It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of the Blue/black flag in support of law enforcement?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

ok i get what you are saying i could talk with him but you know first impressions are everything maybe i just feel like there is some underlying judgement on his behalf as well so im reluctant to make the first move...

plus i dont know if he has a girlfriend (ive seen a new car hanging around...) i dont know that she would like some 25 year old woman coming over with beer for her boyfriend!

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamlotus1111

Bwahahahaha! Probably best to go over when the other car is gone.

You are going to do what you like anyhow, but being objective and exposig yourself to nearly anyone and everyone will open your eyes in ways you'd never believe and ATS or the internet never could.

I know I just did this for an extended period and now make it my practice.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesungod

Bwahahahaha! Probably best to go over when the other car is gone.

You are going to do what you like anyhow, but being objective and exposig yourself to nearly anyone and everyone will open your eyes in ways you'd never believe and ATS or the internet never could.

I know I just did this for an extended period and now make it my practice.

I wholeheartedly disagree!!! Go when the car is there and bring 3 beers. You might like her better anyway.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: anotheramethyst

Even better advice than mine.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I like good cops. They need to be praised. But more importantly, they need to call out their violent counterparts. Except cops are a gang, and if one speak out they become ostracized. And they don't want to lose their jobs. So they mostly stay quiet. That makes them bad cops too. Because we did not pardon Nazis using that excuse. Except Werner Von Braun.

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111
I've only been in the house for about a year now and i called him out for parking his big truck all in my driveway and i think he got pissed off at me.

Delivery is key. Honest question not meant to offend: Were you an asshole about it? If you were, don't be surprised at his response. I myself make it a point to always ask nicely the 1st time. I wasn't there, so I ask: How was your approach?

he is kind of a crabby old dude. doesnt smile much or say hello i think he is from the south. he has these ugly bails of hay in the yard old wooden wheels and cow skulls decorating the front of his house.

Sounds southern to me. That doesn't mean the guy is an asshole. To judge a man by his appearance & decor without speaking to him is prejudice. Pre-Judice = Before-Judgement = Judging before finding out.

When i moved in he never formally came over and said hi i thought that was rude...

Who does that anymore? I've never been greeted by neighbors like that. Did you want him to come over with a home baked pie? Why don't you holler at him as he's parking and invite him over for a beer? Go over there when the game is on. Find out if he's an asshole before giving him the finger. Don't treat him the way black people are treated. It's frakked up in either case.

Trolls are real. I am not trying to troll, or offend. I'm being sincere.
edit on 7262016 by MayanBoricua because: Mistakes Were Made

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I don't think its a big deal. Its no different than those who hang the flags that represent a military member living there, or being loved and supported by the family. People hang up all kinds of flags to show what they support. This person clearly supports the police. Could your neighbor be a major D bag? Sure, but that has nothing to do with their blue line flag, IMO anyways.

And ya know, S&F for posting, because even though we might see this differently, I still thought it was a good thread. Some people have never seen that flag before!

Also, when I moved back into the home I grew up in, now as an adult, some of my old buddies still lived there, but not a single one of the new neighbors introduced themselves. We've lived there for 5 years now, and when I wave to them as I come down the street they eye screw me. You know, the big eff you while they just stare through your soul....... So, I feel your pain on rude neighbors lol.

-Alee
edit on 7/27/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/27/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

originally posted by: intrptr

Who invented the idea of a flag anyway?

Bits of colored cloth.

Cloths of hate and death is more like it

Don't buy into it. Let them wave their flags, plant, rally round, and defend their flags. Its a form of manipulation and control. Once you see it that way it loses its power over you. Even the power of hate and death.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
That saying that you supposedly have only one first impression to make is not entirely true.

There are two types of first impressions to be had.

The one you develop yourself from only your own internal input (the one formed by your own prejudices, and we all have them regardless....), and the one you develop with the assistance of the one you are forming it of, through actually meeting and interacting with that person.

Psych yourself up and go figure some way to start a conversation with your neighbor even if he does seem to be a flag waving zealot of a pin-head prick that doesn't give a damn about anything but.....

Do as I say, Not as I do.....

(PartSarc)

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

However as someone who doesn’t see eye to eye wth law enforcement most of the time and the fact that there is so much controversy surrounding police at the moment I don’t know how I feel about someone hanging this on their home. Its definitely an in your face message that to me says Im with them and against anyone that is not.

What do you all think? Any thoughts?

My thoughts?

I think that you have a very limited knowledge of police interactions, as the vast, VAST majority are conducted respectfully and resolved very peacefully. If you actually look at stats and figure out how tiny the percentage of police interactions with civilians that go bad really is, you might amend your opinion, if you're basing that opinion on fact.

I think that supporting and respecting law enforcement--buy also calling for appropriate prosecution when necessary when a LEO goes bad--is a perfectly acceptable (and dare I say, intelligent) approach to everyday life. People who tend to rely on the two-sided, us-versus-them mentality display a high level of low intelligence.

I think that anyone who publicly displays something that they support on their own property really is none of anyone else's business. You are free to dislike it, and you are free to have your views on law enforcement and people who might let it be known that they support them, but honestly, it's none of your business what your neighbors put up in their yard.

Personally, I don't usually display a flag--I'm a veteran, as was my grandfather, as is my wife and many of our family and friends, but I don't feel a need to put my pride or support for anyone or anything out on display for everyone to see. If someone finds that rude or in poor taste, I really don't care. Same would go for someone who felt it necessary to concern themselves with my choice if I did display flags, no matter what the meaning.

So, seriously, do some research into LEO stats, look at percentages (not just raw numbers), and then go from there. You might just change your mind and realize that the dramatic majority of LEOs are simply decent human beings out to enforce laws (that they didn't write, btw) and who would be willing to take a bullet for people like you, even if you don't trust or like them.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ok, first off it is simply a flag made to copy a police fraternity symbol. They make it into stickers and license plates and wristbands etc...

It is refered to as the Thin Blue Line and represents two things 1) the brotherhood of police and 2) support for fellow fallen officers. It is traditional that only LEOs and their families display it. I have known officers that get very upset with people who display it who are not LEOs (mainly because alot of people do so in order to get out of tickets). I am a former officer (for reasons of political corruption etc... within the force) and I do not display my Thin Blue Lines anymore (even after officer deaths) and I reasonably could. So yes, I believe you should go talk to your neighbor if it bothers you. You will likely find one of two things 1) he is a former officer or is related to one, or 2) he supports the 1% of people who go out and put themselves between you and the badguys on a daily basis. And before you start saying that all cops are crooked . . . remember that less then 3% of cops are "bad apples" which is much better than the vast majority of other professions.

Steps down from soap box.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join