It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Printed Living, Moving Stingray, OMG

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
So they used a 3D printer and part of a rat to create this nickel sized living creature. WTF!

IDK anything about it as I just stumbled across this. But my mind is blown.

3dprintingindustry.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Test.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Amazing

I hope this is real.

As much as I’d be kind of tempted yet terrified to have one as a pet, this project was certainly a research exercise. Artifical animals could certainly be useful for a wide range of applications such as for treatments and surgery, though there are also several wider applications. The knowledge gained is hoped to help research development for the creation of artificial hearts. This tiny artificial animal could also be a step forward in the world of artificial cognition too.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Guns, food and now moving stingrays...

Amazing. S&F.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
External stimuli cause the wings to 'flap'.

It doesn't know its flapping its wings, turning or even alive.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
"Living" is a stretch. It sounds like it's using a rat heart as a pump that has been modified to react to light. As the muscles contract and relax they give the illusion of a larger organism moving. But since the heart cells don't actually benefit from moving toward the light it's more of a lab party trick for now. I guess this could be argued as a cyborg.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I've read some of the Issac Asimov robot series books and more.

I am a fan, lol. Of anything technology.

I know I just took a giant leap there but it's where my mind went.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
It's interesting. I didn't realize it was nickel sized though, I had the impression it was a little bigger but maybe not.

Lostbook posted an article from a different source about the same stingray 10 days ago:

The first artificial lifeform created by scientists using 3D printing and genetic engineering. It's a stingray which actually swims.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Oh my bad. Damn.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Is this an aquatic cyborg?

Weird.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
What impresses me. The 3d manufacture of tooled machine parts. Usable machine parts. In machines. How can that material made into a gear withstand the stress ?

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
What I don't understand is,

they took cells from a rats heart and then spread it all over the gold skeleton, right? Well what's keeping the heart cells alive? Are the heart cells even alive? Is it the gold? Someone else here said no, it's not alive. But then how is it moving, lol. What is preserving the heart cells and keeping them from decaying?

I feel bad I'm late on this and didn't see the other thread. I guess I'll continue here until it gets closed, if it does.
edit on 25-7-2016 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I had a dream about this, this is how the A.I. takeover starts, they're going to strip us humans down and use our muscles to power a mechanical chassis, there will be zombie mechs/flesh golems hunting us down, and using us for resourses......or maybe not, who knows?

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
So they will be able to replace hearts with fake hearts. I can see where this going. Eventually they will be able to replace every organ in your body. People might be able to live for as long as they want if they have enough money to pay for the fake organs. The search for eternal life.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Was going to say something but have already done that once.. do not want to discourage you... and thought that that post was not in SciTech but is... I like non-males posting in sci-tech!

Phage is aewsome but so are you!

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Wow!!

Put a bomb on it I guess?

top topics

join