It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threatened to the Core - White Christians All in On Trump

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

When my research associates and I once asked politically conservative Christians scoring high on authoritarianism to imagine what their life (and their world) might have been like had they never found religious faith, many described utter chaos—families torn apart, rampant infidelity and hate, cities on fire, the inner rings of hell.

By contrast, equally devout politically liberal Christians who scored low on authoritarianism described a barren world depleted of all resources, joyless and bleak, like the arid surface of the moon. For authoritarian Christians, a strong faith—like a strong leader—saves them from chaos and tamps down fears and conflicts. Donald Trump is a savior, even if he preens and swears, and waffles on the issue of abortion.

Source (The Atlantic Magazine)

This clip from Religulous demonstrates the same concept:

Maybe it's true that they WOULD flip out without religion. Those who don't need religion to be decent people have the advantage, I think.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Maybe it's true that they WOULD flip out without religion. Those who don't need religion to be decent people have the advantage, I think.

After years of reading/research, vision quest, etc - - - I finally accepted I am atheist (at age 65).

It was the most enlightening epiphany I've ever experienced.

I became completely responsible for myself and my own actions.

No excuses, no "go to guy", just me.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It takes a long long long time, and strong insight to learn things like that about ourselves.

Good for you!!

The Senator in that video actually seems like a perfectly nice man....and if what he says is what he believes, there may be some truth to the idea that some people ACTUALLY NEED RELIGION (an internalized handler) to keep themselves in check.

I believe that children can be taught to be their own internal handlers, and that religion is just a societal remedy for those who aren't bright enough to teach their kids well, or to learn for themselves how to internalize moral behavior.

If your parents were crap, or were indoctrinating you, then that's what you believe you need. I was not taught that. We learned (and so did our kids) to value others and to have compassion, empathy, cooperation, and kindness as our guides - our consciences.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

It takes a long long long time, and strong insight to learn things like that about ourselves.

Good for you!!

The Senator in that video actually seems like a perfectly nice man....and if what he says is what he believes, there may be some truth to the idea that some people ACTUALLY NEED RELIGION (an internalized handler) to keep themselves in check.

I believe that children can be taught to be their own internal handlers, and that religion is just a societal remedy for those who aren't bright enough to teach their kids well, or to learn for themselves how to internalize moral behavior.

If your parents were crap, or were indoctrinating you, then that's what you believe you need. I was not taught that. We learned (and so did our kids) to value others and to have compassion, empathy, cooperation, and kindness as our guides - our consciences.

Most in this world are assimilated from birth to believe in a God - - doesn't matter which God.

Giving up the thought of a God isn't easy.

Without the "ever ready" internet of information, and other people's thoughts and experiences - - I'm not sure I would have.

You actually give up a lot. Family, friends, community, faith, etc. Atheism is still pretty much a loner position.

The NEED, IMO - - - is much more then just faith and God.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

After years of reading/research, vision quest, etc - - - I finally accepted I am atheist (at age 65).

Praise Bob.....

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Praise Bob.....

Had to look that up.

Actually, I talk to and praise Frank.

Who is Frank? Well, IF we are a very advanced computer generated reality existence - - - - there has to be a programmer.

Frank is my Matrix Computer Programmer. I mean, seriously, who else would I want to be in good graces with - - - - if not my "life" programmer?

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

This number is at the root of creation and affects our lives directly. Each particular number has a unique meaning that speaks to it’s significance, and forty-two is no different. Whenever we speak of the significance of numbers, we are speaking of a mystical meaning which must be explained in the physical world, yet it requires a teacher to lead us to understand its significance.

www.betemunah.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture

I met this guy personally - he's from a suburb of Kansas City, actually - at a conference at KU. He wrote this book....
which the linked review describes thusly:

In the intro, Ray talks about when the religion virus is most infectious:

Virtually all religions rely upon early childhood indoctrination as the prime infection strategy.

Other infection strategies include proselytizing, offering help and financial aid with strings attached, providing educational opportunities at religious institutions and many other approaches which we encounter frequently in the media and in daily exposure to religion.

In other chapters, he talks about religious guilt, how religion affects intelligence and personality, and how to live a virus-free life.
It’s a nice extension after you’ve read something like The God Delusion or Breaking the Spell for the first time.

It's a deadly disease. Spread willingly by parents to their offspring.

Here's my standby video by the other bloke I met at that same conference:

He wrote a book, too - Deconverted: A Journey from Religion to Reason

BOTH very very worthwhile reading. Both have websites as well: Recovering From Religion

and

The Thinking Atheist

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

It's a deadly disease. Spread willingly by parents to their offspring.

Totally agree.

That is some video. Even as a kid of 5, I said it didn't make any sense.

I understood the idea of God, but I was too logical to be indoctrinated.

I love the real life story of former missionary Daniel Everett, turned atheist.

THE HAPPIEST PEOPLE (TRIBE) ON EARTH

No God and no myths The story of Jesus Christ to Pirahã did not sound convincing enough since they did not understand such words as “century”, “time” and “history”. After Pirahã tribe had listened to the missionary Daniel Everett, the only questions they asked were “was he brown like us, or white like you”? “Did you see him? Did your father see him?” According to Pirahã , if you or at least people close to you haven’t experienced it, it is simply not relevant. Pirahã does not have any concepts of a supreme entity or God and they lost interest in Daniel’s stories as soon as they discovered that he had no empirical verification for Jesus. They require evidence on personal experience (Xibipíío). Otherwise they dismiss it as irrelevant.

To my mind, such tribes as Pirahã show that happiness lies in in small, daily activities. The more we try to complicate, the worse our lives become. It seems it’s quite easy to be happy, as long as you do not over-complicate your life… Don’t you think so? fameiva.com...

edit on 3-8-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Me, too! By Five, I knew it was suspicious....but my mom was so 'earnest' in her behavior (recently I learned it was just the pomp and circumstance and sensory experience of being in high Anglican/Episcopal churches.)

Still - because I didn't know that she was just enjoying the ritual -- and didn't ask -- those first five years made a dent. I keep having to spit and shine that one spot.
She and I have since talked for thousands of hours about "God" and what it really all is....
a fascination with the psychology and humanity and sociology of it.....

We went to that conference together, actually.

edit on 8/3/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Quoting for emphasis:

In other chapters, he talks about religious guilt,

how religion affects intelligence and personality,

and how to live a virus-free life.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

What?!! OMG.

They even stole that and made it an infection venue!! NO....or - was that where Douglas Adams got it for Hitchhiker's Guide??

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I had a mixture. Mom raised Catholic, but not practicing.

However, she was into metaphysical thinking back in the 50s.

She believed in Many Paths. That you have to experience many things, before you choose what is right for you.

So, if a neighbor wanted to take us to their church or anything - - - off we went

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

What?!! OMG.

They even stole that and made it an infection venue!! NO....or - was that where Douglas Adams got it for Hitchhiker's Guide??

I don't know. Just liked what it said.

There's also an Angel reference to #42.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Excellent parenting, that. We were allowed to explore beyond our horizons, too - and my kids were never indocrinated to begin with.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This thread had turned into portlandia

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

No,I bought him a Captain America doll.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Glad to hear it.

Surprised to see you dropped in!!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

This thread had turned into portlandia

That's what happens to threads after 8 days, nostalgia sets in, we dream first of the beginning of the thread, and then our bigger and deeper dreams, the 90s

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join