It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: IRS Expands Free Electronic Filing Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Tuesday, the IRS took a step that will allow almost every tax payer the option of filing their return, electronically for free. No need to buy expensive, hard to understand software. With this announcement, the IRS also said, that they are planning on ending the Telefile program, which allows tax payers to file via thier telephone.

www.cnn.com
The arrangement lets taxpayers avoid the cost of buying sophisticated tax preparation software and fees charged for electronic tax filing.

This marks the last year, however, that taxpayers can use the telephone as a paperless filing method. The IRS plans to end the TeleFile program, available to taxpayers with simpler returns, because of shrinking demand and a tightening budget.

"The number of people using it continues to go down between 7 and 10 percent a year," said Bert DuMars, IRS director of electronic tax administration. "It's become the most expensive tax return process we have at this point."

Taxpayers who opt to go online and use the free electronic filing program can browse 15 or more options, all tested for security and accuracy by the IRS. The IRS does not endorse any of the tax products or other services offered by participating companies.

At least three companies offer free tax preparation and electronic filing to everyone this year. Other participating companies require taxpayers to meet qualifications by age, income, military service or other factors.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The IRS expects 62 percent of taxpayers who file by telephone to turn to other electronic filing methods when the program ends at the end of the year. The remaining 37 percent are expected to complete their IRS forms by hand.

I have used free electronic filing for the past two years. I love it. I file the 1040-EZ form and have my refund direct deoposited, my money has made it to the bank in under 10 days.

Here is the link to the "free" site that I used last year.
www.freetaxusa.com...

[edit on 19-1-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

join