It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Will Launch A Probe Into the Sun

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I wonder what kind of material they will use for that ?
porcelain ? works great for my coffee

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
hmm...how is time measured on the sun...

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Clearly oven mitts is the best answer here

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: Spacespider

Clearly oven mitts is the best answer here

I add nothing to ATS.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Thats a great question... I would think it would be a package that would be slowly consumed so any instrumentation wouldn't burn up in the initial but once on impact slowly be consumed allowing some data to actually be retrieved sort of like a nut with a casing that can withstand the initial and the meat of the matter only exposed shortly after impact.

Ceramics are a typical insulator... especially in kilns. I'm sure some sort of meta materials will be involved likely some synthetics of asbestos and the like.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
How long until panic-stricken people start saying that diving a probe into the Sun will blow it up or something?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

Hey if you're one but scared to admit it that's cool... as your possibly hypothetical construct cannot receive any possible ridicule.

But it may not be so bad, a poster said they didn't believe in space in another thread... respect for standing up and having the balls and stand by the conviction was a given despite all the mocking.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Maybe Nasa will use one of the x-point portals connecting the Earth to the Sun. This could be revolutionary if they now know how to find them.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
but won`t the gravitational pull of nibiru pull the probe off course,because you know nibiru is hiding behind the sun, or under the sun, or inside the sun or ......

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TamtammyMacx

From what I understand of that phenomenon, only particle sized objects can pass through an X-point. Putting an entire probe through would be like threading the eye of a needle in an oversized aircraft carrier, with an enormous sports spoiler on the back end.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
X-points can be quite large (rivaling the diameter of Earth) but they aren't actually portals. They are more like paths. Magnetic "trails" which connect the Sun's magnetic field with Earth's. There is nothing to "pass through" but charged particles would tend to follow the path.

edit on 7/27/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

The reverse happens in human created fusion reactions! The further out from the center plasma the cooler it gets. They just figured out the miniscule turbulence they decided to overlook in the center plasma in fusion reactors actually synergizes with the larger turbulence to create a barrier to the radio beams being used to heat the plasma. Possible that the same thing is happening on the sun's surface versus the corona? I would bet that this probe will be looking for the same.

I hope they send a blue whale with the probe to loop around the sun and go forward in time so the giant space probe doesn't blow up the earth in the distant future!

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

If they were smart, they'd send it at night.

Quite true.

They're also considering a manned mission. They've already thought through many of the details of the spacecraft design, such as being able to open the windows and doors to help keep the spacecraft cool in the hot sun.

Of course they've also designed it with screens on those windows and doors to keep the flies out.
edit on 2016-7-27 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

If they were smart, they'd send it at night.

Quite true.

They're also considering a manned mission. They've already thought through many of the details of the spacecraft design, such as being able to open the windows and doors to help keep the spacecraft cool in the hot sun.

Of course they've also designed it with screens on those windows and doors to keep the flies out.

I heard it was going to be a convertible.

Rumor has it, they're sending a Toyota Solara.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but what are the odds that, as the probe approaches, a massive solar storm blows it off-course and it doesn't do what it's supposed to do? I just wouldn't find that unbelievable.

I've always been interested in what we don't know about the sun, but also what we claim that we do know about the sun and how accurate that really is. I remember learning about the temperature of the corona versus the surface of the sun way back in astronomy in college, and I'm still amazed by that fact today. I would love to know what materials and gasses and plasmas and the sort surround the sun. I'm excited about this.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I sure hope they remember to;

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I think that was photoshopped. He's not even wearing shorts or sunglasses.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap
How long until panic-stricken people start saying that diving a probe into the Sun will blow it up or something?

They can look at the SOHO/LASKO archives and see all of the small comets it has sucked up over the years. Some go in and never come out.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh really?

That's a new one on me. I have been misinformed, my apologies.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Now, this is an exciting mission. Wow

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join