It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rachel, Durga and Margaret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I remember the day a friend borrowed me that VHS tape. He knew how much I like Pink Floyd. The Delicate Sound of Thunder instantly became part of the soundtrack in the movie of my memories played in my mind.

One thing I can't forget through all these years is the backing vocals. Those sensational 3 girls : Rachel Fury, Durga McBroom and Machan Taylor. All three amazing singers and hot.

The way they sing "The Great Gig in the Sky" was spiritual and sensual. But Machan, the last one in the song, left me without words. She's been compared with the legendary Yma Sumac but I think they are totally different.

Searching on the web, I finally could learn more about these girls and what they were doing after that experience with Pink Floyd. According to IMD, the back singer names are Durga McBroom, Rachel Fury and Margaret Taylor. A quick Bing search gave me references to Rachel and Durga, but when searched for Margaret it comes out the bio of a former first lady (Lived: Sep 21, 1788 - Aug 14, 1852) , wife of Zachary Taylor. Later I found that seems like Margaret Taylor prefer now to be known as Machan Taylor.

Believe it or not, I couldn't find a youtube video of "The Great Gig in the Sky", performed by Machan, Rachel and Durga. I found it on Dailymotion.
www.dailymotion.com...

This thread is for you Rachel, Durga and specially for you Machan, you deserve a thread on ATS.

www.machantaylor.com...
www.imdb.com...
edit on 26-7-2016 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

(portion redacted)

Edit: Clare Torry did the original tracks for Dark Side of the Moon. Good luck finding a live performance clip.

Wiki

Clare Torry
edit on 26-7-2016 by intrptr because: everything

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That's true. While I was doing this thread I actually watched on youtube the interview where she tells her experience with Pink Floyd in Abbey Road.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Amazing how she was just 'messing about'. Wanted to go to another concert she had tickets for, instead. Thought more than two takes was overdoing it...

What a voice.

top topics

join