It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever Notice No One Replies to the Reasonable Posts?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Your post is very reasonable. Plenty of replies

edit on 26-7-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I believe some members are more creative than others, which shows in their choice of topics. Second hand news is often an immediate topic, immediate from the moment of occurrence, sometimes with enormous replies count. Beyond the pro's and con's they are, and become, pedantic. Other topics really grab attention, usually of a biological, science or astronomical topic. Those have a keener curiosity factor, and thus are widely read and participated in. You have religion and the mud pit that always follows, and ocassionally very interesting short stories.

The demographics are changing, hence my previous post with You tube links. It seems inconceivable the polar opposites in morals, compassion and courtesy demonstrated in many topics.... Where it seems common sense is replaced with wild speculation, ranting and all but name calling. I have fallen into that pit myself on occasion, incredulous as I am of the responses, I have learned to just be silent.

I see the star system as a competition, not of quality, but rather content count.
As a member I am mostly content with the direction ATS is going, though it has lost a bit of the early-on charisma, still I enjoy participation.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

This happens mainly on the controversial threads when one poster makes a post that invalidates any prior argument made by the OP or the other contributors. They will automatically ignore said post due to the inability to prove it wrong. At that time they will just start bickering with the other half-thought out posts made by other contributors as to mute the points brought forward by the "ONE UNARGUMENTABLE POST". Or start getting personal against the poster to derail the original talking point.

I can't assure that the people that do this are "shills", since it is within normal human nature to react that way when you can't win the argument.

Thanks for pointing it out!

edit on 7/26/2016 by efabian because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/26/2016 by efabian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Is it conceited to say yes?
I'm certain that there are many who would disagree with my assessment of the logic of my posts.

That being said.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

There's a reason why the Alex Jones of the world make so much money. Outrageous is interesting.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
That is where I get bored and lost with most threads. I read for the content and when it becomes a bickering session the topic is null and void. Although one might make a good point on topic, it seems to be overlooked in order to keep up the rhetoric. Maybe I'm just getting old. 🍺

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

If the post is completely reasonable and logical then there is no reason to debate it.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I am one of those posters who don't get many comments but do get stars.

My posts usually, not always, try not do be mean or derogatory and attempt to post my opinion in a straight forward way or just add additional content to enhance the op.

I hate controversy and can easily fall into being defensive unless i am in an energetic enough mood to post evidence to the contrary.

I don't need argumentative responses here...

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Nail, head, bang!

I dont know whats happened to Ats the last two years but its just getting worse.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
Ever notice no one replies to the reasonable posts?

If you post a totally ridiculous point, or spout the normal partisan talking points. You will have countless responses. But if you give a reasonable logical response or possible fix for an issue, you will get crickets.

Just a weird observation.

I feel ya. I could go dig up many SOLUTIONS Threads on every issue I ever much dug into, all crickets threads. The same effect for a decade I've noted here (and elsewhere). Issues include plenty of political angles/issues, saving the dead 9/11 Truth Movement (both before and after, the environment (BP Oil Spill and more), saving the nation, and lately I've got some real juicy solutions threads that would solve the biggest remaining problem set for these poor SJW's, the BLM in particular (and they hardly touched em!).

Check out this one where I actually did a study on this effect here in ATS on that molten HOT BP oil crisis issue where everyday the doomongers were flagging up the threads basically making it the ONLY news for something like 6 months.

Dear Oil SCREAMongers: REALITY CHECK!
HYPOCRISY: In the Fragile Earth forum (alone) I just counted 375 threads about the Gulf Gusher. Only a tiny handful are about solutions, while the vast majority are guilt and fear mongering scream fests. ...

*Only 16 threads were one-shot ideas about ways to handle problems related to the Gusher: ...
*Only five were about ways of boycotting or harming BP to teach them a lesson. One of which is my thread: ...
*Only THREE threads in some way asked for solutions, the biggest rally cry thread being started by myself: ...
*Only TWO threads rallied for people to actually hands on help in some way: ...
*Only ONE thread acknowledged the various forms of oil products we ALL use, and tried to rally for actual conservation of oil related products (other than just GAS): ...
*Furthermore, I didn't notice a single thread title that mentioned the 11 platform workers who died in the initial accident.

edit on 26-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I have also noticed this, posts it seems are becoming more and more reactionary than actual debates

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Hasn't the number of replies to your OP disproven your own theory?!

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
I dont know whats happened to Ats the last two years but its just getting worse.

You can thank the entirely bigoted mass mindset of the PC Culture / Social Justice Warriors, whose entire platform has hypocritical bigotry as its foundation.

And its only a few years old basically, so imagine after 5 years, 10 years, 25 years of millions of these people running around on social media, and targeting all the youth, infecting everyone with their hate centered mantra pushing for "justice" which really means REVENGE.

And to think the stuff the OP is getting at, like my above post, this is kind of how its always been. But now its getting worse at an alarming rate, which is why when I noticed the cause and effect here in ATS this summer I had to rise up for a minute to help deconstruct this stuff.

edit on 27-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daavin
I have also noticed this, posts it seems are becoming more and more reactionary than actual debates

Exactly right. These are the posts that get the most response. I try to avoid.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yes thats a huge part of the problem.

ill write more tomorrow but yeah, great answer

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
Ever notice no one replies to the reasonable posts?

If you post a totally ridiculous point, or spout the normal partisan talking points. You will have countless responses. But if you give a reasonable logical response or possible fix for an issue, you will get crickets.

Just a weird observation.

Ive noticed this as well. Good for you for pointing it out. Just creating this topic alone is a simple test to prove what you say is the true. Lets see how many comment on the op, the types of responses by the participants and to whats being responded to. My guess is the reasonable will come and s&f. Post a commemt in agreement and the thread will die out. Unless.....taking one for the team in 3....2

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Hasn't the number of replies to your OP disproven your own theory?!

The irony...

You feeling ignored Matallicus?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Valid observation, but i think the reasoning is straightforward. I rarely reply to a 'reasonable' post I agree with, except by throwing a star at it. Unless i have a tangential addition or feel a part of it really deserves reinforcement, then i feel as though the poster already said it, so all i would be doing by replying is to say, "yeah, I agree!" - my star says that already.

Much the same reason a really amazing OP often gets lots of flags, few replies, and most of those are "Great OP! Thanks for putting in the work!" Etc.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
My wife said something this morning that made me think of this thread.

Someone she went to school with is on her FB friends. We all have them: the hot mess we used to know, and keep on FB just for sheer entertainment. This lady mentioned something like, "no one Likes anything that is real life stuff. You only get likes for things that are funny and cute." The implication being that no one really cares about all the things she is constantly whining about.

The reality: no one will validate you socially....but everyone is reading while eating popcorn.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

Valid observation, but i think the reasoning is straightforward. I rarely reply to a 'reasonable' post I agree with, except by throwing a star at it. Unless i have a tangential addition or feel a part of it really deserves reinforcement, then i feel as though the poster already said it, so all i would be doing by replying is to say, "yeah, I agree!" - my star says that already.

Much the same reason a really amazing OP often gets lots of flags, few replies, and most of those are "Great OP! Thanks for putting in the work!" Etc.

I think the reality is that strong minded people (which ATS tends to attract) do not participate in back clapping echo chambers. We take part in debate. Our agreement is implicit in our silence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join