It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people proud of being 'old-fashioned'?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
"0ld fashioned" is an expression many of us use when reasoning how things once were, in response to not really feeling at ease with the new ways.

I can't just go along with something I feel, or was taught is not right just because it's the new way. So I'll say I'm just old fashioned. I wouldn't say I'm saying it with pride, it's just a disclaimer

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

yes it has, your post count continues to rise, that is prof .

but if you want to be technical.

just do the math,

more population+internet= more stupid sh*t.

but i get it, u just like to argue anything that doesn't fall in line with your perspective

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

no the media creates a false reality that many people buy into, i assume your one of those people based on your statement on the media

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Stinks like TRANHUMANISM.. and I'm OLD any way so I know better.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

You can pick and choose which parts of history you adhere to. People say you cannot, but people also vote for the lesser of two evils, which is an evil and above all stupid thing to do.

I adhere to being a gentleman, respecting people without exception, unless they prove by their actions that they cannot be respected. I choose to speak English in the manner that my grandparents did, rather than in the butchered parlance of the modern age.

That does not mean that I associate myself with backwards thinking on matters of racial equality and the rights of LGBT persons, for example. I simply place a greater value on my conduct toward others, than what I get in return, which is a very old fashioned thing. I value my honour, another old fashioned thing. These are not negatives.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
its about morality there simply stating they adhere themselves to a finer set of morals, sociopaths cant understand this. are you having issues?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
OP?

How old are you, roughly will do.

P

That's a very well-crafted ad hominem, and good use of the genetic fallacy as well. All wrapped into one. So succinct too.

originally posted by: Substracto
Because in the old days people had values, more values than you actually see today, we have so much more education available to us than in the old days, but still, people do so much more stupid sh*t now, than before.

The facts do not match what you say. For instance, involuntary slavery was abolished in the West because morality improved.

a reply to: Aegeus

All you did was write a list of opinions. You actually have to present evidence to prove something.

originally posted by: missed_gear

to me, "old-fashioned" simply means one adheres to a previous version of matrix programming.

You lost me here. Matrices come in many forms: One, two, three, four dimensions and a theoretical fith. Behind each variable or constant in the mentioned possible matrices is a Tableau and those drill further and further down as well...

I left it open to interpretation because people see the matrix as being different things. Some see it as being the entire world. Some see it as being only society. Some see it as being other things.

However you look it at, "fashioned" in this context is synonymous with shaped. I don't think that's anything to be proud of.

originally posted by: TrueBrit
I simply place a greater value on my conduct toward others, than what I get in return, which is a very old fashioned thing. I value my honour, another old fashioned thing. These are not negatives.

It's great that you can admit that you're cherry picking what you're being "old-fashioned" about. I appreciate your candor a lot.

originally posted by: MConnalley
its about morality there simply stating they adhere themselves to a finer set of morals, sociopaths cant understand this. are you having issues?

What morality are you referring to? The morality of the Bible?

Deuteronomy 21:21: Kill disobedient children

The morality of the society that produced the Dred Scott decision?

"Old-fashioned" values and morals were not better than that of today. I have overwhelming evidence to prove my case, do you?
edit on 27-7-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   

love that waterfall

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Aren't you taking this example as some form of campaign which doesn't address why people from other countries regard themselves as 'old fashioned', they still have that perceived value but not your given circumstance/example?

I wonder if by calling oneself 'old-fashioned' it may not mean that they know exactly whom they are and how they feel about things. Whereas today we have an awful lot of 'butterfly' people and celebrity personalities who one day like one thing and the net have moved onto the next fad, always chasing something.

The important thing, whether old fashioned or not is your attitude to life and others and especially the value of being open minded.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I have to admit, I am one of the "old fashionedistas" too.
I can honestly say things WERE better when I was younger and people WERE less stupid than today. It always amazes me that the (supposedly) more technologically advanced we become, the dumber people become and are even more reliant on the "authorities" to help them, rather than being self-reliant.

People work silly hours, producing the latest technological marvels that are, in reality, just small incremental technology updates to what came the previous year, but hang on the words of the marketing men believing they must have it or be looked upon by the rest of the herd as some medieval luddite!
Is it all needed, does it further mankind's existence? Of course not!
I do see technology advances (some of them at least) as having a positive impact, but on the other hand there are the negative impacts. It's ironic (or hypocritical) to see so many of the current generation spouting the latest social media causes and telling the older generation they know nothing, like they are the vanguard of the new enlightened and evolved humanity, while being led by the nose by the very corporate entities who seek to control them, and are also tied to the worst polluters and destroyers of the environment. Marketing really does work wonders it seems!

Crime is rampant in most places, driven by sheer greed or feelings of superiority over others. Where have the morals, ethics and downright good manners gone?

At 53 I may indeed be viewed as an old fart, or well on my way, but at least I am old enough to know to question everything and view things with a critical perspective. I have always treated others with courtesy and respect, when it's due / earned yet I now get criticized for speaking out on issues as it's no longer the correct, socially engineered, groupthink, led by people with very little actual life experience outside what social media tells them to follow. I am sure there are some who'd like all us "old fashioned" types to be denied voting rights (Brexit being an example) and would rather we were reprocessed...... Soylent Green anyone?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

You have to pick and choose.

There is, of course a great importance in being able to move forward from positions which are greatly unhealthy, even if they are entrenched and have existed for generations. In fact, this is one of the most important things we can do as people, learning from the mistakes of the past. But one of the mistakes of the past is to totally abandon ALL aspects of what has been before. The best way forward, is to select things that worked well for us in times past, AND things that that will work well in the future, from the palate of both the past and the present, so that the future contains the best mixture possible, with as few negatives remaining as we can manage.

It's like a toolkit. You can have a great, modern electronic screwdriver, but if you forgot to pack a manual backup, you may run out of juice at some point.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Thanks for reminding me, i need a screw driver.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
You hear it all the time, "I'm an old-fashioned woman", "I'm an old-fashioned man." Why are people proud of that?

To me, "old-fashioned" simply means one adheres to a previous version of matrix programming.

Those who think that being "old-fashioned" is something to be proud of generally seem to think that people were more moral in the past. Therefore, holding onto the morals and values of the past is commendable.

When I think of "old-fashioned" values, the Dred Scott decision comes to mind.

The court held that Scott was not free based on his residence in either Illinois or Wisconsin becausehe was not considered a person under the U.S. Constitution–in the opinion of the justices, black people were not considered citizens when the Constitution was drafted in 1787. According to Taney, Dred Scott was the property of his owner, and property could not be taken from a person without due process of law.

LINK

That's the epitome of "old-fashioned" values to me.

Why are people proud to identify with things like that?

"Old-fashioned" values and morals were not better than that of today. It's simply a previous version of matrix programming.

I believe the duty of all of us is to eliminate all matrix programming from our lives. That is the only path to freedom in my opinion.

Oh Pish,
Screw the "matrix".

Old fashioned means craftsmanship.
Like grabbing some hand tools instead of going out to Ikea and dropping more cash on something you could have fashioned yourself if you had a clue.

It means manners,
Yes Sir, Yes Ma'am
Opening doors for someone just because it's polite.

Old Fashioned means food that isn't GMO

Old fashioned means doctoring yourself with what's available and not seeing the latest pill on TV and hounding your doctor for it.

It means a LOT of things you failed to include on your OP and NONE of them are a bad thing, or unfashionable, or have anything to do with a catchphrase from a movie.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Sometimes change is good and sometimes it is bad.

Look at the sexual revolution for example. 1 million babies aborted every year in the U.S., and 1/4 of people under 25 having a venereal disease. Meanwhile v.d.s are becoming more and more resistant to meds.

Sal

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Because back then the police stopped & TALKED to you like a real human being,they had more compassion and respect for the common citizen. Back then your neighbor was a trusted person in your life. Today, do you even know your neighbor's name? BAck then schools actually taught our kids something. Reading, Writing & arithmetic.

Today, cops treat all like their perps...even if you are the one that called them. Today your neighbor is an un-trusted stranger.....even if you've been neighbors for 10 years. And today our schools teach our youth only one thing.......how to be a good consumer. Call me old fashion......I take it as a compliment.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I like more old-fashioned food in the sense that I like to cook as much as I can from scratch.

Are you going to argue with me that it's better for me to cook as much of everything as I can from a bottle, box mix, or can using as much processed convenience food as I can find to substitute for the actual authentic ingredients?

I also like to crochet my own throws instead of buying store bought ones. It means picking my own patterns and colors.
edit on 27-7-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
When I was 8, my cousin and I used to be able to walk to the local store, one that had been there and ran by the same man for 30 years. On the way, we were watched by neighbors and family because we all looked out for each other. Even someone stopping to offer 2 little boys a ride was not a cause for the SWAT team to be called. We also knew that, if we got out of line, our parents would know before we got back.
Would you let an 8 year old walk to the store now? Would your neighbors watch out for them....or call the police and you'd be arrested? We both know the answer to that.
There are so many example of life being, maybe not "better", but people had stronger morals, a much better work ethic and no one expected everything to be handed to them and whined Loudly if it wasn't. No one expected anything for free and if they honestly think it's free now, they've just blinded themselves for convenience.
If you really think it's better now, I'd say your not old enough to know the difference.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Those who think that being "old-fashioned" is something to be proud of generally seem to think that people were more moral in the past.

As a society, we were. You've only to watch television to realize how low we have sunk.

People now would rather take video of someone in trouble than help them. Women walk around half naked and popular singers routinely act like they're having sex as they sing. When a group of people are having a conversation, it's no longer one speaker at a time, it's a free-for-all. People invited to lecture are no longer given respectful, tolerant silence when they speak. Few people these days say "please", "thank you", and "excuse me".

Some of these things are not moral/ethical issues, but they point to a deeper pathology within the species.

One thing I forgot to mention, young people do not understand the age-old concept of PRIVACY. They think they are entitled to know everything about everyone to the point that they routinely ask highly inappropriate questions of complete strangers.
edit on 7/27/2016 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

DAVID64, many MANY stars for the above post. As kids we traveled for miles on our bikes and not once were we ever threatened, solicited or touched by anyone.
edit on 7/27/2016 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/27/2016 by Creep Thumper because: not with it today.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Primarily because it is all the "new fashioned" stuff that has got us into the mess we currently enjoy.

Yes, believe it or not, there was a time when a man worked and made a living wage good enough to support his entire family. A woman's place truly was in the home. Because the economy was such that she didn't "have" to work in order for the family to survive from her husband's pay check each week.
I am not saying a woman "should" not work, and I have gotten in trouble for this before, I am saying it should not be that a married woman "has" to work in order for the family unit to have a reasonable life style. She should be able to have a choice in such matters.
Another thing which may seem "old fashioned" to a lot of people is the idea of building things which last. Now days everything is disposable so we have to keep buying more and more of the same things.

This is only a small part of the "old fashioned" mind set which I miss most and which I think served us well in the past.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Sounds like you are a cultural relativist OP, pretty much the cancer that's eating at the root of western society at the moment

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join