It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Indonesia Confirms 50,000 More Deaths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The death toll from the Tsunami now tops 225,000. Indonesian officials upped the toll after confirming the deaths of many of the missing. UN officials worry that many of the survivors could suffer from starvation if much needed food aid is not received and distributed soon.

www.msnbc.msn.com
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia's Health Ministry raised the country's death toll from the Dec. 26 tsunami to 166,320 on Wednesday, pushing the total number of people killed in the disaster above 225,000.

A Health Ministry statement said the new figure was based on latest reports from the provinces of Aceh and North Sumatra, which were directly in the path of the killer tsunami spawned by a magnitude-9 earthquake the day after Christmas.

The new death toll — a jump of more than 50,000 on the ministry's last figure — includes many people who were previously listed as missing, a senior ministry official told Reuters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The death toll is most likely to rise even further once the missing from the other countries effected by the Tsunami report their missing as dead.

I think the number that may go uncounted is those who survived the tsunami only to die later from disease and starvation.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have this thought that over the next few months the tallying numbers before a turnaround is made where things are heading more positive, i.e. disease is controlled, starvation is no longer a factor, clean up is near a high % in recovering more persons, that the death toll will rise to a min. 800,000 to 1 mil. Its only been 3 weeks and they are only in the forefront of it, going further inland, not to mention once investigators go around to people asking how many they may have buried or however, when they start getting more clear numbers. Its going to take a few months, but the numbers are going to rise significantly here soon, this is only the beginning.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
i would say things are on the upswing already. with all the countries efforts that are involved in this disaster recovery, i dont think the death toll is going to go passed 300,000.

join