It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your view of absolute morality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I was convinced that the majority here didn't believe in absolute morality until I started the following thread:

Is Flirtatious Texting or Sexting Cheating?

I believe in absolute morality concerning many things. However, seeing people apply absolute morality to flirtatious texting has me wondering about just how old–fashioned ATS' are. I have no problem with a couple mutually agreeing that flirtatious texting is cheating. But, making a case that it's an issue of absolute morality?

I suppose ATS is like a box of chocolates sometimes. Often, the replies one gets to questions are based on how the questions are phrased.

How do you have a relationship with someone who doesn't care about truth?

How do people who believe 'There is no truth' function in society?

What's the point of existing in a world 'without truth'?

Is it possible to believe in justice and/or fairness without believing in right and wrong?

If you don't believe in morals/ethics then you must believe 'Might is right'

Look at the posters in the threads above who not only reject absolute morality; they reject the existence of morality and ethics. Many even deny the existence of the concepts of right and wrong.

What's your view of absolute morality?

My view is that harming another person (and in extreme cases the environment) in any way (with the exception of self-defense) is where absolute morality comes into the picture. Anything below that standard does not involve absolute morality to me.
edit on 24-7-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Shouldn't you continue the earlier thread you started?
edit on 24-7-2016 by NewzNose because: added content

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Nothing is absolute 'cept vodka.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

I believe in absolute morality concerning many things.

My view is that harming another person (and in extreme cases the environment) in any way (with the exception of self-defense) is where absolute morality comes into the picture. Anything below that standard does not involve absolute morality to me.

Cherry picking comes to mind..Yuh see, you can walk down the road any day...every day and kill millions of species without ever even knowing it, never mind driving down the road. So it's okay to do that?
So, let's just be safe and secure and apply absolute morality to just fellow humans, and apply accidental mortality to the rest...while Einstein will say we are all made of the same stuff.
Thing is, your locution is confined to your assertion here, however good your intention might be, that does not mean that perspective won't change, that makes a nonsense of both no absolute morality, and absolute morality as profound statements.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

My moral code really only applies to me.

Everyone much decide for themselves what they can live with in their life.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I think most animals have absolute morality.
Tests show universal senses of fairness across many species. How much of this is nature vs nurture I'm not sure of.

For humans?
As intelligence rises so does the ability to justify your actions.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Imo, the only really absolute morality is the golden rule. Gets to the root of everything without dogma. Just my opinion though. Morality is one of those things folks have a lot of different thoughts on. E.g. what is moral for some is terrorism to the rest of us. Id argue that its badly immoral and abhorent of course, but they dont do these thongs thinking they are evil. So what does that say about morality? I think that says that for most people ita relative to their cultural norms and teachings.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion I avoid this topic and I am not a flirt and hardly no how to... when I speak flirtations it sounds like I'm joking or really being mean...I just don't like people.
Flirting is weird when society doesn't know or remember the first thing about how to introduce oneself or each other.
Yuck...the days of sleazy pick up lines.
Texting for me is annoying and sexting is disturbing...I can't grasp the need for it.
Folks should just write love letters and poetry...through the snail mail system or to the universe where everyone can feel cared about or know that love, romantic or otherwise exists.
Interesting topic.

edit on 24-7-2016 by peppycat because: pick ups...😚

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Morality is perspective.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
Texting for me is annoying

Now I know why you never replied to the private message I sent you. I completely understand what you're saying.

edit on 25-7-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I'm against it.
It would make me an outcast ,in about an hour.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Truth (moral truth) must come from a source that is absolute, else we are effectively making up our own truth and that would just be make-believe bs.

See my posts (10 posts or so) in this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is no rational argument against it. Either there is absolute truth or there is bs. And not only that but truth must be a sentient being. (the body of God).
edit on 7/25/2016 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusionwhat pm? How long ago was this?

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

a reply to: Profusionwhat pm? How long ago was this?

Click the mail icon in the upper right hand corner of the forum. It was titled "Hi!"

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusiononly Another member said hi, every pm is green and not white... your lying... sorry you never pm'd me.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I'm much more of a relativist due to being aware that times change and cultures have different moral guidelines. A few decades ago, it was fine to have children working in coal mines or in mill factories and now it's seen as despicable. However, over in parts of India or in other countries, child labour is considered morally okay because it can bring resources into the family.

Another one is how tribes in PNG and South America view morality. Some of them exercise summary 'euthanasia' by killing the old and the infirm without warning. Whilst this is clear-cut murder in our society, it's a means to an end in theirs as it means they can travel faster and live better. They might also execute raids and killings of other tribes to weaken their opponents. Again, this is either murder, or perhaps warfare, in our world, but in theirs it keeps tribes healthy, sustainable and strong.

Arguably, their values and morality are where ours were in the not-so-distant past. We can use that evidence of progression to imply that our current morality will also change in the future.

As for today's world, I believe there are scenarios where killing others is morally justified. Euthanasia is something I strongly support and killing to protect others is ethically sound too. This is why I oppose capital punishment, a person in custody is no longer a threat to the public.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

a reply to: Profusiononly Another member said hi, every pm is green and not white... your lying... sorry you never pm'd me.

I resent it. Here's the only proof I have:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Imo, the only really absolute morality is the golden rule.

Yep "do unto others before they can do unto you"

Just kiddin (maybe)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
morality is a subjective thing. in some cultures human sacrifice was morally ok and people willingly volunteered. its a social construct that is ever changing

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Golden rule and Karma. When people make a mutualistic agreement they should make sure they have the same idea of what should be apart of it. If they cannot agree with the details then they should not make an agreement.

But today many are forced to make parasitic agreement where one or more parties have no rights to make demand that the agreement should be fair. Society have ways to make people bend when they should not since they do not see the big picture and are brainwashed not to see.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join