It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building an AR15 from a 80% lower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I am starting a build on a AR,just wondered if anyone on here have done these.I have a easy jig and all the tools,really don`t think it`ll be any problem at all,mostly just curious why other people go this route.My reasons are mostly I enjoy this kind of hobby.I built several Long Rifles,both Flintlock and percussion in the past and just would love to have time to do more someday.Other reasons would be cheaper,unregistered,and more choice of configuration.Pride of doing the work yourself is the big one for me,whats your takes on it?Oh,having a AR is also fun because its a way of saying F@#$ political correctness,thats a bonus for me.Any tips will be appreciated,never ignore experienced people.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

Picked up a polymer 80 lower a couple years ago, haven't had the time yet to tackle it. But will try to keep an eye on this thread to check out your progress, and good luck / enjoy! Saw a good deal the other day on a lower parts kit, now this thread I am beginning to think I am being led into a new build lol..

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

My son and I have built many AR's over the years. From 10 inch pistols to 24 inch bull barrel target models. Just this weekend, my wife and I tuned in her new Colt M4. We started with a CMMG 22LR conversion kit to zero in the sites then changed the bolt carrier group for full power 556mm. We were shooting the new Colt ammunition with a 62 grain projectile. This ammo is made in Eastern Europe under the Colt name and seems to function ok.

Take your time, take small cuts with sharp tools and most of all, enjoy.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I have built a few rifles and pistols on the AR platform, but have never used an 80% lower.

My opinion is that you can get a very high quality stripped lower for literally $50 so why would you go through the hassle of spending about the same on an 80% lower and running the risk of being even a fraction of a millimeter off on something that ruins the entire lower? I understand the desire to keep it off the books, but I also feel that if they come for your guns they're going to get them whether they are listed with the BATF or not - unless you're going to bury it in the woods for later retrieval somewhere..

I learned to complete a lower and upper and proper torque settings for barrels and things like that through YouTube and the very knowledgeable people at AR15.com. I think this type of question is much better suited for them. I've read a few instances where people screwed up their 80% lower, and while I'm confident in my abilities and I'm sure you are in yours, mistakes do happen.

I just bought a 5 pack of Anderson lowers (right after the Orlando shooting) for around $250 shipped, including my transfer fee of $10 (my FFL is the shiznit).

And just for fun, my most recent build that was completed around January of this year. I think I'm going to register it and make it an SBR.

edit on 24-7-2016 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I am jealous of you guy's.
One day...

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I've done several 80% lowers and even a few 0% forgings... They weren't hard, the key is taking it slowly, secure your setups well, make slow passes, measure often and correctly, and finally just have fun.

Personally I'm thinking about doing a jack squat steel puzzle piece lower receiver kit.

I'm very much considering doing retro builds as well as stuff like Daewoo k2 based clones.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: jaynkeelThought about a polymer,work with aluminum on my job so went with familiar.Build while you can get your parts,who knows what will happen in November.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Thanks for the advice everyone,might have to pick up a .22 conversion kit if they work better than the ones we shot in basic at Lackland afb,they jammed like crazy.Do any of you have any experience with the 6.5 grendal? Might build one of those next and wonder what the accuracy is like in the real world.Also looking at the .458 socom since I could use the same bullets I reload in my .45-70.Ah heck,don`t even have my parts in and planning for more,there goes some of the overtime pay,lol.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
6.5 Grendel works very well and is legal in places where 5.56 isn't for hunting. People are getting pretty amazing accuracy at 1000+ yards with them. However, you absolutely need 18-24 inch barrels and very strong bolts if you intend to use Grendel in an AR15.

I do my AR15 receivers from 0% 7071 aluminum forgings using mostly information gleaned from the Ray Vin PDF.

If you can't find this PDF let me know I'll link you. Additionally you can pretty easily upgrade a stand alone drill press to function without destroying it as a vertical mill.

This is a hobby that you can take as far as you want, right up to highly modified receivers designed to use AK magazines or et cetera.

people that want to demonize the hobby and associate it with criminality terrorism and hate groups are the crazy people, not the hobbyists who pursue this...

After all, in the recent French terror attacks recently there were no guns found with polymer 80 receivers...

But there was a gun from operation fast and furious...

So an operation started with the express intent of subverting public support for the second amendment has cost lives as far away as France.

Meanwhile the guns built by American hobbyists who choose to exercise their rights while enjoying the hobby are demonized and accused of being gun runners and terrorists...

Remember this in November

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechieThanks,a 6.5 is definitely next.You can bet everything you own if I am alive and able to vote it`s going to be for pro second amendment candidates all the way.I`ve been a member of the NRA since 1978 when I was 18 and have talked as many people as I could into joining.You know what?Not one person has been shot by any of my guns or those of my friends except in service,military and police.We know the truth,leftists try to deny reality.Maybe Ann Coulter was right when she said liberalism is a mental disorder.Hopefully this Saturday I`ll get a day off and finish this one up,will post pics when its done.A lot easier than building Pennsylvania and Tennesse longrifles from stock blanks and inletting everything,but it sure is fun.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have the aluminum and the skill to build a bolt together AR lower.

And here are the plans
www.weaponeer.net...=1&zoom=auto,-99,798
www.calguns.net...
I have a registered calif legal AR .

If they make it illegal to have first i will take it to nevada.

Then if a federal law is passed where everyone has to turn theirs in i will strip mine down to the lower receiver and only turn in the stripped lower receiver the rest of the parts i will keep and hide.

the part that legally makes a AR15 a gun is the lower receiver with the serial number on it
if the government tells you that you have to turn in your AR only give them the stripped lower receiver and if they ask for the rest tell them to ki** y**r A**.

THEN GO HOME AND USE THE ABOVE PLANS TO BUILD A GHOST GUN.

I bought a lower receiver and custom build my AR15 from gun show parts.
and the paper work the state and feds have only shows i bought a AR lower and not that i ever bought a complete gun.
edit on 27-7-2016 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED Good to have the plans.Sure feel sorry for the normal people out in Ca having to put up with a insane government,not that our Federal one is much better.I was stationed at March AFB in the late 80`s and it wasn`t near as bad as now,but compared to Tn it was pretty insane even then.Liberals just can`t seem to understand that criminals never obey laws or they wouldn't be criminals.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
COOL THREAD !

Don't have anyone to chat with about the two 80% lowers I milled out early this year. Daytona Tactical 2-fer and a jig combo deal. With a little ingenuity and power tools, this was very simple to accomplish with absolutely perfect results. I took pics of every step and would like to share them with you. Please be patient as I learn how to post pics.

The jig design required hogging out most the material using a drill press and bit. Then after modifying the jig adding a 8"x12" plate to use a router with guide collar to follow jig shape along with milling bits taking 3/16" at a time, the task was extremely simple with little or no room for mistakes. 1-1/2 hours to complete one lower (including cleanup & smoke breaks).

Here is a list of tools used HD=Home Depot HFT=Harbor Freight Tools OW=Owned

Air Compressor OW
12" drill press OW
$5 Bolts jig mod HD
$20 Set of carbon drill bits HFT
$10 Drill bit stop collars HFT
$15 Vise block HFT
$40 Router sacrificial base was cut to clear buffer HFT
$10 Router collars HFT
$15 Mill bits 2-flute HFT
$10 Digital mic HFT
$10 Cutting oil HFT

To complete what I call "Final pass" for sides & depth, I removed the router guide collar and used cutting oil during cutting. This created a smooth as glass finish.

Will try to post pics to maybe help put together the steps taken during the milling. Of course, use safety glasses and measure after every pass. When complete, the brothers were open for business. Damn that was fun !
edit on 29-7-2016 by CADpro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Daytona Tactical is what I have,got a kit with a 80% lower.Bought a easy jig and tools from 80% arms,had the other tools,should finish up today after I sleep-worked last night and don`t want to do anything till I`m rested.Already planning the next one,gonna be a 6.5 Grendal,this definatly is a FUN hobby.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Ok,done,may try a high grade trigger,but probably do that with the next build,if anyone is thinking of giving it a try I say go for it,it`s actually pretty easy if you take your time.Only problem I had is the bolt had a burr,some polishing took care of that.Haven`t figured how to post a pic or would post one,looks like every other AR though so nothing really to see.Great fun project,will not be the last one

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Just built another buying an upper kit from Daytona Tactical. S/S barrel this time and of course like the others, a 15" keymod rail. Purchased an ATI OMNI Hybrid poly lower for $69 (paperwork filled out). I find flip up sights and OK scopes on Amazon keeping my total cost to about $700 including a nice case and a couple mags from Academy Sports.

Maybe build an AR10 next. Bigger pow pow !

new topics

top topics

join