It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Will Launch A Probe Into the Sun

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: TrueBrit
X-points can be quite large (rivaling the diameter of Earth) but they aren't actually portals. They are more like paths. Magnetic "trails" which connect the Sun's magnetic field with Earth's. There is nothing to "pass through" but charged particles would tend to follow the path.

Kind of like the Io flux tube?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
How are they going to even get close enough to plunge into the sun? If the surface is 10.000 degrees Fahrenheit and the corona is 200 times hotter then no material we can produce will even make it close to the corona

a quick google found me the highest melting point material being an alloy called Tantalum hafnium carbide melting point of 7128 °F and I think pure carbon comes in higher but you cant build a space probe with pure carbon

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TigStar82
How are they going to even get close enough to plunge into the sun? If the surface is 10.000 degrees Fahrenheit and the corona is 200 times hotter then no material we can produce will even make it close to the corona

a quick google found me the highest melting point material being an alloy called Tantalum hafnium carbide melting point of 7128 °F and I think pure carbon comes in higher but you cant build a space probe with pure carbon

It will dive through the outer corona and be as close as 3.7 million miles from the photosphere (visible surface) of the Sun, which is not the hottest part of the corona, but still considered part of the corona.

It will need to withstand temperatures of around 2500 degrees F.

Solar Probe Plus Mission Overview

edit on 2016-7-27 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Which is why I am constantly astounded at how far ISON made it. Stupid dissapointing ISON

If I recall some of it made it round.. i know a comet isn't just ice but it's not titanium alloy either. And no, this doesn't mean it was electric (you know who you are)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

"Carbon-carbon carbon foam heat shield", so OK, got it, graphene and graphene aerogel but that is not right! Carbon foam is not the same as the aerogel.

From Engineering.com - Burnt Bread Makes Strong Carbon Foam?.

They make a regular loaf of bread first, then control burn it in an oven in argon gas to keep it from catching fire and make carbon foam! That is pretty crazy! And I learned something new today!

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
If they were smart, they'd send it at night.

Yeah, I always wondered how that worked.

Hope they find something interesting!

What? There is no night.. It's the sun.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: burgerbuddy

I'm more curious if people will somehow find images of rocks on/near the sun and claim it to be prehistoric Alien life

Oh yeah, the pareidolia will be in full bloom.

But hell, they don't even bring a decent camera to mars.

So I don't know what it will look like with all the filters they will have.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

It will dive through the outer corona and be as close as 3.7 million miles from the photosphere (visible surface) of the Sun, which is not the hottest part of the corona, but still considered part of the corona.

It will need to withstand temperatures of around 2500 degrees F.

Solar Probe Plus Mission Overview

Ahh I see, that explains that one, the quote in the OP made it sound like it would plunge into the sun itself

2500°F is still on the toasty side tho, it will need some serious insulation to keep the equipment inside alive and well for as long as pos, more time, more data.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
It is obvious why.

But I guess they have to send the probe to prove it, like all science it has to be proven without doubt.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I think EVERYONE in this thread forgot that the solar corona is very rarefied gas/plasma, vith very low density. It's not like dipping your toe into a pool of water that's millions of degrees; it's more like being in a vacuum chamber where the few air molecules have kinetic temperatures of millions (something similar happens in our atmosphere's "thermosphere").
edit on 28-7-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
I think EVERYONE in this thread forgot that the solar corona is very rarefied gas/plasma, vith very low density. It's not like dipping your toe into a pool of water that's millions of degrees; it's more like being in a vacuum chamber where the few air molecules have kinetic temperatures of millions (something similar happens in our atmosphere's "thermosphere").

I didnt forget that, since i never knew that. Thanks Wildespace

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

But what about the radiating heat? Surely THAT is still incredibly hot that close?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

double post.
edit on 7/28/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
perhaps if NASA launched a giant MF LHC into the Sun, it would create a Star Gate, opening the Timeless exit point spoke of by the Ancient Gods of Egypt and Sumeria, enabling them to return to Terra 'earth' and continue their Rule over Mankind rendering Power hungry Nations and their nuclear arsenal world wide completely useless.
... jk.. maybe.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

As NASA's Parker Solar Probe spacecraft begins its first historic encounter with the sun's corona in late 2018—flying closer to our star than any other mission in history—a revolutionary cooling system will keep its solar arrays at peak performance, even in extremely hostile conditions.

phys.org, June 27, 2017 - The revolutionary technologies that power and cool the Parker Solar Probe.

Nice write up on the cooling system! Looks like it has been given a name as it is now "Parker Solar Probe" even on googling "solar plus probe". D@mn Manatee Effect!

They just called it, "Thermal Protection System," and left it at that! No word on the carbon foam or anything.

Don't send me the email! I have the new cover sheet for the TPS report!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join