It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Testament Misogyny

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MrBlaq

This is the Misogyny thread though, not the drinking, gambling, and tithing thread.

I would not have written the story in this thread except for the part about the women who had a grievance with me found it necessary to get a man who was an elder also but in a different congregation to confront me.

But tithing though, started out as a family thing, save up the 10%, go to the religious shrine, throw a party which includes drink and invite the poor to join in.

Then some prophet gets it in his head that the 10% should go to rebuilding the temple instead.

Then some Christians get the notion it should go to support the church.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

better cite your quote.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Without a doubt it's the wealthiest organization on the planet.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

This is the Misogyny thread though, not the drinking, gambling, and tithing thread. I would not have written the story in this thread except for the part about the women who had a grievance with me found it necessary to get a man who was an elder also but in a different congregation to confront me. But tithing though, started out as a family thing, save up the 10%, go to the religious shrine, throw a party which includes drink and invite the poor to join in. Then some prophet gets it in his head that the 10% should go to rebuilding the temple instead. Then some Christians get the notion it should go to support the church.

Yes you're right, this is the Misogyny thread. Didn't this term Misogynist
come from the Feminist movement? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I
think for the most part they were lesbians who had beef with any
traditional roles for women.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrBlaq

Not even close, the Saudi Royal family and their black box religion in Mecca blows the RCC out of the water.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Yes you're right, this is the Misogyny thread. Didn't this term Misogynist come from the Feminist movement? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for the most part they were lesbians who had beef with any traditional roles for women.

Yep......Only lesbians wanted the right to divorce from their husbands, inherit land and own a business. It was only lesbians that joined those immoral Women's suffrage protests!

Only lesbians would demand to be seen as equal to their husbands!

misogyny (n.) 1650s, from Modern Latin misogynia, from Greek misogynia, from misogynes "woman-hater," from miso- (see miso-) + gyne "woman".

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Not even close, the Saudi Royal family and their black box religion in Mecca blows the RCC out of the water.

So they are both hypocrites. What are the odds?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Didn't this term Misogynist come from the Feminist movement?

Misogyny comes into English from the ancient Greek word misogunia (μισογυνία), which survives in two passages.[12]

The earlier, longer, and more complete passage comes from a moral tract known as On Marriage (c. 150 BC) by the stoic philosopher Antipater of Tarsus. Antipater argues that marriage is the foundation of the state, and considers it to be based on divine (polytheistic) decree. Antipater uses misogunia to describe Euripides' usual writing—tēn misogunian en tō graphein (τὴν μισογυνίαν ἐν τῷ γράφειν "the misogyny in the writing"). However, he mentions this by way of contrast. He goes on to quote Euripides at some length, writing in praise of wives. Antipater does not tell us what it is about Euripides' writing that he believes is misogynistic, he simply expresses his belief that even a man thought to hate women (namely Euripides) praises wives, so concluding his argument for the importance of marriage. He says, "This thing is truly heroic."[
.[12]
wikipedia

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

the use of the word “misogyny” can be traced back to the 1600's, sorry, don't believe the feminists were around back then.. and the was much more to the women's movement for rights than a "beef" with "traditional roles"

edit on 27-7-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

I don't believe that. The Saudi's don't own property & land in almost every country
on the Planet. The RCC has been hoarding GOLD, & precious jewels, and hundreds
of pieces of priceless ART before Saudi Arabia ever became a nation.

The wealth of the RCC can't even be calculated.

edit on 7/28/2016 by MrBlaq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Appreciate the correction from everyone concerning the term misogyny.
The OP's complaint seeking to denigrate the WORD of GOD as though
the people of God live like the secular world seemed odd.

The people of God don't have an issue with misogyny, just those
trying to follow Christiandom.

edit on 7/28/2016 by MrBlaq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I don't believe that. The Saudi's don't own property & land in almost every country
on the Planet. The RCC has been hoarding GOLD, & precious jewels, and hundreds
of pieces of priceless ART before Saudi Arabia ever became a nation.

The wealth of the RCC can't even be calculated.

Their GDP is 1.7 trillion per year. ARAMCO is worth a net 10 trillion.

Vatican doesn't come close.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Their GDP is 1.7 trillion per year. ARAMCO is worth a net 10 trillion. Vatican doesn't come close.

According to Wikipedia;
Saudi Aramco's value has been estimated at anywhere between 1.25 trillion
and 10 trillion making it the world's most valuable company.

ESTIMATED worth between two figures is not the truth of your statement Sir.

The dictionary defines Honesty as;
a) fairness and straightforwardness of conduct
b) adherence to the facts

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

or those who were living in those predominately christian countries that were trying to mold their laws according to christian doctrines....

The history of mankind is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations on the part of man
toward woman, having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over her. To
prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has never permitted her to exercise her inalienable right to the elective franchise.

He has compelled her to submit to law in the formation of which she had no voice.

He has withheld from her rights which are given to the most ignorant and degraded men, both
natives and foreigners. Having deprived her of this first right as a citizen, the elective franchise,
thereby leaving her without representation in the halls of legislation, he has oppressed her on all
sides.

He has made her, if married, in the eye of the law, civilly dead.

He has taken from her all right in property, even to the wages she earns.

He has made her morally, an irresponsible being, as she can commit many crimes with impunity,
provided they be done in the presence of her husband.

In the covenant of marriage, she is compelled to promise obedience to her husband, he
becoming, to all intents and purposes, her master the law giving him power to deprive her of her liberty and to administer chastisement.

He has so framed the laws of divorce, as to what shall be the proper causes and, in case of
separation, to whom the guardianship of the children shall be given, as to be wholly regardless of
the happiness of the women the law, in all cases, going upon a false supposition of the
supremacy of man and giving all power into his hands.

After depriving her of all rights as a married woman, if single and the owner of property, he has
taxed her to support a government which recognizes her only when her property can be made
profitable to it.

He has monopolized nearly all the profitable employments, and from those she is permitted to
follow, she receives but a scanty remuneration. He closes against her all the avenues to wealth
and distinction which he considers most honorable to himself. As a teacher of theology,
medicine, or law, she is not known.

He has denied her the facilities for obtaining a thorough education, all colleges being closed
against her.

He allows her in church, as well as state, but a subordinate position, claiming apostolic authority
for her exclusion from the ministry, and, with some exceptions, from any public participation in
the affairs of the church.

He has created a false public sentiment by giving to the world a different code of morals for men
and women, by which moral delinquencies which exclude women from society are not only
tolerated but deemed of little account in man.

He has usurped the prerogative of Jehovah himself, claiming it as his right to assign for her a
sphere of action, when that belongs to her conscience and to her God.

He has endeavored, in every way that he could, to destroy her confidence in her own powers, to
lessen her self respect, and to make her willing to lead a dependent and abject life.
Now, in view of this entire disfranchisement of one-half the people of this country, their social and religious
degradation, in view of the unjust laws above mentioned, and because women do feel themselves
aggrieved, oppressed, and fraudulently deprived of their most sacred rights, we insist that they
have immediate admission to all the rights and privileges which belong to them as citizens of the
United State.

Declaration of Sentiments
by Elizabeth Stanton

speech delivered at the First Women's Rights Convention - 1848

how many times have we read on these boards christians claiming that this country was founded on christian principles, that the US is a CHRISTIAN NATION...

well this gives us a glimpse of the life of women in 1848...

edit on 28-7-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

“I long to hear that you have declared an independency. And, by the way, in the new code of laws which I suppose it will be necessary for you to make, I desire you would remember the ladies and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the husbands. Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice or representation.”

Abigail Adams
March 31, 1776

it seems that there is a long line of christian ancestors living in a world fill with misogyny that was based on just one simple idea held within their holy book... that the two become one with the husband as the head. I mean, if the two are one flesh than the gov't and laws only need to recognize one, and since the husband is the head, well of course it should be him!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

or those who were living in those predominately christian countries that were trying to mold their laws according to christian doctrines

One of the issues is many religions take the title of Christian who are
immensely far from Christ. One need look no further than the
Roman Catholic Church who tortured and slaughtered hundreds of
thousands of Protestants in contradiction to Christ teachings that
one should love their enemies.

For example, William Tyndale was murdered and burned on a stake simply
because he desired to translate the Bible for the common people in England.

Now imagine what type of organization murders a man just because that
man wishes to help others know the scriptures. When such an
organization takes the title of Christian in contrast to behavior that
exhibits nothing more than murderers, they have defamed what
it means to be a true Christian.

edit on 7/29/2016 by MrBlaq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

the main influence in england and the US was the protestant sects, not catholic. but let's consider for a moment what you are saying shall we??
you are saying that through most of the history of the christian church, the church leadership, those that should have had the deepest understanding of the religion, the closest bond to christ, shouldn't be held as examples of Christian virtues because they so often misused their power in order to subjugate people and maintain their power hold....
but it's perfectly okay that the book, along with the religion teaches women to be subservient, obedient, and submissive to their husbands IN ALL THINGS because the bible also tell the husbands to love their wives...

and you go on to say that this has never caused any true christian any problems, only those non-christians who were just trying to follow the religion...

I mentioned the fact that even some church elders were known to abuse their wives...
now I am gonna tell you a story of one of those wives...
a christian wife!!
I had the opportunity of running across her on the old yahoo forums, on a thread for abused christian women.
her husband (who was a church deacon) had a habit of beating her, demanded sex on demand, and well, she wasn't that happy. at first she tried talking to the church pastor and some of the women in the church... it didn't help much and some of them gave her the feeling that they were blaming her, if only she would try harder to please him, it would all work out. none of them advised her to get out of the situation.. which she finally did, after a visit to the er.
she had no money, no place to go, and figured the kids would be safe with him. so she left and was living in a danged car. well, then she found out that once she was gone, the husband went to molesting her daughter..
we had a brow beater on that thread... he took that as an opportunity to place more blame on her, because well she should have made herself available to him instead of leaving him... it was her that endangered her daughter.

she was a christian, she was on that forum, much like I was, just trying to make sense of just what the heck god expected from women. I don't know how her story ended, just how mine did...
god offers salvation to all, but for a women to accept it, she must have her husband's permission. the churches should do less door knocking and inviting children and women into their doors and just concentrate on the men, since in the whole scheme of things, it is only them that matters anyways!

the church had spent over a thousand years, much of it with an amazing amount of power over the people's lives. and you admit that they were quite accustomed to abusing that power in many different ways... using some sections of the bible that justified it while ignoring other sections that told them something different..
and yet, you will stand by the idea that men should be giving this amazing amount of power over their wives, stated the few verses in the bible that seem to indicate that they should be loving their wives and ignoring a large amount of it that justifies misogyny and abuse of power. and then to top it off, you tell me that those who might have a problem with it (who most certainly wouldn't be the men of christian wives who are trying to follow the christian doctrines) just aren't christians anyways.....

so you seem to be supporting my conclusion, aren't you???

edit on 29-7-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Excuse me, you don't know me so you're slandering me by insinuating that I'm a liar, dishonesty is the WILFULL spreading or telling of known false things. The Wiki article I got my information from said the GDP per year of Saudi Arabia is $1.7 trillion, and said the Financial Times estimated ARAMCO net worth at $10 trillion.

Don't ever assume or insinuate someone is a liar unless you know they knew the truth and said something false, that's slander.

Economy of Saudi Arabia

edit on 7 29 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I think that a particular denomination's or even congregation's attitude concerning marriage and divorce can pretty much be used as a sort of litmus test. Generally, mainstream Protestant churches are of the opinion that marriage is an agreement between human people, and not an act of God. To them God is not static, but rather grows and changes with the human race.

Of course, Biblical literalists take that as outright blasphemy. The modern churches really don't care that much what the culturally retarded think.

The last church I was an elder for did have a liberal understanding of marriage, however, no one in that congregation had actually taken the step of getting divorced. After I got divorced, three other couples, including the interim Pastor soon got divorced also. It's as if they were just waiting for an example to follow. The interim Pastor pretty much told me that that was the case.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

or those who were living in those predominately christian countries that were trying to mold their laws according to christian doctrines

One of the issues is many religions take the title of Christian who are
immensely far from Christ. One need look no further than the
Roman Catholic Church who tortured and slaughtered hundreds of
thousands of Protestants in contradiction to Christ teachings that
one should love their enemies.

This is the same church that gave you the New Testament that destroyed all original documents in Aramaic and decided what the New Testament was as far as contents. Constantine was just as bad. So were his minions the priests that the council that made Jesus a God.

For example, William Tyndale was murdered and burned on a stake simply
because he desired to translate the Bible for the common people in England.

Now imagine what type of organization murders a man just because that
man wishes to help others know the scriptures.

Unfortunately the same one that made them.

When such an
organization takes the title of Christian in contrast to behavior that
exhibits nothing more than murderers, they have defamed what
it means to be a true Christian.

Every Christian nation has started wars. Name one that hasn't. Ethiopia has a pretty peaceful history and a habit of preserving ancient documents but you don't accept a lot of their texts and do the Roman?

Ok.
edit on 29-7-2016 by Muffenstuff because: (no reason given)

<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join