It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cockroach milk could be the superfood of the future

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
Gin

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Scientists think cockroach milk could be the superfood of the future

An international team of scientists has just sequenced a protein crystal located in the midgut of cockroaches. The reason?

It’s more than four times as nutritious as cow’s milk and, the researchers think it could be the key to feeding our growing population in the future.

Although most cockroaches don’t actually produce milk, Diploptera punctate, which is the only known cockroach to give birth to live young, has been shown to pump out a type of ‘milk’ containing protein crystals to feed its babies.

The fact that an insect produces milk is pretty fascinating – but what fascinated researchers is the fact that a single one of these protein crystals contains more than three times the amount of energy found in an equivalent amount of buffalo milk (which is also higher in calories then dairy milk).

Clearly milking a cockroach isn’t the most feasible option, so an international team of scientists headed by researchers from the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine in India decided to sequence the genes responsible for producing the milk protein crystals to see if they could somehow replicate them in the lab.

Who is ready for some lab produced cockroach milk? Sounds yummy. Maybe they could process the cockroaches into food bars too like in Snowpiercer movie.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Gin

Gross... No Thankyou. Cockroach cookies in New York City are one thing, but i've been hearing way too much of 'in the future when the food supply is too low to to feed the people' SOYLENT GREEN.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gin
Who is ready for some lab produced cockroach milk? Sounds yummy. Maybe they could process the cockroaches into food bars too like in Snowpiercer movie.

You have probably eaten a bunch of the little bastards anyway. The FDA has acceptable allowances on how many cockroach parts can be in a can of tuna so there is that.

I want to see the new 'Got Milk?' ads, you can just put a row of them on some pop stars upper lip.

Gin

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
You have probably eaten a bunch of the little bastards anyway. The FDA has acceptable allowances on how many cockroach parts can be in a can of tuna so there is that.

Awesome! That's like a bonus as insects are high in protein, so that's a good addition with tuna.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Awesome! That's like a bonus as insects are high in protein, so that's a good addition with tuna.

Exactly.

My wife always asks, 'Hey, did you put Rice Krispies in the tuna salad?'

'Yes, amore mio, yes I did.'

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Sounds promising.

It's just a protein. If you disassociate it from the bug it's in it isn't gross. Just a crystal.

I wonder if it could hold other benefits as cockroaches are impervious to everything but magic and ninjas.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Might be a good employ for some lazy gits on food stamps...milking the little suckers.

Gin

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Mmm... cockroach cookies. Those as a dessert after taking a bite of mosquito burgers.

You know, most delicious kind of foods usually look gross, it's the taste that matters.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I wnated to try by myself and milk one, caught a cockrach, but the problem is to get a bucket under that damned roach...
edit on 25 7 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I want to see the new 'Got Milk?' ads, you can just put a row of them on some pop stars upper lip.

As August Masonicus stated there is a certain amount of insect parts allowed in our food(s) to begin with so we're already consuming them in a way. There's rat DNA in the mix also so I wonder if eventually, there will be an allowance for rat burgers and such....?
edit on 25-7-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Yeah, look at lobsters and crabs...
Yum yum!

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer
Yeah, look at lobsters and crabs...
Yum yum!

The interesting thing about lobster is that it was considered a poor person's food and not worthy of anything other than being a canned staple well into the 20th century.

Roaches, the new lobster.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Because we are a conspiracy site...

...and this is how we morphed into the Grays. It starts with lab created Roach milk and ends who knows where?

btw the whole premise is just a bundle of EPIC WRONG!!!
Ewwwwwww

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

i'd rather shave my head and live amongst the monks. I don't believe they eat much either, just a small bowl of rice and veggies daily.

If it crawls around in the dirt and happens to be an insect, i wont eat it. If i can't see it, even better.

I saw a documentary on tv years ago about this old woman in china, these guys came into her hut, and she literally showed them how to eat a live Tarantula, she grabbed a big leaf, wrapped it around the thing, then squeezed its guts out 'alive' while .. ugh i can't even go there it was beyond disturbing.

And then you have the certain chinese out lets where you can grab a basked of live crunchy food to go! I also saw that on the Doc. and it too disturbed me beyond words.
edit on 7/25/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

As August Masonicus stated there is a certain amount of insect parts allowed in our food(s) to begin with so we're already consuming them in a way. There's rat DNA in the mix also so I wonder if eventually, there will be an allowance for rat burgers and such....?

A friend of mine in Australia works in this coffee factory, he told me he'd never drink it again after what he's seen going into the Coffee then sold to the Public.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
A friend of mine in Australia works in this coffee factory, he told me he'd never drink it again after what he's seen going into the Coffee then sold to the Public.

I think if you saw how most food is produced you would switch to a diet of bottled air and sunshine.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

At this point, i may just do that.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
Might be a good employ for some lazy gits on food stamps...milking the little suckers.

LOL!!

"Hey honey, grab me another, I'm done with this one"

But how much will it cost?

Gonna have to have some serious promotion for that product. lol.

edit on 7 25 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

originally posted by: lostbook

If I remember this correctly, the coffee plant is known to eat/absorb whatever dead plant or animal it comes into contact with. But hey, it's a system and we're a part of it.....Not to go off topic but we eat food grown with cow and human poop also.
edit on 25-7-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I was in the business. If you eat, you eat bug parts and rodent crap.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join