It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long lost airman returns home over 60 years later

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hi everyone-

Here is a bit of local news that you might find interesting:

www.beloitdailynews.com...

The condensed version: in 1952, 23 year old Airman George Ingram was killed when the C-124 he was aboard crashed in a storm in Anchorage, Alaska. On board were a total of over 50 individuals. They were forced to try to land when the weather turned bad. So bad that a search party couldn't be sent out until 3 days later. The wreckage was located, but when the recovery team went to the site a few days later, it could no longer be located, and everyone aboard the plane was declared dead.

The wreckage remained hidden until it was spotted 60 years later by the National Guard in July 2012, 12 miles away from the original crash site due to the movement of the glacier the wreckage was on. The bodies were recovered and identified using DNA records.

Airman Ingram will be transported from Milwaukee this evening and will receive a full military funeral tomorrow morning.

Just a very interesting story that I wanted to share.

edit on 7/27/2016 by Cheddarhead because: typo

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

At first I thought this was going to be about tissue and brain reanimation from the deep freeze environment.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Must have not been any animals in the area for sixty years if they were intact.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
On a more solemn note.
I'm sure the families are grateful they can lay their loved ones to rest.

Rest in peace gentlemen.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Any photos of the wreckage/bodies?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Those were my feelings exactly. I'm glad that this person will receive a proper burial and his family can find closure.

On the way to work I passed the cemetary where the remains will by buried and the entire road leading to the entrance is lined with flags. The veteran's groups are making their plans to attend the service. He will be receiving the full honors.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The way you worded the OP makes it sound like he returned alive....a little misleading. I'm also quite sure after 60+ years no one is going to care about a dead body.
edit on 27-7-2016 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum

The way you worded the OP makes it sound like he returned alive....a little misleading. I'm also quite sure after 60+ years no one is going to care about a dead body.

If you saw the veterans groups lining the roads with flags and waiting for the body to be brought in from Milwaukee, you might change you mind.

The wording in the title is the same as what the newspaper used.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Actually, I won't change my mind, considering it's nothing more than a show. It has nothing to do with the person; it has everything to do with their patriotism - misguided as it might be.

new topics

top topics

join