It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blacks Are Free Because Republicans Voted For It Yet They Support Democrats! Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Im fairly new to politics but as of late I have paid more attention to it and one thing I just can't understand is why Blacks support the democratic party.

I know democrats are much better at identity politics then republicans but the facts are the facts!

Let's look at those facts:

>In 1857, a Democratically controlled Supreme Court delivered the Dred Scott decision, declaring that blacks were not persons or citizens but instead were property and therefore had no rights.

>The 13th Amendment to abolish slavery was voted for by 100% of the Republicans in congress and by 23% of the Democrats in congress.

>Not one Democrat either in the House or the Senate voted for the 14th amendment declaring that former slaves were full citizens of the state in which they lived and were therefore entitled to all the rights and privileges of any other citizen in that state.

>Not a single one of the 56 Democrats in Congress voted for the 15th amendment that granted explicit voting rights to black Americans.

I know there is a lot more evidence that shows blacks have the rights they have mostly because of republicans but what I don;t get is why do blacks support the party that mostly tried to limit their rights?

Help enlighten me ABS.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

Because black people don't owe their vote to a party because of something that happened in the 1800's.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Cause its not the 19th century anymore, both parties pretty much swapped there policies, and now there both a joke.

link   
All you will hear now is how the Parties somehow "switched" positions.

But that's all BS.

link   

The short answer is; the parties evolved.

2nd line

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Because black people don't owe their vote to a party because of something that happened in the 1800's.

But apparently every white person owes them reparations for things that were done to them back then, not personally mind you, but because of what was done to others.. /sarc

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Republicans used to be liberal and the democrats used to be conservative.

So what you're claiming to be true isn't really accurate.
Link

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis

But apparently every white person owes them reparations for things that were done to them back then, not personally mind you, but because of what was done to others.. /sarc

The thing is the US gov never really officially closed the book and made things right. It was just like "yay, you're equal now!"

It should have been followed by a heart felt apology rather than anger and resentment.

I mean come on. If Germany can pay reparations for WW2 the US could have done something a bit more classy...

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You realize that the Democratic and Republican Parties are nothing like how they started or were back then. Even going back to Eisenhower or Kennedy they're both different parties and not for the better. Bringing an op statement like this isn't really even like truth. People vote for who they think will bring them a better state of living or who align with their own beliefs. Right or wrong, people vote for who they perceive as aligning with their own beliefs or they vote with who they think will lead they way they want to be led or govern they way they want their government to be.

As we can see, clearly, both Democrats and Republicans are failing miserably.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
They are still being held in financial bondage by the Dems.

The get a tiny check and a few food stamps from the Government.

66% unemployment with no possibility of improving their situation.

Black folks want good jobs and their own businesses.

As long as their collective votes are promised to the Dems.

You can be sure they are just in a different form of slavery.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i posed this questions a few weeks ago because i thought the democrats of old were extremely racist- jim crow laws - slavery - black voting -
what happened is the 2 parties flip flopped platforms

Rauchway credits the Democrats’ ideological shift to their ambitions to win the Western votes that were up for grabs in the post-Civil-War era. Much of the Republican federal expansions of the late 1800s had benefited interests in the Northeast—railroad companies, banks,and other big businesses—while small-time farmers in the West received little attention. Republicans and Democrats alike tried to woo Western voters with federal support, but Democrats ultimately stuck to a platform of helping out the “little guy,” while Republicans eventually transitioned to a non-interventionist approach that favored big business.

so.... just because they were racist democrats up until the 30s, now the republicans are considered racist.
stupid i know, but look at the RNC and DNC - repubs are all southern redneck flag waving muricans -- dems are all old people and minoritys.
#hillarysliesmatter

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Not worth it.
edit on 7/27/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

keep in mind, only 1.4% of white americans owned slaves
30,000 free blacks had 200000 slaves in the south

remember how many northerners died in cival war to free the slaves

most whites came here during the late 1800s, and 1900s. i would think about .000009% of whites in america can be tied to a slave owning family

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Because republicans don't care if they die starving and sick while living under the bridge?

Have any proof of that?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Sorry, should have said only 99% of them.

Proof? I guess you don't ever take note on who votes for what in Congress. Silly comment.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

As society changed and political climates changed the two parties switched platforms. I'd almost go as sfar as to say that the party that freed the slaves (Republicans) became the other side (Democrats).

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

The thing is the US gov never really officially closed the book and made things right. It was just like "yay, you're equal now!"

It should have been followed by a heart felt apology rather than anger and resentment.

I mean come on. If Germany can pay reparations for WW2 the US could have done something a bit more classy...

Well, the people that should have apologized and the people that should have been apologized to are all long dead so none of this matters in 2016.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Cause its not the 19th century anymore, both parties pretty much swapped there policies, and now there both a joke.

No they did not.

OP asked a GREAT QUESTION.

Why indeed.

Lyndon Johnson was a civil rights hero. But also a racist

Revisionist history is why.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

Well, the people that should have apologized and the people that should have been apologized to are all long dead so none of this matters in 2016.

My thoughts exactly.

People and the grudges...

Life is too short..

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: JinMI

Sorry, should have said only 99% of them.

Proof? I guess you don't ever take note on who votes for what in Congress. Silly comment.

Proof, yes that supports all or 99% of registered Republicans who want to see black folks under bridges, starving.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join