It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Ancient Egypt Shaped the Modern World: An Infographic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It seems like we've had nothing but angry, horrible news for a very long time so I thought I'd look for some material that was fun and interesting. This isn't an in-depth article - it's an infographic, and it IS from 2013, but I thought that the information is both amusing and interesting. And forget aliens and pyramids. How about...

...breath mints
...lipstick
...air conditioning
...copper pipes
- and more!

(they forgot indoor toilets, actually - which were (I kid you not) buckets of sand. The first "litter box" for humans. They also didn't include surgery and a lot of other things)

When we think of ancient Egypt, for most of us, such things as the pyramids of Giza and the great temple of Karnak come to mind. But you might be amazed to find out that the ancient Egyptian legacy extends far beyond these iconic sites, touching almost all aspects of the society we live in today.

How Ancient Egypt Shaped The Modern World

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Thanks, I enjoyed that immensely!

My brain always balks when I read, "They were the first to... ____________ " because I know something could be unearthed tomorrow that proves an older civilization had it before that. So I just mentally edit it to "earliest known" and figure that's really what they mean anyway!

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Amazing they had copper pipes, eh?

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
They also had Easter before us, don't forget that.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hieroglyphs were stylized, so I will include graphic design, as well.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

The pumice/vinegar toothpaste set my teeth on edge.

I've heard that peoples with high intake of stone ground cereal showed much tooth wearing due to the residual abrasive, top it off with pumice toothpaste? How did their teeth turn out?

bad-teeth-tormented-ancient-egyptians-discovery-ne ws
Worn teeth, periodontal diseases, abscesses and cavities tormented the ancient Egyptians, according to the first systematic review of all studies performed on Egyptian mummies in the past 30 years.

edit on 23-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

top topics

join