It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark matter detector detects nothing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
And how much tax dollars are really being used?

$70million of it came from a private donor.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

how much did it cost to build that detector?

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
The even bigger and better sucessor, 70 times as sensitive, has already been approved.
i predict, its gonna fail

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BlubberyConspiracy

How ya suppose you turn 2 megalith structures to powdered dust before the top hits the ground?
Not thermite or thermate

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

So the two experiments to watch for the next couple of years are Xenon 1T and DEAP-3600

Both are 1 T fiducial mass, Xenon uses Liquid Xenon and is a TPC, and DEAP-3600 uses Liquid Argon and is a Homogenous detector... Both are more sensitive than Lux (when they get running). I work on DEAP-3600, and can tell you that in 1 day of data taking we are 2 times more sensitive than the current largest Liquid argon experiment
(DarkSide 50)

As for cost... over the 6 years Iv worked on DEAP its been about $25 million, which includes starting from absolutely nothing, Research and Development costs, Construction and salaries. The most expensive ticket item of cost was the detector vessel which is made out of ultra high purity Acrylic.

Yep so it will be an interesting few years, expect Xenon and DEAP to start gaining on Lux within about 6 months of operation. My wife was at the conference were Lux announced the complete dataset. Its a bit of a shame because we at DEAP was hoping to bang out a worlds best limit with 1 month of data haha... now its more like... 6-8 months.

Will Xenon or DEAP see anything? Unknown, but it will be interesting none the less, these things are about searching for the unknowns. Id rather do the experiments than be like Nochzwei who doesn't understand thermal expansion, or basic Algebra but seems to claim to understand the underlying mechanisms of the universe...

edit on 26-7-2016 by ErosA433 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2016 by ErosA433 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErosA433

Will Xenon or DEAP see anything? Unknown, but it will be interesting none the less, these things are about searching for the unknowns. Id rather do the experiments than be like Nochzwei who doesn't understand thermal expansion, or basic Algebra but seems to claim to understand the underlying mechanisms of the universe...
so you know more about me than myself eh.
try hard as you will you aint gonna detect dark matter in a million years unless you are able to dilate time of your detector vessesl

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

Might not get dark matter at all, regardless of time dilation and anyway there are limits to what these detectors can do, limits to their ultimate sensitivity before we have to think up some way of getting directionality to the measurement.

any guesses of what might be?

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Dark Matter and/or Dark Energy is the polite term for the "fudge factor" between observations and theory....

Nothing more.

It literally could be "anything" or a combination of "anythings".

I'll be waiting to hear the results of the new detectors tests - But honestly, I don't hold out hope they'll find anything.

Charge carrying plasmas in dark mode? - Maybe?

Something to do with time? - Maybe?

Specially spinning WIMPS? - Sure! Why not?

Tired light slowed by distance/obstructions? - Maybe?

The biggest question becomes, how many billions get spent on an experiment that gives negative results? When do you draw the line and say "OK, that's not it" and test for something else?

Or at least say, "You're idea is stupid to me, but let's not sluff it off and design an experiment that can properly test for it and prove it's right/wrong with as much rigor as something I believe it could be".

This will probably piss some people off, but whatever...

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

Answer to how far we go, is within my last post, just waiting for the guesses
and its not billions, its millions. Just tax the church in the US and you scrape off a few million from the 50 something billion you make... done

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Might not get dark matter at all, regardless of time dilation and anyway there are limits to what these detectors can do, limits to their ultimate sensitivity before we have to think up some way of getting directionality to the measurement.

any guesses of what might be?
i'll do all that for ya'll. just get your bosses to hire me. my current salary is usd 10000/- pm

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

And that sir would be a massive waste of money, we already have people who have that title.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

And that sir would be a massive waste of money, we already have people who have that title.
Lol what title. surely you dont have merchant navy chief engineers working for you

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Dark matter detector detects nothing

No, but I may have found a natural device which did detect it. Trust Nature to do the work.

I am very excited by the news, I will be posting a thread about it tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

No, but what it does mean that proving the theory will not be achieved by expecting regular matter and dark matter to interact with one another in the form of an impact. That, as far as it has been explained to me, is a physical impossibility.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

No, we have People with a PEng to their name... who know how thermal expansion works. Not sure what merchant navy chief engineers would help us with, if you are one...

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

No, we have People with a PEng to their name... who know how thermal expansion works. Not sure what merchant navy chief engineers would help us with, if you are one...

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Yes I am one and I have Bachelor of Engg to my name and i can detect dark matter for you, which you all will not be able to do in a million years
so your point about thermal expansion is utterly stale and moot.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Sure sure, go for it, if you can... no one is stopping you.

Being a Merchant Navy Chief Engineer is basically just to have your Bachelors and join a commercial sea fairing ship... not to say thats not hard work, but, it is basically just taking care of a vessels mechanical services as the lead... I don't want to burst that bubble, but it isn't quite the same as being a PEng, which requires way way way more practical experience of design tasks and construction than a Bachelors.

Still, as I say, go ahead, do it, present the evidence... or alternatively stop just trolling all the threads with nonsense

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Sure sure, go for it, if you can... no one is stopping you.

Being a Merchant Navy Chief Engineer is basically just to have your Bachelors and join a commercial sea fairing ship... not to say thats not hard work, but, it is basically just taking care of a vessels mechanical services as the lead... I don't want to burst that bubble, but it isn't quite the same as being a PEng, which requires way way way more practical experience of design tasks and construction than a Bachelors.

Still, as I say, go ahead, do it, present the evidence... or alternatively stop just trolling all the threads with nonsense
no trolling and no nonsense mate as what you are actually doing.
i will even go out on a limb and say that no one in this world is gonna detect dark matter without my intervention. and yes i have already detected it and it consists of electrons in the time domain.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Yeah iv detected unicorns on Mars also they are horses in the bull domain

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join