep pyschological problems". BS.

Its like noone knows how to deal with pain. Pain is weakness leaving the body. Kids have no respect for authority because it is NOT being installed in them. Mommie and daddie just want to buy the kid whatever they want to shut them up, instead of raising them, they are trying to be their best friend.

Raise your kids with a healty dose of respect for authority and they will be fine. Let them hear you telling off their teachers and your gonna raise little smart-asses that think they know everything.

Kids are seen, not heard.......

[edit on 21-1-2005 by BRT25]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BRT25
By the way about the increasing number of kids labeled with ADHD. When more then half of kids would show this symptoms, the doctors would have to start labeling "normal" kids as sick and durgging them.

I think they do, and I also think poor adult role models are to blame in most cases or lack of.

[edit on 123131p://060112 by instar]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
In their heads....

if you have add how do they test it? if you can't pay attention to something for how long? who says how long?

with today's fast paced society I would imagine the kids will have a shorter attention span.

Adapting to the times I think is a better diagnosis, times do change people.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
My parents were fighting, my father was cheating on my mom, and I was just pushed with learning stuff I: 1. Couldn't undestand, 2. Wasn't as infromative as I wanted it (Social Studies). 3. Was a DUH-type of thing I knew. So that's why I cut down on daydreaming so much, when I'm working on something.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well, I'm sorry to say y'all just gained the chance to read my ADD story. Or ADHD. Or whatever they're calling it today.

I had been on amphetamines since I was about 8 years old to treat my ADD. I will tell you flat out, I was one of those who needed the meds, I legitimately have ADD. However, I believe most people on Ritalin, Dexadrine, or any of the other amphetamines (I think crystal meth is available OTC as long as you're under 15 years old...) they give ADD kids don't need them. The parents have that hippy idea of "let your children become who they want to be without dicipline" and then sure enough, who'd have thunk, the kid is a nightmare and won't listen to mom and dad. The rod of correction...(though I don't think I'd use an actual rod with my kids, be I blessed enough to have them. I would use words, though, which can be quite a bit more painful than any rod I've ever been hit with (...yes, there have been several))

Anyway, I was on meds since I was about 8. I started on this little pastel purple pill (no clue what it was), and then moved onto a dark purple and hot pink capsul before I was moved to 1 40mg sr Ritalin in the morning, followed by 2 20mg regular release Ritalin, one at lunch and one after school. For anyone who has followed the development of ADD, you'll probably recognise the name of my shrink, Dr. Mortimear (sp) Gross (heck, you can probably place me within 15 miles if you know the hospital he works at).

I also had weekly sessions with a psycologist (FAR cheaper than a psychiatrist) for about 8 years. That guy sucked, though, because I never opened up to him. I would blame myself except that I was a kid not looking for help and he was a child psychologist specializing in troubled teens.

So essensially, I was on my own to combat my ADD. I could either take the drugs or not take the drugs. However, whenever I didn't take the drugs, my parents knew. It was terribly obvious. To give you an idea, I couldn't play a video game through a level without switching to another, and usually that was after throwing the controller at the console (I remember breaking my SNES this way), picking up and throwing the couch, or other such acts of violence for not getting my way in the video game.

I'm a dork. You may have noticed this from my posts if you've been here for a while. I'm a science wonk, and I love Star Trek. My favorite debate topic besides theology is any branch of science, specifically physics. I am an uber dork. However, I was raised by a dyslexic jock father who fought with anyone who made fun of his reading disability (back in the day before anyone knew what dyslexia was). He tought me how to deal with those who didn't appreciate my dorkdum. And boy did I ever...Typically, every year of school from 5th grade until my freshman year, I had to fight every bully in school once. When they found out I fought back, and well, they left me alone until they found out I defended my dork friends, too. (For those of you wondering why the heck I'm going in this direction, this is a VERY common symptom for people with ADD.)

My freshman year changed my whole life, though. At my highschool, the freshmen had their own building, but would occasionally have to commute to the other building to take some elective classes. I was taking electronics, and had to commute for the last period of the day my second simester. There was this psychotic little # (sorry, there is no other way to put this. This is a second degree black belt kid who would like to go around and hit us dorks in points of pain because everyone, including me, was afraid to make a move on him) who was behind me, though I didn't know it. A week before, he had nailed my friend Robert behind the ear with a finger strike, and went to do it to me when I looked him in the eye and said, "If you ever do that to me, I'm going to kick your ass." This was one of the rules my dad tought me; I wasn't allowed to throw a punch until an ultimatum was established. He laughed, but didn't do it to me. He walked away. That should have sent warning lights and buzzers off all over my mind, but I was naive.

Well, this Jason dude came up to me, who was one of the last kids commuting, and jacked me behind the ear. DANG DID THAT HURT! Long story short, I turned around, punched him in the face, realized I was going to die, and laid him out hands down. Changed my entire world. This was someone who was recognised by most as someone you don't mess with or he'll kill you. I just beat the crap out of him, and the whole time he was bending my fingers back trying to break them. He had no idea how to fight.

Again, yes, this does have a point and is related to an ADD cure.

My whole perspective on life changed. All Jason had to do was intimidate people to make them afraid to fight him. He couldn't fight, but people thought he could, and that was all that really mattered. My whole personality shifted that day, and I started learning how to be intimidating.

I learned a lot, I have to day. There have been a couple of occasions walking to someone's house in Chicago where I've been accosted by several fellahs who want my wallet. I've also been mugged on the subway before. All 3 situations ended up with me walking away, the other guys walking away saying , "F... You!", and me keeping my wallet, no punches thrown.

So what the heck does this have to do with ADD? Well, here's where I pull the two threads together and make a rope. After finding that a simple mental shift could so dramatically change my world, I did the same with the ADD. I hated those pills. Amphetamines are the worst thing in the world, in my opinion. Y'all know me, I'm extremely outspoken. Yet when I was on Ritalin and moreso when I was on dexadrine, I never spoke. I had very few friends. The only ones I had I made in 5th grade through someone I got into a debate with on the bus about which was hotter, Mercury or Venus. I was right, but my new found friend didn't believe it until we asked our science teacher which was warmer. HAHA JERRY! Just because it's closer doesn't make it hotter! Sorry. The pills really sucked. Plus, I still didn't do my homework.

It was thanks to that fight with Jason that I started taking fewer and fewer of those pills, and when I did, I kept removing more and more of the poweder (dexadrine is a capsule with a power in the middle) so I could learn the mentality on the pill. Slowly I extracted the aspects of my personality I liked on the pills (and my parents liked) and applied them to my life. By my junior year, my parents had no idea when I didn't take the pills.

So really really long story caped with a small anecdote, ADD does exist. Had I never had those pills, I would probably be unemployed or working at something I hate. Yet, I hate those pills. They were my bane, and they were my salvation. Now, here I am, 26 years old, 12 years since I threw my last punch in anger (started taking martial arts when I convinced a rugby team (well, 5 memebrs) not to screw with me...Realized I should probably have the skill to back up my confidence
)

As for the screwed up youth in America, I tie it precisely with the complete removal of any religious reference back in the 60s and 70s. There used to be something taught in schools saying there was a greater good. Now there is no good, everything can be justified. When there is no difference between good and bad in the eyes of someone, they call them a psychopath. Yet that is exactly what we are teaching our kids in school. And y'all are shocked we're raising a bunch of psychopaths?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
A lot of the problems these days are caused by parents who either refuse to teach their children basic manners, or those who are not allowed to do so. Discipline is also lacking for the same reasons. When I mention 'discipline' I don't mean the old Victorian way of taking the belt to your kids, I mean teaching them the repercussions of their actions. Removal of privileges for example. Act like a demon and there's no X-Box for you for a week. Be a decent human being and maybe you'll get the computer game you want.

Swings & roundabouts.

I've spent over a year in what must be the most disfunctional family I have ever met. I have never experienced such a thing before and it I considered it to be a kind of 'culture shock' (or rather 'No culture at all' shock). And how did this happen ? Because KayEm was not allowed to bring her kids up as human beings. Instead her interfering mother constantly overode her attempts at discipline with the result that both her sons are arrogant selfish neanderthals with few redeeming features.

To answer the question, I believe that many of the problems are caused by 'society'. The PC brigade constantly harp on about children's rights while denying the parents the rights to discipline their offspring. Give a kid an inch and he'll take a mile. Of course not all kids are like that, but many are.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The truth is that us kids today jus cant keep our ears open and our mouths shut. SOmehow the fundamentals of our brain chemistry is evolving, and we don't know what is causing it. So we are afraid, we see all of the bad in what is happening, and we decide that we all differances must be eliminated. Afterall, we are afraid of what we don't know. So, anyway, we appear to be insane, but we are just differant, and soon, everyone will be like this, soon, society will realize what is happening. Some day...

We are not defective!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
i think add kids are perfectly normal its my view that their the next stage of evolution

top topics

join