It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KickassTorrents — Domain Names Seized! Owner Arrested! Website Goes Down!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

'The federal authorities have finally arrested the alleged mastermind behind the world's largest and most notorious BitTorrent distribution site KickassTorrents (KAT), the US Justice Department announced on Wednesday.'

'After The Pirate Bay had suffered copyright infringement hardship, KickassTorrents (KAT) became the biggest and most-used pirate site on the Internet, attracting millions of daily unique visitors.
However, the site appears to be offline.'

KickassTorrents — Domain Names Seized! Owner Arrested! Website Goes Down!

I don't know if this is news to anyone but I got a big fright to learn of the fate of a man who was just trying to bring us a free internet. May he find justice and be released!

R.I.P kickass torrent!

www.wired.com...

www.mirror.co.uk...

torrentfreak.com...

More links!
edit on 7/24/2016 by HD3DSURROUNDSOUND because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/24/2016 by HD3DSURROUNDSOUND because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I seen this a few days ago. Never thought to post a thread on it. He has a few things going on with this. Apparently he was laundering money in the midst of this. A report came out saying he received about $28M back in May. A secret link was posted on the site for 5 days that said “Download faster: here” with his real name, bank account, and even his facebook. Seems like he was asking to get caught if you ask me. I wish i could find the source, sorry.

Anyways, Kickass is back as Kat.am. Have fun.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mizzijr

Anyways, Kickass is back as Kat.am. Have fun.

LOLOLOL

Well, that was certainly worth all the trouble and time invested in tracking down that big criminal wasn't it???

God forbid they actually go after some real criminals like the ones in office for a change.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
They have launched an all out assault on Torrents very effectively in the last year.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Internet piracy is like Hydra.

For every head they cut off, ten more grow in its place.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: HD3DSURROUNDSOUND
[May he find justice and be released!

HAHAHA

Like anyone that cross big buiness and money he will face a kangaroo court with a rigged jury and will then get a sentence longer than most murders in a hellhole fedral prison among violent criminals/borderline animals.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Sucks for the guy but im sure the site made him rich and surely he expected this eventually.
Makes absolutely zero difference.

There are literally hundreds of kickass mirror sites. Good luck feds

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

edit on ESunday4024pm0623 by Elijah23 because: Nothing to see here. .. move along ...

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
whats funny is the site itself didnt host anything. So how can he be jailed for not stealing anything? even has a disclaimer up about downloading is wrong. lol.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
whats funny is the site itself didnt host anything. So how can he be jailed for not stealing anything? even has a disclaimer up about downloading is wrong. lol.

Yah, it's called aiding and abetting the thieves and the crooks.

Facilitating crime is just as punishable as the crime itself.

The trick is that you've got to be facilitating both crime and legal activity, and the ratio of legal activity to crime has to be greater than 1. So, when they come for your site, you can say "like google" that most of your customers are using the site for legal purposes, and you can't police all the criminals in the world.

What really bothers me though, is that they never went after all the Cassette Tape and VHS Tape manufacturers, who provided the means to duplicate all the music and movies in the last decades.

File sharing is nothing new. It's been going on from the dawn of the technology era. People have always made copies of music and flims from their neighbors and friends and even held house parties where people came to listen to their music, without paying the artist a fee for each ear or eyeball that had contact with their copy of the data.

The Internet has changed the scale of the copying, but not the facts, nor the principle.

So, now you'd better not play any copyrighted music at your house party, because they might just come and arrest you for illegally sharing the sounds with your invitees.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Yah, it's called aiding and abetting the thieves and the crooks.

You could go one step further and say the internet aids crime, so should be shut down as well. Or one step back and fine the internet provider for allowing illegal torrent to be uploaded from their network. They are clearly going after the easier target but I really don't think it will profit them. If movie companies immediately streamed new releases for a nominal fee ($2-$5) people wouldn't bother downloading illegal torrents. Is all about assessing films at the earliest opportunity without the hassle of going to the cinema's.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

You could go one step further and say the internet aids crime, so should be shut down as well..

Actually, what has happened is that advances in technology has changed the realities, and society is struggling to put the old industrial era paradigms back into the bottle, which has burst.

When products were all physical things, you could hold in your hands, that came out of factories, that required those factories to duplicate, and so on, the ideas of this is mine and that is yours was clear cut.

Soon, a person will be able to use a camera to capture a 3D image of a gun, and then immediately print that gun on a 3D printer.

How to put that technology back into the bottle?

Whose gun is it?

It's your materials, your printer, but someone else's "design."

Who should you pay for the right to print that gun on your 3D printer?

How would you enforce this?

As easily as the gun is printed, it can be destroyed, and re-printed again when needed.

So, the cops knock on your door, and you quickly destroy the gun. As soon as they leave, you re-print it.

The gun is no longer a "permanent" artifact.

It's an "idea."

Evidence appears and disappears at will.

The only thing that is permanent, is the idea itself.

Ok, so someone claims the design as their own, and demands royalties for all who want to 3D print one.

So, you take their design, and modify it slightly, and create a "new gun" design, that differs from theirs.

The ease with which these modifications can be made, again changes the realities.

Drug companies do this all the time. But, they take years to design a new drug. Soon, these things will be re-designed in "seconds".

The coming changes are vast.

What is thought to be illegal today, will have absolutely no meaning tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Mizzijr

Are you sure that's not a trap, virus pit or the like? Because its landing page looks off, compare to KAT's old look.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Oh wait its a clone, not from KAT, and thus not vetted for safety. Yeah nah, I'm not sure I'd trust it.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Good its back online, used it allt for the FLAC secrion.
Aswell as compliment to private trackers, it has alot of everything.
edit on 19 07 2016 by fredrikfritte because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I never thought much of that particular site but if you are inconvienced I have invites to iptorrents, just pm me

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
KAT has been back up actually, but now torrentz just decided the shut down. Looks like for good.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Go private or get the letter. Been with close-knit communities for over a decade now.
edit on 5-8-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

top topics

join