It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mosquitoes are repelled by chicken scent..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Interesting..

Tests carried out in three villages in Ethiopia showed that families that slept beneath a chicken in a cage overnight were mosquito-free in the morning, while homes without indoor poultry were not Tests carried out in three villages in Ethiopia showed that families that slept beneath a chicken in a cage overnight were mosquito-free in the morning, while homes without indoor poultry were not

Addis Ababa (AFP) - Ethiopian scientists have discovered mosquitoes are repulsed by the smell of chicken, raising hopes for the development of a novel way to prevent a disease that kills hundreds of thousands every year. A team of insect experts led by Professor Habte Tekie at the University of Addis Ababa began their investigation after noticing that mosquitoes bite humans and other animals but stay away from chickens. "We went into the chemical basis involved in repelling malaria mosquitoes by odours emanating from the chickens... The results show that compounds from chicken have very good potential as repellent," Tekie told AFP. One theory for their behaviour is that mosquitoes see chickens as a predator, so seek to avoid them, he said. Tests carried out in three villages in western Ethiopia showed that families that slept beneath a chicken in a cage overnight were mosquito-free in the morning, while homes without indoor poultry were not.

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Very cool to know. On my next trip to the Phillipines I will have to buy a chicken as pet. Last time I was there they all bit me. I think they loved the American blood lol. Deet to them was nothing. Nice thread.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If you've ever been around a lot of chickens it is not rocket science why mosquitos might be repulsed. Chickens stink something fierce. Go visit a chicken farm. Even one of the free range organic farms. The ammonia smell of chicken poop will nearly knock you out.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I was going to ask. Have you ever smelled a chicken?

It's not that lovely roasted aroma that wafts through the house on Sunday afternoon.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have seen my chickens roosting in a tree with mosquitoes covering their feet. They were definitely bothered by them. Constantly fidgeting and shifting from one foot to another.
Perhaps Texas mosquitoes are different from the ones in Ethiopia but I'm skeptical about this.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I wonder if it's because my chickens weren't in a coop, but sitting up in a tree. They don't smell bad on their own. It's the coop full of poo that stinks.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Chickens eat bugs so it would make sense that their smell would repel bugs. Although I guess I didn't know bugs had olfactory organs? Good to know.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm surprised the people who slept under the cage of chickens weren't repulsed let alone be able to sleep!

I can see it now, OFF! will create a chicken body spray that will repel both mosquitoes and people!

edit on 26-7-2016 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

LMAO.

Just visualizing tourists rubbing chicken on them walking in New Orleans. Wait, maybe that's normal there...?

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
So the answer to this is, 'eat more chicken' and that's something I can deal with.

new topics

top topics

join