It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns are for cowards

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think we can all agree that what we really need to do is put in place restrictions so that people who are not mentally stable or simply want to use a gun to promote violence will find it harder to buy one. It won't be easy, it may even seem impossible, bu that's why we need to stop fighting and start working together on the solution.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

PLEASE!
Gerber Mark II
International Scout 80.
Modded for Colorado.
If you are gonna talk GEAR ,to gear heads it 's ussually coloquial to the OWNERS choices.
THAT gerber was a heavier copy of the Sykes, Vietnam favorite ,according to my squad leader.I wear it inverted on my ALICE gear,when I hit the woods.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: missred

HERES the deal I don't WANT to use them on people even though I have the skill and reflexes to do so.
THAT, according to some ,is enough to disarm ANYONE coming home from war,it's supposde to be a legal insanity in thair eyes.
All the rules so far are corrupted by the lawyer factions of the United States.
If we surrender them we consider that dangerous and we THEN will be prepared to resist....which is then regarded the same from above.
WE also have trust issues.
CIVILIANS are acting nuts.
WE DON'T LIKE THAT,but ..so long as we are left alone ,we are FINE and have been for 240 years.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick7
I would agree, alone, a firearm is not sufficient to provide protection for one's family.

But for my 80 year old grandmother, who also has alarms, motion sensor lights and good doors it provides the perception of reduction of risk.

Read that carefully. It is part of a layered plan which is unlikely to ever be used, to provide the sense of risk reduction. She sleeps better at night. Is she safer? Not from a home invasion by a team of elite predatory criminals.

I get the whole it FEELS safer, but its not safer. Its worse. So what's more important to you, having your grandmother FEEL SAFER or actually BE SAFER.

Let me ask you, because I'm beginning to get a sense you have a hidden agenda...

1) Have you ever been bullied? If so, when and how.
2) Has someone in your family been harmed by a firearm? If so, some details without compromising them, would be nice.

Would you really BE safer if people gave up their firearms? I don't think it would have any effect. Would it reduce your perception of risk? Perhaps, but so would staying out of bars and dark alleys to about the same degree in reality.

To me, if the answers to 1) and 2) above are 'no', then you really have no dog in this fight. Maybe give it up?

If I haven't been shot or bullied I can't be involved in this debate? What kind of logic is that?

If people gave up their firearms it would certainly make you safer. That's what all the facts point towards. The only thing having a gun does at the minute is give you the perception of being safer, it actually does the opposite. It also gives insecure men the perception of self-worth.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: kyleplatinum

Why do the Amendments need to be questioned? Is it too complex for you to understand? Because its pretty damn straightforward.

You don't have to like it, agree with it or even understand it. There is nothing YOU can do about it. It was written by a lot of smarter people then you will ever be.

Nothing I can do about it. These Amendments... Amendments... do you even know what the word AMENDMENT means? Seriously.

You can also just give up with your weak scenario questions, they are all invalid just like your ideology.

Oh, and your so-called statistics are like movie reviews... they don't mean swat!

Statistics mean nothing? This is ignorance at its finest.

Blind faith over overwhelming evidence. Ridiculous.

You say "you feel sorry for anyone who has to live with a gun in their home"... Well, I say I feel sorry for anyone who has to live with YOU in your home.

Like I said before:

Typical non-American bashing Americans while constantly hanging on the coattails of America.

Who said i'm non-American. No-one is hanging on the coattails of America.

They are laughing at us, like you laugh at someone whose falls over... and then they realise, wait he's not getting up. This isn't funny anymore. America is a loser.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

How is taking away guns going to stop drive by shootings?

How does taking away guns stop gun related crime. Is that a serious question?

Most guns used in homicides arent registered to the shooter.

So is that statement supposed to support the current Gun ownership laws? Because it looks like the complete opposite.

More than 80% of guns used in mass shootings obtained legally.

Mexico has guns, and we have very little border security

Well maybe thats something we should deal with instead of arming ourselves but still doing nothing about crime.
Great society, everyone buy a gun and sit in your home staring at the door incase a criminal tries to come in.

Whats the saying of dealing with the symptoms instead of the problem?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SudoNim

If people gave up their firearms it would certainly make you safer. That's what all the facts point towards. The only thing having a gun does at the minute is give you the perception of being safer, it actually does the opposite. It also gives insecure men the perception of self-worth.

How does me giving up my firearm make you safer? I'd dearly love to see the facts that support that...

How does having a gun sitting safely in my desk drawer make me unsafe?

Insecure, eh? Do you have some reasoning behind that, or is that just a cheap shot?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Dude no offence but lets see them sell that at home before they start preaching. It would be nice.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

How is taking away guns going to stop drive by shootings?

How does taking away guns stop gun related crime. Is that a serious question?

Its not serious. Its a tactic having to do with the confusion caused by utter absurdity presented as some logically sustainable question of great profundity.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
There will be a complete ban of guns in the US in the next four years.. only police, military will be carrying guns in the future as it should be and is in the rest of the world.

A person of interest informed me of this.

Dont forget the criminals! they will still have their guns. when u need help now the police are only 15 mins away, if your lucky.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

An inanimate tool is only as dangerous or evil as the individuals wielding it.

So a toddler shooting themselves in the face? Toddlers aren't dangerous, so toddlers with guns aren't dangerous?

Or does your saying only work in the select scenarios that you want it to?

Another piece of perspective to investigate is taking a look at Australia who implemented a series of laws that would please you to the core. After their seemingly successful gun buyback plan in the late 90's after a massacre in Tasmania nobody seemed to notice that as a direct result of this, violent crimes skyrocketed in the following years. Assaults, home invasions and rapes went through the roof because criminals who don't care about following there were still drastic limits on the types of firearms available to the public but there were options available for the general populace to arm themselves for self defense. I often see anti 2A people lauding what Australia did as a model for Americas future but most of them are completely unaware that there are more privately owned firearms in Australia today than there were at the time of the Port Arthur massacre. just a little food for thought.

Yup homicides and suicides went down various other major and minor crimes went up. And there have been no mass shootings.
After that initial peak violent crimes, I believe(unable to double check right now) have been steadily dropping for the past 16 years.

Initial resistance is expected, just look at this thread and the macho manly commits when it comes to someone suggesting they don't need a gun. Such hostility.

Food for thought, did you know that America uses a different definition of "violent crime" to adjust their figures to be closer to other civilised countries, because if they didn't it would look ever more shocking?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

How does me giving up my firearm make you safer? I'd dearly love to see the facts that support that...

You giving up your firearm as part of a national change to the bastardised interpretation of an antiquated "right" would make the whole country safer.

You personally giving up your firearm would just make you, your family, your friends and anyone else you come into contact with safer.

How does having a gun sitting safely in my desk drawer make me unsafe?

How does it keep you safer?
Civilians producing a gun in the event of any criminal activity adds more risk to the situation than if they didn't.

And if you just leave it in there, it can be stolen.

What's the point in having it?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Seriously.

Ban guns all you want, criminals can still get guns regardless. Serious.

You'll need to cite that 80% stat. More people die per year by black on black crime using illegal guns than all mass shootings in US in the last few years.

Previously posted:

I found some stuff to share for all to consider if you will.

Just under 5% of gun crimes are commited with legally purchased guns.

That said, of the 70 inmates who had possessed a firearm, only 2, or 2.9 percent, had bought it at a gun store. The report found that percentage was in line with the findings of the Chicago Police Department when it traced weapons seized from suspected gang members. (For a glimpse into how guns move through a community, Cook's full article is good reading.)
Legal vs illegal gun stats from inmates

Why would you consider someone a coward for wanting to be equally poised in the event of an encounter? Encounters still happen, especially when considering Black on Black gun crimes. Would a black person who purchases a gun strictly for defense due to their environment be a coward?

The 2013 FBI Uniform Crime Report, a compilation of annual crime statistics, also shows similar data: 83 percent of white victims were killed by white offenders; 90 percent of black victims were killed by black offenders; 14 percent of white victims were killed by black offenders; and 7.6 percent of black victims were killed by white offenders.

Facts of race violence per crime by the FBI

Suggesting someone should forego a gun for protection FROM a gun is terrible advice. Its like campaigning for people to use paper instead of plastic bags, there is no option; You dont show up for a gunfight with a knife, most humans cant Judo themselves out of a shooting spree.

In fact a presidential candidate has a solution that includes a wall to keep out MOST illegal shipments and personnel.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I posted this experience a few years ago, but here it is again.

Several years ago a man was climbing into my 4 year old daughters bedroom window in the middle of the night. I had my shotgun pointed right as his head as he was almost in her room. He was halfway through the window. I yelled at him to stop but he didn't until he saw the barrel of the gun 12" from from his face. I'm a big man but this guy was even bigger and had no intention of stopping. Who knows what would have happened if I hadn't been armed and prepared to defend and protect my family!
We live in a dangerous world and should be prepared for the worst. I would never be able to forgive myself if my daughter had been harmed due to a silly aversion to guns.

That happened over 25 years ago, and fortunately has been the only time I have ever needed to use a gun to defend my family, but today my daughter is alive and well and getting ready to start a family of her own. Call me a coward if it makes you feel better, but I am confident I made the right decision.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

Over the past few years I have seen a lot of panic coming from the right that the left is going to somehow dismantle the second amendment. Which will be followed by a national confiscation program. In my opinion that's proof you're just a scared little man. A man-child that cannot resolve conflict without violence or deadly force.

The biggest cowards, in my opinion, are people like; James Holmes, Jared Loughner and Dylann Roof. Next in line are

Gun advocates and the NRA are fearful of unseen evils, they are the cowards, and they want everyone to cower with them. They want to sell you your own fear so you think you need a gun, they want you to be a coward. The NRA and the gun advocates have always know the price of everything and the value of nothing. It's also just good business.

Even though violent crime has been on the decline

In January 1936 Hitler's Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels declared, "We can do without butter, but despite all our love of peace not without arms. One cannot shoot with butter, but with guns." This began the Guns VS butter macroeconomic model. A simple relationship in a nations investment in defense vs civilian goods.

Dwight D Eisenhower in his Chance for peace speech

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people.

This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron. ... Is there no other way the world may live?

I've been saying this my entire life and it is true.
Guns are a cowards weapon.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

originally posted by: kyleplatinum

Why do the Amendments need to be questioned? Is it too complex for you to understand? Because its pretty damn straightforward.

You don't have to like it, agree with it or even understand it. There is nothing YOU can do about it. It was written by a lot of smarter people then you will ever be.

Nothing I can do about it. These Amendments... Amendments... do you even know what the word AMENDMENT means? Seriously.

You can also just give up with your weak scenario questions, they are all invalid just like your ideology.

Oh, and your so-called statistics are like movie reviews... they don't mean swat!

Statistics mean nothing? This is ignorance at its finest.

Blind faith over overwhelming evidence. Ridiculous.

You say "you feel sorry for anyone who has to live with a gun in their home"... Well, I say I feel sorry for anyone who has to live with YOU in your home.

Like I said before:

Typical non-American bashing Americans while constantly hanging on the coattails of America.

Who said i'm non-American. No-one is hanging on the coattails of America.

They are laughing at us, like you laugh at someone whose falls over... and then they realise, wait he's not getting up. This isn't funny anymore. America is a loser.

I said AmendmentS, as in Amendments to the Constitution.. You know, Articles in addition to, and amendment of, wait for it.. The Constitution. You know, the Amendments you said mean *#%! to you! Why do they need to be questioned?

The statistics are based off of half-ass data. Many defensive incidents are never reported by victims, or when they are, never get published. In fact, the overwhelming majority of the successful self-defense outcomes are those where the defendants’ guns are presented but never fired.

Too many variables, like I said, they don't mean swat!

I say your non-American, especially the way you talk of America/Americans. Just like the fools who walk on the flag, you all can leave since the other countries you speak of are better, right?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This is why you need a gun :

"If you don't know how to fight, all you're doing is gathering supplies for the toughest guy in the block".

edit on 29-7-2016 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster
www.gunsamerica.com... 0g&utm_campaign=/blog/san-francisco-police-officer-jailed-possession-manufacture-ar-15/
YOU were saying ....INCORRECTLY I am CLEARLY adding.
WANNA PLAY?

edit on 29-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
No. I asked how does my giving up my firearms make you safer. You implied just that in the post I replied to...

How?

No, it wouldn't make my family safer, since they're in no danger from it. It's an inanimate object. It would make everyone around me safer? Really? Do you know something about me that I don't?? Do tell.

How does it make me safer? Let's see. I'm fifty plus years old, with horrible knees...I plain don't move quite as well as I used to. That firearm, which I am trained in the use of, is an equalizer, since I make no claims to being a physical match for some 20 something bent on harming me, not with these damned knees anyway...

The only time it's in there (my desk), is when I'm there. Otherwise it travels with me. Concealed carry permits are wonderful things, the which bugs you a lot, I'm sure.

What's the point in having it, or it (plural)? I hunt, when the knees allow. I target shoot as a hobby. ...and I carry because there are miscreants out there who seem to believe that what's mine, is theirs by divine right or something. I disagree, and that firearm, actually there are two of 'em--one revolver and one is an automatic that give my argument a bit more weight.

You disagree, obviously. That is certainly your right, and I won't remove that right from you...why are you so set on removing mine? Which one of my rights are next? For the safety of others around me, of course...

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

In your opinion...

My opinion disagrees with yours. What a shame.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join