It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio judge sends lawyer to jail for wearing ‘Black Lives Matter’ pin in court

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry
a reply to: smurfy

But a cross and the blm movement are so distant, it's showing your bias. really...

No, it's showing yours, both are deemed political topics, and quite frankly the SCOTUS don't really know how to deal with it properly.
Alexis de Tocqueville wrote, "There is hardly a political question in the United States which does not sooner or later turn into a judicial one.”
He was probably right, and you are probably wrong, since everybody needs to be equal under the law, and wearing a badge should make no difference, when the reality is that there are winners and losers all in the meantime.
I have no bias, and what I say makes no difference anyway....why? because I am not a judge.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Maybe she should have listened to the judge

She doesn't have to listen to the judge. The judge is just a public servant. He works for the people.

The people make the law.

The greatest law of the land, begins with the statement "WE THE PEOPLE"....

It says nothing about judges.

When the citizen sees something wrong with the way the hired servants are doing their work, it is the right and obligation of the citizen to correct the servants.

The judge takes his orders from the people.

Of course, a single individual doesn't by herself have the power, but she can begin the process of raising the issue, and if other people agree, then by force of "the people" things can be changed.

It all starts with a single voice.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

but she can begin the process of raising the issue

Exactly. She can make a case out of it or something if she wants. She cannot argue with a judge when he asks to remove the pin.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Why was she even there?

I'm sorry, are you genuinely asking why a lawyer would be in a courtroom?

Lawyers should be a blank canvas, not a walking billboard for an ideology. I don't care if it's a BLM badge, an NRA tshirt, or a Trump hat, they all stay outside.

If they want to do anything to influence the people listening, they should do it through words and evidence that the other party can examine and contradict.

The judge is absolutely spot on.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

She doesn't have to listen to the judge. The judge is just a public servant. He works for the people.

Try that the next time you are in court and see what happens. You don't have to be involved with the trial. Just show up and continue to do whatever the judge tells you to stop doing. You'll get the same treatment. Yes. Judges have to be listened to because the represent the PEOPLE. Not one faction or another. ALL people.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Yes, she most certainly does have to listen to the judge in his or her courtroom.

They aren't really asking, they're telling. ...and disobeying carries repercussions, usually unpleasant.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: AMPTAH

Try that the next time you are in court and see what happens. You don't have to be involved with the trial. Just show up and continue to do whatever the judge tells you to stop doing. You'll get the same treatment. Yes. Judges have to be listened to because the represent the PEOPLE. Not one faction or another. ALL people.

Absolutely!

These judges run their courtrooms. The best thing you can do is comply just like you need to with law enforcement unless you want to get shot (figuratively speaking in the court room).

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Chickensalad
a reply to: intrptr

So now you're trying to equate govt seals and judicial attire to political memes/insignia?

How, in your mind, are they the same?

Was that pin the case before the court on the docket that morning? The judge needed a distraction too.

She made it the case. She escalated something that started as a simple request that should have taken all of ten seconds to resolve.

Once that process starts, what do you expect the judge to do? Say "Oh, sorry, I didn't think you'd make a fuss, so I'll just back down"? That's not going to happen, nor should it happen.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

He called Burton into his chambers to discuss the matter privately and then adjourned her case after she continued to refuse.

he was more than fair with her

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Why was she even there? Because she was exercising her right to free speech?

you must be new to ATS...I understand

from the op

Attorney Andrea Burton was arrested at a Youngstown, Ohio courthouse on Fridaywhile representing a client.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

sacred place of law and justice

I wouldnt go that far...unless you're saying we should be worshipping the man in a black robe or that justice has anything to do with the "law".

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Maybe she should have been removed instead of wasting taxpayer's dollars.

But you said you weren't certain of the facts when you could have looked at the link - and you are worried about taxpayer dollars now? OK...whatever

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Understand this people.

A Judge is GOD in a courtroom.

I learned that the hardway while on jury duty as this stupid dumb ass lady did

Though I didn’t end up in jail but I dam near did

A judge can order a bailiff to dam near do anything to you

Always remember that if you go in or near a court room.

as a lawyer this lady should have known better

DO NOT EVER PISS OFF A JUDGE

edit on 23-7-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Understand this people.

A Judge is GOD in a courtroom.

If everybody agrees with the judge, then the judge is indeed like a GOD.

He is then doing the will of the people.

Which is what he is hired to do.

However, people can protest, disobey, and turn to another judge to appeal, and take to the streets, and do all sorts of things to demonstrate that the judge is not representing "the people". With enough voices, the judge will have to change his ruling.

There was an attempted coup in Turkey recently, just because many of the people disagreed with the ruling authorities. That should be a reminder, who is the ultimate law in any nation.

A single person by herself, doesn't have the power, but can start a movement, and get the power to change the judges ruling. The judge is just one voice, he can be overruled by a higher court judge.

The judge thinks that wearing BLM pin is a political statement. The lawyer disagrees, and says it represents equal justice for all, which is exactly what the judge claims he is trying to enforce in his courtroom by banning the pin.

The judge does not acknowledge that blacks get any different treatment in the justice system than whites. So, bringing a BLM pin into his courtroom is just political. As far as he is concerned, he is colorblind. So, why did he notice the pin?

So the society at large can debate this, and make the final determination. The lawyer obviously knows the law.

If you do not stand up for the rights you believe in, then you will have no rights.

The lawyer stood up for what she believes in.

Remember the one golden rule of all law: "Silence is approval."

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

TextBurton tried to argue that her first amendment rights overrule the Supreme case law but ultimately failed and was charged with contempt of court.

Anyone that refuses to follow a JUDGES orders in courts of law WILL BE held in contempt of court.

THAT people is how it works.

There are no ifs,and,or buts about it.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

Courtrooms are supposed to be apolitical areas free from bias.

Have you ever seen a statue or image of lady justice wearing a donkey, an elephant, or a swastika? Nope.

This is not an issue of freedom of speech at all.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

TextBurton tried to argue that her first amendment rights overrule the Supreme case law but ultimately failed and was charged with contempt of court.

Anyone that refuses to follow a JUDGES orders in courts of law WILL BE held in contempt of court.

THAT people is how it works.

There are no ifs,and,or buts about it.

This is also how it works when "the people" disapprove of the judge: THEY REMOVE HIM.

Stanford rape case judge removed from new sexual assault case

Never forget, the real power is the people.

edit on 23-7-2016 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

A prosecutor and the defense can opt to request another judge if they see fit.

The fallout continued Tuesday when the Santa Clara County district attorney removed Persky from a different sexual assault case.

Twenty jurors refused to serve in Persky's courtroom Wednesday, citing the judge as a hardship

"This is a rare and carefully considered step for our office,"

Indisputably a completely different situation.

And no, it's not "the people", it's a mutual agreement between the prosecution and a ruling jury.
edit on 23-7-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadFoot

Indisputably a completely different situation.

And no, it's not "the people", it's a mutual agreement between the prosecution and a ruling jury.

Every situation is different.

But in that case it was "the people" who complained, and "the jury" just took the side of the people.

It wasn't even all the people that complained about the judge. Personally, I didn't understand why they wanted to remove the judge. I thought the judge was fair. But, enough people disagreed with the judge to have an "influence" on the jury.

In this case with the Lawyer and the BLM pin, I can't see why the judge would make an issue of a simple pin.

Jeez, the Judge lets the Holy Bible into the court, does he not? Is that fair to the Atheists? Is it fair to the Muslims?

Where does this judge get the right to pick and choose which "symbols" to remove from his courtroom, and which to keep?

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: StallionDuck

The judge is wrong. It's a pin with a hashtag on it. I'm not sure why you'd want to pay taxes for a ridiculous decision like that.

Yeah like manners and decorum. Lets just be anarchists.

works well in any civil medium.

Wear you allegiance, sure. wear it so others learn, not so everyone sees s pillock.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join