It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your view of absolute morality?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Just because humanity is filed with hypocritical ideas do not mean there is no absolute morality and understanding to see how every action do or not do affect the whole.

a reply to: Profusion My moral code really only applies to me. Everyone much decide for themselves what they can live with in their life.

. We all choose a level of objective morality/immorality that we follow.
edit on 25-7-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This is the only absolute morality there is IMO. It's an application of the golden rule.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusionblame the male man not me, sorry. I meant mail.
Resentment will make one feel ill.
Thanks for the links in the OP!😊

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Morality is a human construction. As such, it shifts with with the culture, the era, etc.

However, significant research has been done underpinning a biological basis for morality. That is, human beings developed morality because, from an evolutionary perspective, our species is much more successful if we can live together in large groups to form societies -- so being able to maintain and respect a rule of law and a respect for our fellow man is critical to our survival as a species.

Therefore, the closer a particular moral rule gets to being a base impactor on survival, the more likely people will view it as an absolute: thou shalt not kill comes to mind, along with others.

Cultures often exempt themselves from following these rules wherever they feel it benefits them as a whole.
edit on 25-7-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Relativism is certainly the popular thinking of today.

There are indeed moral absolutes. Torturing babies purely for fun would be an example.

Just because there are ethical situations in which we can reasonably disagree does not mean that moral absolutes do not exist.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join