It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NYPD Will Be Dressed for War

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It's escalation.
Police used to carry single action revolvers, now they each walk around with automatic pistols and enough ammo to take out a classroom.

Soon they'll be walking around with full combat gear- plate steel armor, rifles, helmets, the works.
The war mindset will turn everyday interactions with the police into shootouts. We've already seen it with the police- they are at war, we're just trying to go about our lives.
We will see increased "shoot first ask questions later" behavior, and the public will respond accordingly.
If you start a war with the people who pay your salary, you won't win. They're walking a tight line- don't they already have special SWAT teams to deal with that sort of thing? Dressing up the entire force in military getup is only going to make them hated even more.
Makes me wonder if the orders come from up top- Let's see how this city reacts kind of thing, so we can roll it out nationwide.
A good portion of the active military might not be willing to go to war with their own country- but it's obvious many officers already have. A huge heavily armed force of police willing to fire on their neighbors, answering to their local commander- sounds super useful for implementation of martial law.

One thing to add, though-
If you're at war with a civilian population, you're no longer serving them. That douche posting on facebook about going to war with his own countryfolk- I hope he shoots somebody, and gets tried for treason- the crime of betraying ones country. I guess we all know he's above the law, though.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

If it'll mean less shooting people, I say make it standard gear, mandatory while on duty. No more excuses, use their damn non lethal gear.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

I thought the same, but Wiki provided the info. I too would have guessed more.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Why?

Seems some cops are willing to blow away cuffed individuals, unarmed individuals and all sorts of other people who were not posing a legitimate threat at the time. Why should anyone give the cops a break if they are not treated as savagely by the law as a citizen would be in the same scenario?

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the correction.... never the less, you see the overwhelming disparity in population with regard to police and military populations.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Orionx2
a reply to: ATSmediaPRO
So by not wanting to get easily killed by a semi-auto rifle carrying lunatic they are at war with the people?

Yes, because those bullets in Baton Rouge will go straight through the internet and kill them hundreds of miles away form where they were fired.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

I thought the same, but Wiki provided the info. I too would have guessed more.

I'm certain wiki is wrong.

According to the US Bureau of Justice Statistics' 2008 Census of State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies, the state had 1,913 law enforcement agencies, the most of any state. These agencies employing 59,219 sworn police officers, about 244 for each 100,000 residents.

That's in Texas alone.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I don't have a problem with police using more protective gear. Regular citizens can get helmets and vests, too.

However APC's, grenade launchers, armed drones, etc. is what I would call militarization.

Helmets still wont stop rifle rounds. But they look scary.

I think that's what they're going for. Think stormtroopers.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
unable to link
edit on 26-7-2016 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

If it'll mean less shooting people, I say make it standard gear, mandatory while on duty. No more excuses, use their damn non lethal gear.

I would agree in area's that getting shot is high risk. 99% of the USA is not those area's (Contrary to what media would have you belive).

I do think better training is needed all around though.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

In 2008, state and local law enforcement agencies employed more than 1.1 million persons on a full-time basis, including about 765,000 sworn personnel (defined as those with general arrest powers). Agencies also employed approximately 100,000 part-time employees, including 44,000 sworn officers.

Yep, I thought the same thing.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Seeing as grabbing the id they ask for is enough for them to snap and shoot you, I say let them go full gusto with protection everywhere. Anything to make these jumpy cowards feel safe enough to not shoot at every shadow.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Seeing as grabbing the id they ask for is enough for them to snap and shoot you, I say let them go full gusto with protection everywhere. Anything to make these jumpy cowards feel safe enough to not shoot at every shadow.

That isn't how the human mind works.
If they start walking around like they're in combat, they'll create a combat mindset. They'll start checking corners with guns drawn, and open firing on anyone who scares them.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Greetings-

I've been retired 12 years now from 'TheJob' but the "upgrades" to military vehicles has been going on since the late 90s in Ca. Right after the LAPD/Bank Robbery shootout where the Actors had auto long guns and ballistic vests. These guys cut the responding officers to shreds and police departments all over Ca. got 'upgrades'. Our PD went from carrying whatever handgun to department issued SigSauer .40s so if the SHTF You could swap magazines if You went dry. (shot too much) This also included being able to carry semi-auto long guns .223 and MP-5s w/the 3-button switch. Full Auto-3 shot burst-semiauto. Each Officer was issued a helmet w/shield.

Proud Member of LEAP-Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

How in the HELL can you "spin" those words?
He comes right out and says, "We are at war with those we serve. Lock and Load". The person who replies seems to be all too happy for that war to start.
This is the mind set that gets people killed, because some cop out there is just itching for someone to make the slightest wrong move.
He also says "You can't stand in my shoes, because you were not man enough to lace up these boots to begin with".
So, if you're not a cop, you're nothing. You're looked down upon as a coward for not joining their little group.
Great attitude for someone who holds your Freedom and possibly your very life in their hands.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Why?

Seems some cops are willing to blow away cuffed individuals, unarmed individuals and all sorts of other people who were not posing a legitimate threat at the time. Why should anyone give the cops a break if they are not treated as savagely by the law as a citizen would be in the same scenario?

"Seems" is the key word. Most of those instances have proven justified. Very few are questionable. 320miilion people and only 1O00 people a year get killed by police, and the majority of those are legitimate.
So why "military" gear (even though average citizens can get the same gear, bullet resistant vests and helmets are hardly "military") because certain groups call for the killing of police and the media hypes it out of control and some start killing police. I would rather have the gear and not need it than to need it and die because I don't have it.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

How in the HELL can you "spin" those words?
He comes right out and says, "We are at war with those we serve. Lock and Load". The person who replies seems to be all too happy for that war to start.
This is the mind set that gets people killed, because some cop out there is just itching for someone to make the slightest wrong move.
He also says "You can't stand in my shoes, because you were not man enough to lace up these boots to begin with".
So, if you're not a cop, you're nothing. You're looked down upon as a coward for not joining their little group.
Great attitude for someone who holds your Freedom and possibly your very life in their hands.

You just spun my words the sameway.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Orionx2

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Why?

320miilion people and only 1O00 people a year get killed by police, and the majority of those are legitimate.

In my opinion that's 1,000 people too many. Besides, as we all know, the government does not track police killings. We have to rely on citizens to compile the figures

Despite public protests, occupations, direct action, and increased public scrutiny, U.S. police killed more people in 2015 than in 2014. While numbers vary from source to source — the Washington Post cites 975, while the Guardian puts the tally at 1,125 — the website killedbypolice.net found that police have killed 1,186 people in 2015 (the U.S. government currently does not track how many people are killed in police encounters.)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Show me where I quoted anything you said and put spin on it.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
*edit* Helmets still wont stop rifle rounds. But they look scary.

Yes they do. Not ALWAYS, but they can and do. I'm speaking from personal experience.

That said here is some direct evidence.
edit on 26-7-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join