It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many People Were Shot by Open Carriers at the RNC?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: madmac5150

I love hearing gun shots in my neighborhood... it means my neighbors are practicing.

I don't live in a closed neighborhood. We have lots of wide open space. But, I feel the same way you do. When I hear gun shots around me where I live, I have a deep sense of relief knowing we're all staying sharp and ready. It feels safe to me. I guess if I lived in the inner city of Chicago or Baltimore or somewhere like that, I wouldn't have that same feeling.

I used to live in the City of Phoenix, AZ... population many million. The only real crime was on the south end... gangbangers killing each other. You never started crap anywhere else, because it was a good bet that 80% of everyone around you was ARMED. Look at D.C.'s or Chicago's violent crime rates compared to Phoenix...

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust
a reply to: Snarl

Again, how did that work out in Dallas?

Not so well. Even the Open Carry enthusiasts sought shelter, as opposed to standing their ground. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good in theory. Not so well in real life.

It was trained law enforcement and a robot who saved the day.

They have enough sense to know when to stay out of the way of the police. The cops were on it, so the OC citizens weren't needed. But, had the cops been overwhelmed by an "army" of bad guys, we would have a different reaction.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

My point is that Open Carry does not serve as a deterrent to those seeking to go on a rampage.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

My point is that Open Carry does not serve as a deterrent to those seeking to go on a rampage.

Yeah, it does. Terrorist or extreme-ists look for SOFT targets. A "GUN FREE ZONE" is a VERY soft target

Debate me if you feel the need, but, in my old life, I was an anti-terrorism expert.

NO GUNS means NO RISK for the A$$holes..... errrr bad guys...

edit on 22-7-2016 by madmac5150 because: My ducks are assholes

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

There is nothing that will deter someone on a suicide mission...

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

Nothing will stop someone on a suicide mission.

I don't disagree with you there.

But the notion that seeking cover is a point of contention for you is not a legitimate critique.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

The Dallas protest featured several Open Carry enthusiasts. Even the presence of guns being toted in the open view of everyone was not a deterrent.

Again, it only takes one nut job to throw that contention straight out the window.

Hell, there's hardly a day that goes by where our law enforcement officers aren't faced with some kind of shooting incident -- and they open carry.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I learned martial arts not so I would never get beat up again, but to minimize the damage in the event someone assaults me.

I carry a firearm to minimize the chances I will be a victim to a deadly threat. There are no guarantees in life. Only probability.

Training and the carrying of arms is just a method of reducing your chances of suffering a deadly defeat.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Seeking shelter was the sensible thing to do. Yet in the Dallas tragedy, what good did toting weapons in the open achieve? In the end, Open Carry was not a deterrent.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Oh, I agree on all those points.

In all honesty, it seems to me that concealed weapons would be a more effective choice for self-defense.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Not a single gun related injury was reported, of course.

A few communists burned themselves during a pathetic attempt to burn the American flag though.

Not sure if they were charged with public endangerment or burning without a permit but they should have been.

The promised BLM protests never panned out.

These are the same pathetic losers Shaun King and BLM threatened will attempt a coup when Trump takes office.

I hope they follow through on their pathetic armed coup attempt. I really do.

But I am not holding my breath.
edit on 22-7-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

a reply to: Snarl

Again, how did that work out in Dallas?

Not so well. Even the Open Carry enthusiasts sought shelter, as opposed to standing their ground. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good in theory. Not so well in real life.

It was trained law enforcement and a robot who saved the day.

Ahhhahahaha!! [blush] Now I get what you were asking.

Yeah ... I'm retired military/retired LEO/highly trained/highly skilled. I'm not willingly taking on a guy with a rifle without one of my own ... and even then I'm being real careful. No one's paying me to take those risks these days.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

The Dallas protest featured several Open Carry enthusiasts. Even the presence of guns being toted in the open view of everyone was not a deterrent.

Again, it only takes one nut job to throw that contention straight out the window.

Hell, there's hardly a day that goes by where our law enforcement officers aren't faced with some kind of shooting incident -- and they open carry.

At least the folks that were armed had a fighting chance.... you can NEVER disarm and decriminalize every person on the planet. Governments that disarm their citizens always screw the common man. Ask the Germans... The Russians... The Chinese... the U.S. Government still has a fear of the common man... and that is as it should be...

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Concealed carry is definitely preferred.

But I'm not taking on a guy with a long gun when all I have is a Glock19.

I'm well trained and an excellent marksman, but the presence of a rifle changes everything.

Even a bolt action rifle has a distinct advantage over a handgun.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I learned martial arts not so I would never get beat up again, but to minimize the damage in the event someone assaults me.

I carry a firearm to minimize the chances I will be a victim to a deadly threat. There are no guarantees in life. Only probability.

Training and the carrying of arms is just a method of reducing your chances of suffering a deadly defeat.

Our guns are only used to run off predators (coyotes, wolves, mountain lions and bears), to protect our property and livestock. We aren't stockpiling ammo and weapons... we aren't militants. We are legal, Constitutional gun owners. We are trained, and most of us are qualified (military or police) as "Marksman" or better. We have ZERO crime here. Do the math...

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I understand the importance of self defense and the role of the Second Amendment. Truly, no issue there.

Let us not deceive ourselves by pretending that open carry acts as actual deterrent, because it doesn't. People intent on causing harm will continue to do so despite the visible presence of weapons.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
None.

Too many open carry folks. You'd have to be a real moron to get aggressive and violent in a place like that!

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

You, and others like you, are an exception to the rule.

You are trained to handle weapons in hostile situations. Therein lies the difference.

The average Joe who chooses to open carry doesn't have the same advantage. It's on thing to be heavily trained and other to spend an ocassional afternoon at the local gun range.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I understand the importance of self defense and the role of the Second Amendment. Truly, no issue there.

Let us not deceive ourselves by pretending that open carry acts as actual deterrent, because it doesn't. People intent on causing harm will continue to do so despite the visible presence of weapons.

Open carry is a HUGE deterrent. When you have a loaded .45 Auto strapped to your hip, you can go into any grocery store at any hour of the night and there is pretty damned good chance that you will not be robbed. Now, I don't advocate just anyone carrying; however, with proper training you can quit being a victim

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

A GOOD point.

Irrefutable, as a matter of fact.

I always advise that it is better to spend 500 bucks on a rifle and 2k on training and ammunition than it is to spend 2k on a rifle and 500 on training and ammo.

It's all about priorities.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join