It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perils of Hypocrisy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
In my experience, hypocrisy bothers just about everyone. It certainly seemed to bother Jesus.

Matthew 7:5

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Matthew 23:13-15

What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either.

What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are!

Matthew 23:23-30

What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things. Blind guides! You strain your water so you won’t accidentally swallow a gnat, but you swallow a camel!

What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are filthy—full of greed and self-indulgence! You blind Pharisee! First wash the inside of the cup and the dish, and then the outside will become clean, too.

What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs—beautiful on the outside but filled on the inside with dead people’s bones and all sorts of impurity. Outwardly you look like righteous people, but inwardly your hearts are filled with hypocrisy and lawlessness.

What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you build tombs for the prophets your ancestors killed, and you decorate the monuments of the godly people your ancestors destroyed. Then you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would never have joined them in killing the prophets.’

I was recently dressed down for my potential "immorality" by a friend. I don't mind that at all except for the fact that this person is such a liar that I consider them to be amoral.

They were castigating me not for anything that I had done but for what I may do. Meanwhile, this person had cheated me quite badly by lying to me about a huge matter. They had lied about smaller things too. So, I cut ties with them.

I can forgive lying, cheating, and stealing committed against me. However, I can't forgive hypocrisy easily.

What's your opinion of hypocrisy?
edit on 25-7-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion I quit smoking tobacco and snapped at a young fellow for smoking in a no smoking area... so then I realized we worked together and I started smoking again and we laughed about me being hypocritical and I became friend with him and his girlfriend.
Being a hypocrite is funny.
Like being a teetotaler in public going home and drinking... or looking at pretty ladies and snubbing my nose at a guy I'm with for looking at them...silly really.
Not sure if I got the expression, snubbing right.
Hope you and your friend work things through.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Well,in my opinion, the problem lies with that humans are nothing more than talking monkeys..
The kingdom of heaven is for scholars not for men who learned how to talk and dress themselves..
The hypocrisy in my opinion comes from the duality.. The mask you put on your face as a scholar to lead the sheep..

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

What's your opinion of hypocrisy?

I put hypocrisy right up there with racism and homophobia as easy accusations to make even when it's nowhere near the truth. These types of accusations are difficult to deal with because you need to dissect them to show why they do not apply. People who make them are not easily dissuaded of their folly. Ultimately it may be necessary to do the same thing you did (which I agree with, btw) and simply sever ties. Lessening the negativity you have to deal with is probably one of the best things you can do.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: Profusion I quit smoking tobacco and snapped at a young fellow for smoking in a no smoking area... so then I realized we worked together and I started smoking again and we laughed about me being hypocritical and I became friend with him and his girlfriend.
Being a hypocrite is funny.
Like being a teetotaler in public going home and drinking... or looking at pretty ladies and snubbing my nose at a guy I'm with for looking at them...silly really.
Not sure if I got the expression, snubbing right.
Hope you and your friend work things through.

Hypocrisy can be funny when it's not about serious stuff. When it's about life and death kind of matters, it's not funny anymore. Don't you think?

I like your stories. I don't know how you connect things together the way you do, but it's a lot of fun to read.

a reply to: tikbalang

I suppose those of us who have experienced heaven on Earth don't exist to you?

originally posted by: schuyler
Ultimately it may be necessary to do the same thing you did (which I agree with, btw) and simply sever ties. Lessening the negativity you have to deal with is probably one of the best things you can do.

I couldn't have gone on being friends with that person knowing what a huge hypocrite they are. It would have done my psyche serious damage in the long run.

Thank you for your support. I appreciate it immensely.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion thanks..never dealt with hypocrisy in a life or death situation and do not find the seriousness in such a condition funny at all... like two surgeons arguing... they have to get it worked out and stop fighting... return to the books and come to a conclusion in agreement...before planning on what to do exactly.
Best wishes.😊

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I know exactly what you mean Profusion..
This person i'd known only 20 days, such a short an amount of time. I think really they were only trying to pursue their own desires rather than anything else. I grew to distrust them for their lies and hypocrisies and seriously hurting me deeply with their outrage and anger as well which was scary to some degree.

They acted out as though they were a friend but seriously, trying to understand someone that is borderline narcissist is incredibly hard particularily when it's not in real life. I suggest to anyone, never to tell your real life story especially online,which is why i never do.

I hope you make amends with your 'friend. I didn't know you were a believer but for the record, jesus also said to forgive your enemies. So if you're an Xian i'd go with that, it's healing.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Hypocrisy is preaching against but secretly participating in something.

I find hypocrisy most prevalent in religion. Such as preaching that paganism is evil and participating in Christmas and Easter.

Both are Pagan holidays sold as Christian but having absolutely nothing to do with Christ.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Im more stating in my opinion;;" you cant change the nature of things if you dont understand its purpose "
believing in something of a higher cause is a fantastic ideal, forcing it into reality and hope it doesnt shatter is having to high of a hope on a human fragile mind..

Heaven on earth, well, id be lying if it hasnt brought some wonderful things.. But looking at it now... There are a few men and woman who can build a heaven on earth in each generation, even if its a philosophy or an item.. Those few are actually humans.. The rest are just here...

But creating lies and force a heaven on earth, no.. Lies just brings more lies, and then more lies..

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: deignostian

Hypocrisy is preaching against but secretly participating in something.

I find hypocrisy most prevalent in religion. Such as preaching that paganism is evil and participating in Christmas and Easter.

Both are Pagan holidays sold as Christian but having absolutely nothing to do with Christ.

Anything hidden is considered hypocrisy, most things hidden is done in the name of humanity.. It really is not.. Transparency brings out the most humane aspects of anyone.. When someone is left naked alone they usually ask for mercy..

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

For what it's worth I've been there plenty of times. I still tell everyone everything, tho.

And I just want to say that telling a story or sharing your life experiences with other people are never invitations to be trolled/abused. Ever. But, some people will try. But did that stop Joanne Rowling? I don't think so! Or what about Stephen King for that matter? Vonnegut, Palanhuick, Asimov and Anne Rice?

&I'm still here, too, btw. I just keep on telling people things.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

For what it's worth I've been there plenty of times. I still tell everyone everything, tho.

And I just want to say that telling a story or sharing your life experiences with other people are never invitations to be trolled/abused. Ever. But, some people will try. But did that stop Joanne Rowling? I don't think so! Or what about Stephen King for that matter? Vonnegut, Palanhuick, Asimov and Anne Rice?

&I'm still here, too, btw. I just keep on telling people things.

Thankyou so much for that. I agree trolling and abuse of anyone should Never be condoned for any reason. I think though that once it happens to someone, the abuse and the lies and complete heartbreak, your heart kind of shuts down and the Trust never truly comes back, for some. Joanne Rowling had it tough, but she freed her mind and her being from it. Such a strong Woman, as are the rest you listed here.

edit on 7/25/2016 by awareness10 because: mistype

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I agree with everything you just said.

I think what helps me are the connections made with others (you know like that deep friend connection feeling). They make up for all the trolly people who are mean and abusive. And I feel like you can't form those connections if you close up entirely. So you have to risk getting hurt whenever you open yourself up and just know beforehand that yeah, some people might turn into D's on the way but you also gotta know that you'll live through it, no matter how embarrassing and etc it might turn out to be, and you also gotta know that you'll find others who won't be D's and they will make up for all the bad experiences because feeling connected is maybe the best feeling in the world. And even if it lasts for only a moment, it's worth it. To me anyway.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I think what helps me are the connections made with others (you know like that deep friend connection feeling). They make up for all the trolly people who are mean and abusive. And I feel like you can't form those connections if you close up entirely. So you have to risk getting hurt whenever you open yourself up and just know beforehand that yeah, some people might turn into D's on the way but you also gotta know that you'll live through it, no matter how embarrassing and etc it might turn out to be, and you also gotta know that you'll find others who won't be D's and they will make up for all the bad experiences because feeling connected is maybe the best feeling in the world. And even if it lasts for only a moment, it's worth it. To me anyway.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: deignostian

OMG I am a huge fan of you already and I think you're basically a genius, not kidding. So that just made my night ily!

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Yes you're right. I feel at times people like myself who are good People and just want to enjoy my online time often attract all the D's sadly, like inviting Vampirism in through invisible energies. Connecting with people is fine if i've known them for a year and really trust them enough to be open about myself and i don't feel they're only in it to manipulate me emotionally. Otherwise not at all, and for good reasons as you can see. Those are my boundaries though, not everyone is the same but im sure some are, and that's great if you are. Taking the good and leaving the bad behind, good philosophy to live by.
ETA: Yes having a good friend aka rl really makes up for it in the end.

Thanks again!
edit on 7/25/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Just returning the favor.😁

You made my day yesterday and what you said deserved more thumbs up but I didn't want to be eccentric .

Thanks for saying that. You are very wise yourself and not just because you complicated me.
edit on 25-7-2016 by deignostian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I think it's one of those peculiar rules with a deeper meaning; it has a basis that we aren't grasping. I mean, on the surface, we can all sense that hypocrisy is unjust (to be judged by someone who is unjust is an injustice), but sensing that it is unjust doesn't exactly spell out why it is unjust.

Let me give some examples:

Should we teach the golden rule or any principles of good and evil, etc. if we know we have, and will again, break those rules? Should parents discipline their children for drinking alcohol, or being envious, etc., if the parent themselves are alcoholics or envious?

What if you know you are a hypocrite, or with the same sin, but you want the person to be better than you? Isn't that what parenting amounts to? (Wanting your children to do well, even better than yourself?) Does hypocrisy apply to parenting?

What if you criticize someone for criticizing you? If we take the lesson on face value, isn't the logical conclusion the end of doctrine? Wouldn't instruction on hypocrisy be hypocritical - perhaps even paradoxical?

More, I think what we sense when we are being chastised lends credence to the doctrine that vengeance belongs to the Lord - that only the just should judge, as per the truth of the Spirit (those emotions we sense about the will or spirit of another when we are judged hypocritically).

But still, what is the deeper meaning? Is it a lie to be hypocritical or is it an imbalance in something deeper? Is it simply a fundamental truth of the Spirit? Is it the essence of what is Holy? To love is to be just? Why is hypocrisy unjust? Why is it unjust to not practice what you preach? Is there an imbalance that we cannot grasp?

Does hypocrisy even apply to advising, or instructing, each other, or only to chastising one another? Where is the line drawn?

I think it must only apply to chastisement but maybe it applies to instructing or advising, as well?

Maybe the imbalance that I sense is that judgement (chastisement or punishment) does not belong to us? Maybe that is the deeper meaning? That truth of the Spirit is that judgement only belongs to the just? Maybe just is a concept and concepts must be the life or conception of someone who is themselves just? Just is Jesus - Jesus is Truth?

TL;DR: Is being hypocritical the same as being a liar or is hypocrisy an imbalance in something? Why is hypocrisy unjust?

edit on 7/26/2016 by Bleeeeep because: as usual, I rephrased stuff

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
What's this all about now?

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Have very little tolerance for it.

a reply to: tikbalang

The hypocrisy in my opinion comes from the duality.. The mask you put on your face as a scholar to lead the sheep..

The blind leading the blind. Lack of awareness (duality small mindedness) is to blame for much. It is hard to do insane things when you know how it propagates thru space time.
edit on 26-7-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join