It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You May Just Be a Noahide

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

Thank you.

Your credo reads quite lovely.

Puts me to shame, when I see myself labelling and fighting.

A question: The spirit you consider to be your self; when it leaves your body on its semi-final trip, and find's itself in a new body; Is that still you, or is that a new person completely independent of who you are now?

In other words, do you claim that spirit as yours or do you relinquish it as belonging to another, ie. the new person?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

and find's itself in a new body

If I were to find a new body to inhabit I am still the same at my core essence. I'm all there is. I'm not my body. Bodies decay.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I was asking because I've spent most of my life with an Atomist Epicurean view. Reincarnation and/or transmigration of the soul are fairly foreign concepts to me.

I do like your Credo though.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

That is a hard view for me to grasp sometimes. It's only for the lack of understanding, I think.

I don't understand how you can hold that view but still not believe we (atoms) are able to enter a vehicle. Is it possible our earthly senses see a split atom when it's not?

Hope this makes sense. If it doesn't then maybe you understand my confusion, hence hard to grasp.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
So how do you call someone who writes "G-d" instead of "God"?

Crazy? Or is that too insulting? How about unreasonable? Still though, to me at appears as the pinnacle of insanity a certain superstition can lead to (with possible dangerous consequences for those who don't want to follow in that path). And it certainly doesn't help my hopes in an ability to reason with someone doing that.

The Fight Against God’s Name: Awake!—2004

The Fight Against God’s Name

HIS name was Hananiah ben Teradion. He was a Jewish scholar of the second century C.E., and he was known for holding open meetings where he taught from the Sefer Torah, a scroll containing the first five books of the Bible. Ben Teradion was also known for using the personal name of God and teaching it to others. Considering that the first five books of the Bible contain the name of God more than 1,800 times, how could he teach the Torah without teaching about God’s name?

Ben Teradion’s day, however, was a dangerous time for Jewish scholars. According to Jewish historians, the Roman emperor had made it illegal under penalty of death to teach or practice Judaism. Eventually, the Romans arrested Ben Teradion. At his arrest he was holding a copy of the Sefer Torah. When responding to his accusers, he candidly admitted that in teaching the Bible, he was merely obeying a divine command. Still, he received the death sentence.

On the day of his execution, Ben Teradion was wrapped in the very scroll of the Bible that he was holding when arrested. Then he was burned at the stake. The Encyclopaedia Judaica says that “in order to prolong his agony tufts of wool soaked in water were placed over his heart so that he should not die quickly.” As part of his punishment, his wife was also executed and his daughter sold to a brothel.

Although the Romans were responsible for this brutal execution of Ben Teradion, the Talmud states that “the punishment of being burnt came upon him because he pronounced the Name in its full spelling.” Yes, to the Jews, pronouncing the personal name of God was indeed a serious transgression.

The Third Commandment

Evidently, during the first and second centuries C.E., a superstition regarding the use of God’s name took hold among the Jews. The Mishnah (a collection of rabbinic commentaries that became the foundation of the Talmud) states that “one who pronounces the divine name as it is spelt” has no portion in the future earthly Paradise promised by God.

What was the origin of such a prohibition? Some claim that the Jews considered the name of God too sacred for imperfect humans to pronounce. Eventually, there was a hesitancy even to write the name. According to one source, that fear arose because of a concern that the document in which the name was written might later end up in the trash, resulting in a desecration of the divine name.

The Encyclopaedia Judaica says that “the avoidance of pronouncing the name YHWH . . . was caused by a misunderstanding of the Third Commandment.” The third of the Ten Commandments given by God to the Israelites states: “You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way, for Jehovah will not leave the one unpunished who takes up his name in a worthless way.” (Exodus 20:7) Hence, God’s decree against the improper use of his name was twisted into a superstition.

Surely, no one today claims that God would have someone burned at the stake for pronouncing the divine name! Yet, Jewish superstitions regarding God’s personal name still survive. Many continue to refer to the Tetragrammaton as the “Ineffable Name” and the “Unutterable Name.” In some circles all references to God are intentionally mispronounced to avoid violating the tradition. For example, Jah, or Yah, an abbreviation for God’s personal name, is pronounced Kah. Hallelujah is pronounced Hallelukah. Some even avoid writing out the term “God,” substituting a dash for one or more letters. For instance, when they wish to write the English word “God,” they actually write “G-d.”

Come on people, God isn't even his name, how far are you gonna take this stuff?

Further Efforts to Hide the Name

Judaism is by no means the only religion that avoids using the name of God. Consider the case of Jerome,...
A Practice in Conflict With God’s Will

The widespread failure to use God’s name is based strictly on human tradition and not on Bible teachings. “Nothing in the Torah prohibits a person from pronouncing the Name of God. Indeed, it is evident from scripture that God’s Name was pronounced routinely,” explains Jewish researcher Tracey R. Rich, author of the Internet site Judaism 101. Yes, in Bible times God’s worshipers used his name.

edit on 28-7-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

So how do you call someone who writes "G-d" instead of "God"?

Crazy? Or is that too insulting? How about unreasonable? Still though, to me at appears as the pinnacle of insanity a certain superstition can lead to (with possible dangerous consequences for those who don't want to follow in that path). And it certainly doesn't help my hopes in an ability to reason with someone doing that.

G-d A way of avoiding writing a name of G-d, to avoid the risk of the sin of erasing or defacing the Name.
jewfaq.org/defs/g-d

That's pretty much the reason. If the placeholder "God", which stands for the "Name" is written out, it would be impious to throw out the writing. "g.d" is just barely insignificant enough to throw out without sin, yet indicate what or who is being discussed.

I don't think piety is particularly a bad thing. What's piety to one person may seem to be superstition to another.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I don't understand how you can hold that view but still not believe we (atoms) are able to enter a vehicle. Is it possible our earthly senses see a split atom when it's not?

As long as this is understood as my theory I will use language as if it were fact, even though it may not be.

In the same way that the body decays into constituent parts and is distributed within the biosphere to become parts of other organic and inorganic forms, so also does the soul. The old person is gone. The new lifeforms possess that which once was a part of the old, all within the same biosphere in which the body decayed.

That would be my version of Epicurean Atomism. I haven't gotten much further along than Epicurus but there you have it.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

No I do not believe that.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

No I do not believe that.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Mind you I am not, nor have I ever been Christian, or vaguely Abrahamic

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I grew up in the bubble. After 35 years in I started heading out, 25 years later, and I'm out enough to look back at it. That's one tough membrane to get through, or maybe I'm just slow. From the outside, that bubble looks ridiculously small. Blessed are those who have only seen it from the outside.

edit on 28-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

That is true of everyone who lives with a certain point of view, and never sees or considers another. There is nothing wrong with being Christian, or Abrhamic, far from it. However, it is not the ONLY point o view. Its impossible to prove that one view is "correct".

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

There is nothing wrong with being Christian, or Abrhamic, far from it.

No, nothing particularly wrong with it. After all, I don't despise myself or my past. I'm too old to learn a new system, like astrology, or quantum physics, so it's easier to use the same language I already know and use it in slightly different ways.

I do enjoy conversing with Christians.
edit on 28-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

The seven things you listed in the OP are found in the law of Moses under the ten commandments. And not one of them can be found in the preserved word of God as being spoken to Noah. At best what you are quoting is a mans interjection upon God especially the last one.

Here is what can be found in the preserved word of what God spoke to Noah and every one of them is true today as they were back then.

1. Gen 9:2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. 2.Gen 9:3-6 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
3. Gen 9:7 And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.
4. Gen 9:9-17 And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you; And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth. And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I found a better list than the one I opened the thread with :New World Encyclopedia - Noahide Laws

The seven laws (commonly rendered as Sheva Mitzvot Shel Bnei Noach) are:
1.Do not deny G-d.
2.Do not blaspheme G-d.
3.Do not murder.
4.Do not engage in incest, adultery, pederasty, or bestiality, as well as homosexual relations.
5.Do not steal.
6.Do not eat of a live animal.
7.Establish courts/legal system to ensure law and obedience.

Now on this list:
3) is definitely in the Genesis passage. "at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man."
6) is an interpretation Gen 9:4 blood in it is still alive.
7) is implied in "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed" because trials with evidence is more organized than guessing who killed who and just killing random people as blood vengeance.

But yeah, they are from the Talmud. The Rabbis have done the hard work of narrowing down the minimum of rules by which Gentiles can order their lives and their societies.

Judaism holds that gentiles (goyim; "non-Jews,” literally “nations") are not obligated to adhere to all the laws of the Torah (indeed, they are forbidden to fulfill some laws, such as the keeping of the Sabbath in the exact same manner as Israel[1]). Rabbinic Judaism and its modern-day descendants discourage proselytization. The Noahide Laws are regarded as the way through which non-Jews can have a direct and meaningful relationship with G-d or at least comply with the minimal requisites of civilization and of divine law.
Several Christian congregations have abandoned traditional Christianity (rejecting the Nicene Creed) and adopted the First Covenant or Noahism in recent years. In the United States, a few organized movements of non-Jews (primarily of Christian origin) have either chosen to reject mainstream religious affiliation and live by the Apostolic Decree, which they view as the original Christian observance of Noahide Laws, or, under the influence of Orthodox Judaism, adhere to the Talmud's listing of the Laws (without converting to Judaism).

This link that I provide on this post has much other information.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

yeah they did a great job of placing the people under bondage with their interpretation. this is why Jesus came when he went to the cross he set Israel free from their laws and place all men under the law of liberty if they accepted his work of the cross.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

placing the people under bondage

What bondage? I don't think Jews go around groaning about being in bondage.

he set Israel free from their laws

Really, so the Covenant is null and void in the Age of Grace for Israel too? Not to question the "God of Israel" or anything, but wouldn't it be reasonable for the god to just do away with the Old Covenant altogether instead of having a plan to fire it back up at some future time?

Why not just cancel the distinction of Jew/Gentile forever under the law of liberty? Why keep the distinction for all eternity? Doesn't make any sense to a worldly person.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Paul equated the law with bondage

For the moment Israel is set aside as far as the kingdom, and Jews are saved like all other men.

God will fire the kingdom up very shortly, the old covenant means nothing without the cross and with it the cross is of more value. Without it Religious Jews will not prosper in the kingdom and more than likely be judged before their promised kingdom is up.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

edit on 29-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Now that that is settled and out of the way, I will use my imagination.
-----------------------------------------------
So the day comes, after mostly U.S. Christian churches have sent billions upon billions of dollars not only to cleanse the claimed Greater Israel territory of undesirable people and buildings, but to also rebuild and beautify the "Holy City Jerusalem", and funded the building of a temple, and the house wherein the Prince of the royal line of David lives.

The Great High Evangelical Ambassador for Christianity (GHEAC) turns to the Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem, Greater Israel, and the Nations Beyond (CRJGINB) and says, "Isn't the Prince going to move his throne into the temple now?"

(CRJGINB) replies, "Why in the World would he do that?"

(GHEAC) then says, "Because our book says that he's going to."

(CRJGINB): "But our book says he's supposed to live a certain distance from the temple, and never enter it completely but rather sit in the doorway."

(GHEAC): "But, but ..."

(CRJGINB): "You know what? We thank you for all the money and military support, but the deadline is now over. You said 3 1/2 years. That's passed. So issue the decree for all your followers to retract any notion that your Jesus is somehow your deity, renounce the Trinity, or you will all be beheaded."
---------------------------------------------
All just a fantasy scenario I'm sure.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
it just means a worldly man cannot understand the Bible or God or true spiritual things.

There are no scriptures that say Jesus will sit in a temple that is made today or during the 7 years of tribulation but the antichrist will sit on the mercy seat in the temple and proclaim he is god and the Jews will flee the city and most of Israel into surrounding countries.

When Jesus arrives on a white horse and wipes out his enemies and brings true peace to the earth we are not told he will sit in any temple that is made nor does the scriptures say he will build one of his own.

After a thousand years this earth will be destroyed and all the stars of heaven will be destroyed and a new earth and a new heaven created and then a throne city called the New Jerusalem will come from the heavens and sit upon the new earth and from their Jesus will be glorified forever.

the purpose of the earth was for the glorification of Jesus Christ it was God's purpose from the beginning read Prov 8:22, 23.

edit on 29-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join