It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School uniforms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
If uniforms teach you anything its to not judge people on what they wear.

strangley enough when I was at school uniforms weren't identical. We had a house system and uniforms incorporated the house logo. Houses were offen segragated and offen compared to each other.

Originally posted by waldheimat
school uniforms cannot change or influence a person who simply realizes that in modern time and day, there is not so much a need to belong to the stronger, more powerful group.

I guese thats why here in the UK they make kids wear a uniform from a very young age before they have devoloped the awareness to completely understand our modern environment.

[edit on 20-1-2005 by TruthResearcher2000]

[edit on 20-1-2005 by TruthResearcher2000]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I see no problem with uniforms, infact I think more schools here in the UnitedStates, should have uniforms, I attend a non-uniform public school and compared to a the uniform schools I've seen and heard about, well there are a few things my school could learn from the uniform schools.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I had to wear a school uniform when I went to comprehensive school (high school) in the UK.
And I can tell you from experience that school uniforms do not really take away the "we think your a dork cause you're not wearing "fit whatever lane name brand in here" shores/pants/whatever! (sic)

Because not all school uniform blazers, pants, shirts, shoes etc. are the same. You still get the same obvious distinction between poor and wealthy kids.
So you still had the kids with expensive pants shoes etc... and those with cheap stuff or worn out hand-me-downs.
Then there is the sports outfits, we had to have a set of rugby and cricket clothes. And none of those outfits were cheap.
The rich kids had their fancy rugby shirts the rest wore plain old t-shirts.
It might not be as obvious to the casual viewer but to the kids it's just as noticeable than it would if they wore their own clothes.

School uniforms are just another tool to teach kids to be obedient and to conform.

[edit on 21/1/2005 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
what about schools where kids wear their own clothes, get good grades AND get along with one another- all without uniforms???? what is the significance of that???

what is so offensive to some of you about kids taking for granted that they can put their own clothes on their own bodies without being punished, or in some cases criminalised???

uniforms benefit uniform companies. so of course these companies want you to believe that buying their uniforms will be the best thing you ever did for your child's education....i don't think so, and all the people who did well in school and in adult life afterwards without uniforms resoundingly confirm this.

reasonable dress codes =

UNIFORMS =

[edit on 21-1-2005 by victor was right]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I have worn uniforms since sixth grade and I absolutely hate them. Uniforms don't bring about equality as many people like to believe. It's easy to weed out who's who within the first few months. Not a difficult thing. I've been insulted by many people I've never even met before while wearing a uniform. Maybe the only benefit from uniforms is the cheaper price on clothes for parents. Especially this year, I've seen it as an infringement on my freedom of expression. I don't even have a say in whether I wear it or not. My parents decide for me. I just retaliate back, though, by wearing army boots, dog tags, military jackets, pins, trench coats, anything.

However, it should be noted that my school has gotten more leniant with uniforms. We have ten shirt colors to choose from and three pants colors (including jeans). When I first came to it, we had 3 shirt colors to choose from and 2 pants colors.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This is my final year at school, last year I switched to a school with no enforced uniform, the past 10 years i'd been going to schools that required uniforms, which i'd never wear completly, i didn't see the point in being uncomfortable to sooth class tensions, thats simply absurd.

Anyway, Not wearing uniform is fantastic, contrary to popular belife it doesn't cost money to wear cool clothes, with the amount and quality of counterfiet clothes on the market, its simple, cheap and convienient.

No one is made to feel different if they wear clothes no one else would touch with a ten foot clown pole, because you learn everyone is different despite appearences we're practically all the same

Importantly its comfortable. I wore what i liked when they forced us to wear uniform, and i'll wear what i like now.

Now for my controversial views on uniforms and Single sex schools, Imo they both promote ego-centrism and in general private school boy behaviour, but thats another story.

ps scuse spelling please i'm of the Spell Check generation

top topics

<< 1   >>

join