It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unidentified Metal Sphere found on Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
NASA's Mars Rover Opportunity has discovered a spherical metal object that is shiny and pockmarked. While some scientist think this may be a meteorite others are skeptical.

Opportunity is currently taking mass spectrometer readings to determine the makeup of the sphere, which is expected to have a large amount of iron. Of note is the reflectivity of the surface of the object as well as the roughly spherical shape. Additionally the object is just sitting in the sandy martian soil with no signs of a crater or impact with the surface.

CNN article on the object.

Raw image gallery of the object.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
my best guess metour fragmint or somthing or it's a metal or some sort of solid deposite

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It's far from spherical!

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Looks like a giant cosmic booger.

Thats a shiny rock. Fairly obvious I think. Maybe an Iron meteor or something.

E_T

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lepracornman
my best guess metour fragmint or somthing or it's a metal or some sort of solid deposite
IMO surface looks pretty exactly what I would expect from meteorite.

Also part of meteorites/meteoroids are literally solid chunks of iron. (only few percents other elements)

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
.. Where's the impact crater?
Looks like a very smooth landing for a meteorite. It must be light as a feather.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adregalus
.. Where's the impact crater?
Looks like a very smooth landing for a meteorite. It must be light as a feather.

It could have happened thousands, or millions, of years ago and through some geologocal process been raised to the surface. I believe things like that happen here on Earth, even. I'll shoot a u2u over to Rock Hunter and get some input on that.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
NO crater is sometimes normal.
Depends on a lot of things.
Bit As cmdrdkeenkid said, it could have landed on Mars
a long long time ago.

IF this area is an ancient lakebed as theorized, it could have even
been frozen at some stages. If so, the crater would have formed
in the ice, as the water slowly disappeared, the rock was softly laid onto
what is now a plain.
Think about it, ice fields on Earth are some of the best places to find
meteorites here. Thats where the famous "Martian Meteorite" was found.

Also, smaller meteorites, that make it through the atmosphere are usually slowed down significantly. On earth, they can be slowed to terminal velocity. On Mars, it depends on the thickness of the atmosphere at the time of impact.

So, it's very possible to have a craterless meteorite.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
A sense of scale would have been really helpful here.i think it could be the core of a meteorite ,the rest of the meteorite could have been weathered off.And the uneven soil around it,couldn't it be debris?

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone3d
A sense of scale would have been really helpful here.i think it could be the core of a meteorite ,the rest of the meteorite could have been weathered off.And the uneven soil around it,couldn't it be debris?

Well you can see some of the rover in the picture, so you can see that it isn't small. I don't know much about the size of the rovers offhand, other than that they are pretty big. So my guess is that it's a fairly large object.

And weathering of iron is pretty hard to accomplish, I think. I don't doubt that some of it has been weathered off by the sand around it since the edges are pretty smooth, but I really doubt much of the original meteorite has been lost due to that.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I wish they had some color pics could be gold
I love Gold and that would be one huge mars nugget. 2012 Gold rush mars or bust!

It does look some what metalic and it really seems out of place cant even see another rock at all in the area.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It almost looks like the object is hovering in this photo...
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

If I had to guess, I would say it's probably a piece of discarded martian chewing gum.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
sorrry, not gold, looks like an Iron meterorite

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
off trhe topic but why do all these nasa photos seem to be black and whihte. we have technology to send this machine there but cant send a kodak dispossible.

link   
no matter HOW hard I squint at this pic it just does not APPEAR to be sphericall........it isnt round.
Ive seen round things before and this is NOT what they look like.

link   
Nice picture

Well if it is a metorite even better they are worth more then gold sometimes well earth gold dont know how much you could get for some Mars gold.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
Ive seen round things before and this is NOT what they look like.

If you were to get rid of the dimples and pock marks, the overall shape of the object is fairly round. That's all that's being implied when people say spherical.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hmm massive chunks of gold.

Reminds me of that star whose core is one big diamond.

E_T

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Also, smaller meteorites, that make it through the atmosphere are usually slowed down significantly. On earth, they can be slowed to terminal velocity. On Mars, it depends on the thickness of the atmosphere at the time of impact.
Small meteorites loose their cosmic speed completely in atmosphere and drop to surface like stone you throw to air. (if they aren't vaporized or explode)

If they would retain their cosmic speeds even fist sized meteorite could do serious damage to "target".

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear
off trhe topic but why do all these nasa photos seem to be black and whihte. we have technology to send this machine there but cant send a kodak dispossible.
Images for scientific use are pretty much just BW images.
Also taking color photos requires taking three separate photos through red, green and blue filters and then combining these to final picture (that's what RGB means) ... meaning also it would require tripled amount of bandwidth to transfer.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
the enchanced pic almost makes it look like a volcanic rock. I has a glossyness to it also.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join