It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commercial programming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Am I alone in getting the feeling that commercials want you to repeat what they are saying?
Like right now, I'm drinking a beverage and my mind starts repeating what the commercial said from the beverage company.
Like, as if I need to say it the same, worse or even better than the original voice or actor or actress.
Some of the best products are not commercialized and do not make me feel like I am in an audition...
they are simply word of mouth products.
Detain labels and brand names make me feel normal and not stuck in some soot of ...
Hollywood twilight zone.
I'm going back to basic, bare root mentality, now to end this madness.
And will avoid radio or television programming as much as I am capable...try to find bit of nature away from telephone lines, smart meters and car noises.
I do like reading ingredients on packages of food products, still because not every brand makes me want to repeat their commercial.
Thanks for reading.
So what are your favorite commercials?
And witch ones do you dislike?
Have a great Monday!

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
Am I alone in getting the feeling that commercials want you to repeat what they are saying?

That is kind of the entire premise of advertising. To get you to remember to purchase the product.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Does it make you want to do this?

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus it would be nice to get a return from Snapple at the recycling center...I buy it cuz I ran out of money not cuz I thought of it being the best stuff on earth... and all I had was a gold dollar coin the tax was paid by the penny jar at the store.
I'm still not watching any more advertisements....i'll just see what I want to purchase naturally.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
...I buy it cuz I ran out of money...

Buying stuff with no money is a neat trick.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I never understood what it was about advertising that was so hard to get away from. People act like it's a form of mind control. I have never felt a strong compulsion from any ad to run out buy something. And if I do see something that looks intriguing I always poke around first to see if I really want it or if it was just an impulse.

Otherwise, I am into buying things I need and doing a fair bit of research before I invest, especially as the product in question gets more expensive.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus my friend agrees.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I don't watch television and I work hard to avoid being subjected to advertisements. I have been on ATS long enough to not need an ad blocker because I just don't get ads even with it turned off. I do not find myself drawn to specific products, even more so find myself wanting to make everything I use in daily life from scratch.

However, several years back, around the time that the Occupy movement was just getting underway, I was driving down the street and say a sign that said, "Future home of Chase Bank." I felt my heart leap for joy and it caught me off guard. Why would I care about a chase bank being built? I use a credit union and I am anti-big banks, besides J.P. Morgan was scum.

The fact that advertising has so much phycological research behind it really hit home that day.

Like right now, I'm drinking a beverage and my mind starts repeating what the commercial said from the beverage company.
Like, as if I need to say it the same, worse or even better than the original voice or actor or actress.

That is the result of millions of dollars in research on how to create advertising to obtain a desired psychological response from consumers. You react that way because they want you to, you just happen to be a more aware of it than the majority of people.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sometimes I wonder if it works too, but obviously must be really effective, otherwise the companies would not spend all that money on it, advertising it's really expensive after all.

Let's see how it works, would you buy a skoda car if you did not knew it existed? I doubt it, but if skoda put some adds in tv at least you will know the brand exist, it will not make you go buy a skoda, but when you need a car, perhaps you remember this brand exist and will check it out.

You need a specialized detergent for cleaning some obscure thing, you go to the supermarket and are 2k brands, you gonna pick any random one? Most likely you will remember an add and pick that brand. The add won't make you go buy something you don't need (unless is an iPhone or something) the add will only make you consider a brand when you buy something you need.

This post was brought to you by skoda

edit on 24-7-2016 by Indigent because: Remove double ds from ad at will, I got a problem with double ds that's all,

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket.
...George Orwell

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Sales pitches have evolved for thousands of years, there's no doubt they know what works.

Febreeze is so good these blindfolded people have no idea they are sitting next to a bunch of rotting corpses in a serial killer's basement.

Watch what happens when they take off the blindfold, they get murdered so the killer can wear their skin.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I know it works. My kiddo will see a commercial and turn around and tell me he wants one not 5 seconds after seeing it, but he's a little kid, too. I usually stop and take the time to explain to him that commercials are made to make it look great and make him want it, not actually show him what it is.

I remember learning about advertising in school as part of learning about fact and opinion. Ever since then, ads lost their power to be as good as they used to be. They still let me know what new things are coming out, but they don't make me feel a compulsion.

But then, I don't necessarily feel strong peer pressure, either.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I dint knew what mountaindew was before puppymonkeybaby, I let my son watch the commercial a few times, it was catchy, one day I was in a convenient store and saw a bottle of something it could be radioactive by the color, puppymonkeybaby! I though and bought a bottle for my son thinking I was the best father in the world bringing puppymonkeybaby to my 5y/o instead of some apple juice or some other healty crap.

I'm feeble minded and the commercial controlled me
, the kid took a sip of it and a few weeks latter I had to trow away the complete bottle, well played mountaindew you took my 2 bucks

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

That's my point, they are not made to force you consume, they are for brand/product awareness

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

That's my point, they are not made to force you consume, they are for brand/product awareness

That I agree with, but the way some people go on, ads are tantamount to mind control. People who are fat or who have fat kids want to blame fast food advertising for example. I don't understand that.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

People like to blame everything but themselves for their problems.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Yes it is programming but like others here have said, it just doesn't work like it did years ago. People are far more aware now than they've ever been, and question everything on the Television and Media like never before.

Telling your kids what's going on is a smart idea. Behind the scene movies for instance, that people really can't fly like Superman so don't try it. And just because everyone on TV likes Coke doesn't mean it's good for you, in fact it's pretty much diabetes in a bottle. That kinda thing.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Here's a commercial my company made for a contest by Doritos. What do you think?

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I think you are a brave man to let people anonymously criticize your work

As I am a dick I won't give an opinion about it.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: olaru12

I think you are a brave man to let people anonymously criticize your work

As I am a dick I won't give an opinion about it.

No worries...constructive criticism is always welcome. Always learning and improving. We have moved on from commercial spots to feature films and TV pilots. Usually working for other producers however.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join