It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Bruce Lee Win a Fight against a UFC OR MMA pro?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
i think some of you have only watched his movies,
and forgot that those were movies made to make him look good.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but Hulk Hogan could easily destroy Bruce Lee.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

lol Brokedown no way not in this or any other lifetime! But thankyou that made me smile

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter
a reply to: awareness10

He'd win. He was so fast and so strong, it was unbelievable.

He weightlifted as well. It was part of his training.

Yes he would

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I would have loved to see royce gracie vs Bruce lee..

To completely different styles,
And Royce was known to fight with broken bones..and could take one hell of a beating.

Which he would..

But I would still like to see it..

With original ufc rules..

When it was a bloodbath.

~meathead

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

Ummmm. It's not that he was known to fight with broken bones. It's that he had his bones broken in the middle of fights due to getting his ass kicked and his pride wouldn't let him submit despite being thoroughly defeated. That's called being dumb. Lol. I remember when it happened too. Dude got whooped by a ground and pound noob who came from a farm in Iowa. Wow, what a badass ninja! Jk he sucks.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

He was fighting, had a bone broken and continued fighting With it.

Hence I said he was known to fight with broken bones, and could take a beating..

Never said any thing about him being a ninja, I also seen to remember posting that he would get his ass beat.
Never once implied he would win..just that it would be entertaining to watch.

I am puzzled at your post,

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Royce would've taken Lee down and submit him. Back in the early UFC days, no one outside of Brazil knew what Brazilian JiuJitsu was, much less how to defend against it. I posted this link earlier, but I think this short clip from Chuck Norris' own mouth perfectly explains the situation.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Ummmm no. Only one person has ever defeated The Hulkster during a Hulk Up. If you don't know who that person is then you lack the combat knowledge necessary to continue this debate with me. Bruce Lee doesn't even have a finishing move. 300lb leg drop vs 135lb kick to the chest (Bruce Lee couldn't reach Hulks face because he's about a foot shorter). No contest. Say goodbye to what's left of your spine Brucey!

I actually think that the Hulkster had the strength to rip off Bruce Lee's arms and legs. There's a lot of mystique surrounding Bruce Lee, but the fact is that 135lbs affords you very little in terms of strength. The legends of Bruce Lee aren't believable in consideration of what we know about combat sports today. He'd probably get destroyed in UFC. The Chinese were all about inflating their fighters as a form of national pride. Like the martial artist who stood in a horse stance and ten men couldn't push him over. That's really not possible.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

He wasn't fighting when he had his bones broken. I saw it happen live. The fight was well over. The timer may have been going, but he wasn't going to continue whether or not he had his arm broken. It was all about that Gracie pride because if he submits then who buys into the legend? No one. It didn't go down like you're implying. He did not fight with broken bones. He fought then had his arm broken and lost.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Your point is well taken, I completely agree if Royce could latch on there might be problems for Bruce.
I just don't see that happening..Bruce was lightning quick.

I can't watch YouTube on this phone or link but I have seen that interview before.
Royce would have take one hell of a beating before Bruce got tired enough for him to slow down.

I just think it would be a great fight to watch.

Of course all of this is merely my opinion,

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Im talking about a different match..it was his foot, and he just laid down on the mat, while an Asian stood over him and mudstomped him..

I believe he went into that match with the foot broken.

It's on YouTube I can't link sorry.

It's funny to me that although we agree he would lose you are arguing this point..

Again I never put Royce on a pedestal,
I never said he was legendary or any thing like that.
I also said he would lose.

Can you explain why you are arguing with someone who AGREES WITH YOU?

Also it is known Royce was a snip in the ring intentionally injuring opponents long after they submitted.

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I dunno. I'm reading that "prime" Bruce Lee was 135-140lbs. And that he got up to 165lbs when he was on a weight lifting regiment, but felt it made him too slow, so he dropped back down in weight.

Royce, on the other hand, was around 175lbs and he was fighting in open weight tournaments with multiple fights in the same night. He regularly faced and beat heavyweights like Dan Severn & Remco Pardoel (who were both over 250 lbs), and 225 lb+ guys like Ken Shamrock and Pat Smith. I doubt anyone would realistically say Lee had more power than them.

For the record, Pat Smith was a black belt in Hapkido, a black belt in Kenpō Karate, a 3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo, a black belt in Tang Soo Do, and outweighed Royce by more than 50lbs. But Pat Smith still couldn't hurt Royce with those skills (and lost in less than 2min). So I find it hard to believe Royce would have problems with a 135-140lb fighter's "power" when even a muscular 225lb world class martial arts striker couldn't hurt him with far more power. That's like seeing the punches from a prime Mike Tyson (220lbs) fail to hurt someone, but thinking a prime Manny Pacquiao's punches would hurt the same opponent. (Manny fights in various divisions under 150lbs.)

Not to mention, the element of surprise would utterly ruin Lee, since there's no way he was well versed in Brazilian JiuJitsu. BJJ fighters are usually at their strongest when fighting off of their backs, which goes against the theories of virtually every other martial art. It's literally like walking into a trap.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I think a valid point is; Bruce was the master, and what he hadn't mastered he would have picked up quickly and subsequently mastered, including graples.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Exactly, and not only that but..

How exactly does one grapple a man who cannot be touched..

~meathead

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

ok well he still needs to move in to connect any of his strikes. He could not be touched, back before world class fighters in every practice became the norm. Now it is the norm, I feel it would be too idealistic and naive to believe he could not be touched by today's fighters.

And Hulk Hogan could have probably hurt him in his Prime, but dude is older now. Prime Lee vs Prime Hogan?? Maybe because he was just a massive dude. and in melee size is a bigger factor than speed. Size allos for the delivery of stronger blows and the ability to take harder hits.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Demetrious Johnson (at his best) would probably beat Bruce Lee (at his best) and he fights at a little under Lee's average of 145lbs. He'd be a close match on reflexes and speed.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I agree with your assessment completely.

I will say this, I am an orange belt in American Kenpo Karate, yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do, I studied Kali/Escrima for a couple of years, and did Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu (Wah Lum) for three years. I also have defensive tactics training as a police officer.

I am also 6' 1" and 245lbs. No where near in as good of shape as Bruce Lee or a professional MMA fighter, but I am not slow and decently strong.

When I started training at American Top Team (BJJ/Muay Thai) my coaches were aware of my background. As such, they wanted to "test" me to see where I was in my striking and grappling capabilities.

They put me up against one of our professional fighters Adam Collarile. He is about 5' 8" and 145lbs. He absolutely destroyed me. I could barely land a punch or kick. He countered most of my strikes, took me to the ground and smashed me with his knee on my belly, eventually submitted me via a rear naked choke.

Adam was probably only giving about 50% too. If he went full force I would have never even landed a strike. It would of been over in less than a minute.

Most people that study traditional martial arts develop a false sense of security. I get it, I was there. They pay a lot of money and put a lot of time into their art. I respect those arts 100%. Hell, I have my kung fu school logo tattooed on my arm.

That said, just take a look at how most traditional martial arts teach a person to block a low punch or kick...with a low arm block. I challenge any person that studies traditional martial arts to block a low punch or kick with a low block against a person that studies MMA. As soon as you drop your hand to chase that punch or kick you are going to be leveled with a secondary punch or head kick.

Also, many traditional martial artists drop their hands when they throw punches and kicks. Again, do this against a MMA fighter and it's lights out.

I do respect traditional martial arts and appreciate what they taught me. I also think that a highly trained traditional martial artist would wipe the floor with someone that doesn't study any kind of fighting art.

However, against a trained MMA fighter, the outcome is usually not in their favor.
edit on 24-7-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Hulk Hogan could grab Bruce Lee by his head and easily disconnect it from his body.

Here's how you know Lee is bullsht. You can load up a ton of real fight videos from someone like Ali or any of the great mma fighters. It's not like Lee wasn't able to get his fights recorded. He was all about the camera and all about his martial arts yet we have never seen a real fight of his. We only have the legends just like everything else surrounding Chinese martial arts. It's all propaganda. Surely, men twice the size who actually participate in real fights such as mma or ufc would destroy someone like Lee who was clearly avoiding using his martial arts against actual opponents. Sorry, but you need real experience in fighting and have to beat a lot of other experienced fighters to be crowned the best at it. He lived in a very small world. Ufc connected every aspect of fighting which is why even the lower ranked guys could easily destroy him.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Demetrious Johnson (at his best) would probably beat Bruce Lee (at his best) and he fights at a little under Lee's average of 145lbs. He'd be a close match on reflexes and speed.

I appreciate your post, and i did take a look at this guy, he's good yes but you have to keep in mind that Bruce Lee took his training to another level completely, he never stopped. He was trained by Ip Man, a very patient and calm Master. Lee's Charisma (a divinely conferred power or talent) and non Stop Potential to further himself in all areas, Unmatched. He was a Master unto Himself.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join