It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study on the Reception and Detection of B.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Here we are with the national political season getting into full swing. Both major parties have selected their standard bearers and the rhetoric to both persuade and dissuade the American voting public has begun in earnest. Of course, along with the speeches from each camp, filled with facts and figures about how they are really the only choice if the country is to survive the next four years, we can also look forward to healthy dose of BS from all sides.

Recently I was catching up on some academic reading and came across a study concerning a topic which I think is very appropriate during this time. It was published in November 2015 and in a section of works called "Judgment and Decision Making, Vol. 10, No. 6. It can be found at:

[url=]http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.html

And is entitled "On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bull#".

Yes, they have actually made a study of how various test subjects respond to varying degrees of both factual information and bull#.

I will admit it is a fairly long read but is actually interesting in its finding of each study group. I am, however quite sure those who really need to read and lean from such a study are the very ones who either do not have access to it or will not make the effort to find out why they have always been so easily manipulated by politicians and others who they think they should trust.

Because of this, I have included an excerpt from both the abstract and the conclusion in hopes it will stir the curiosity of some of these people.

"" We presented participants with bull# statements consisting of buzzwords randomly organized into statements with syntactic structure but no discernible meaning."… "These results support the idea that some people are more receptive to this type of bull# and that detecting it is not merely a matter of indiscriminate skepticism but rather a discernment of deceptive vagueness in otherwise impressive sounding claims.""

"" Using vagueness or ambiguity to mask a lack of meaningfulness is surely common in political rhetoric, marketing, and even academia. Indeed, as intimated by, bull#ting is something that we likely all engage in to some degree. One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bull#."…"The construction of a reliable index of bull# receptivity is an important first step toward gaining a better understanding of the underlying cognitive and social mechanisms that determine if and when bull# is detected.""

I must say that even a “born skeptic” such as myself has learned a thing or two from this report.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If propaganda is about anything it is repetition. The more you say something the more people believe it.

We have been memed to death. Whats amusing is even today some still don't get it. They refuse, like trying to convince churchians they worship a false god...

Early Ad for terrorism...

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

For this election, the repetition is:

Trump is a racist
Trump is a sexist
Trump is evil
Trump is orange
Trump has small hands

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The easiest BS to detect is the way the MSM will divert away from the Clinton/DNC proven lies and corruption.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The easiest BS to detect is the way the MSM will divert away from the Clinton/DNC proven lies and corruption.

This study actually goes a little deeper than that.

One thing I have wondered though ...

If I graduate from Trump University, could I be awarded a B. S. in B.S. ??

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind

You know what BS, MS and PHD stand for...

Bull S***, More S***, Pile it Higher and Deeper.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: tinymind

You know what BS, MS and PHD stand for...

Bull S***, More S***, Pile it Higher and Deeper.

In this case should we then start calling "the Donald" by the rightful title of
Dr. Trump ?

It would appear he, as well as many others I could name, has surely attained a level of excellence making them worthy of this recognition .

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

He's a business man not a scholar. Trump actually produces products.

Unlike Hillarys "charitable foundation". She just produces war.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

In my own personal estimate, neither of these fit into any classification of scholar.

But fit quite well with those which I mentioned as worthy of attaining a PHD in B. S.

The study, which I cited, gives a good deal of insight toward how these people are able to manipulate their followers with the various "buzzwords" and tactics .

top topics

join