It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why American's "gun culture" makes us different when it comes to "gun control"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Try reading the Federalist Papers. They fully intended the 2nd amendment as a check against a Tyrancial US Federal Government. a reply to: alldaylong

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I'd like to think that the founding fathers are spinning in their graves over the encroachment of individual rights and the temerity of government.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
Great thread, I was about to pull my hair out if I heard one more euro member tell US we've got a 'problem' while they sit idle, waiting on the next stabbing, axing, explosion, mass rape or shooting from the people who all ways ignore their anti-gun laws, criminals and terrorists.

As a Euro member I'm a little confused, personally I don't give a monkeys chuff how many guns Americans have, but how are we in Europe sitting idle? do people not get stabbed, axed, raped or become victims of explosions in America?....what exactly are Europeans sitting idle over?

Just how many of the afore mentioned crimes are prevented because Americans have a shed load of guns?....last time I looked the US was as much at the mercy of rapists, terrorists, knife crime atc. as the rest of the world.

How many terrorist attacks have American guns actually prevented?

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SrWingCommander
Try reading the Federalist Papers. They fully intended the 2nd amendment as a check against a Tyrancial US Federal Government. a reply to: alldaylong

How many of those killed over the years by the use of firearms where members of a Tyranical U.S. Federal Goverment ?

edit on 22-7-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Double Post

edit on 22-7-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: alldaylong

I'd like to think that the founding fathers are spinning in their graves over the encroachment of individual rights and the temerity of government.

more likely the amount of money we spend on a full time professional imperialist standing army even bigger than the one they defeated

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
As an Australian, the whole US gun culture just comes across as hypocritical and self destructive... to be totally honest.

I mean, you all claim you need access to guns (with no red tape) because of all the criminals who have guns... but these so called criminals are usually American citizens as well, who grew up learning the importance of the Constitution and the 2nd just like everyone else.

So, if your going to defend the rights of the white god fearing middle class to purchase firearms, with (basically) no restrictions, then you also have to support the right of the 'have not's' to own them too... then 'own' and take responsibility for the negative effects this so called 'gun culture' has on society.

..... just sayin.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
According to a liberal leaning National Crime Victimization Survey, the number of defensive gun use in the US that saved someone from harm is above 100,000 cases a year. This is a very conservatives estimates and others studies such as the CDC suggests it is between 500,000 and 2 milllion cases a year. You have to remember that in most cases a sight of a gun alone will deter crime, no one has to be shot. Look at the latest RNC as an example, no bloodshed occured even when many on both sides were open carrying.

The OP is correct guns empowers the people, if the Second Amendment existed in China .... Tiananmen Square Massacre might of ended with the fall of the Communist Party.
edit on 22-7-2016 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
in about 40 years, the US devised and established the world's greatest army. in another 20 the world's most armed police force. in some 30 year span of research we sent men to the moon. in a little over 200 year after inception or span we have the biggest nuke stockpile. we are the biggest arms dealer in the world.voting rights for man and woman, and all men

-- etc etc

I can go on and list feats of America post British control.
you would then understand the founding fathers did not envision this when the constitution was initially written.
we exploded so quickly that the laws layed out weren't designed for such massive and rapid expansion.

if the founding fathers, or at least their spirits, were amongst us, they would probably think about rephrasing some of their core values.

the menaces of yesteryear are drastically different from today's. the founding fathers could have never foresaw the society we have today in the U S of A.
how can this be the only model which we are reluctant to revisit.

oh right, we've made guns our business.
gun control can only be successful if the government is willing to throw down some of their arms in the process. the only issue is that the government would never give up its status quo.
edit on 22-7-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argyll
As a Euro member I'm a little confused, personally I don't give a monkeys chuff how many guns Americans have, but how are we in Europe sitting idle? do people not get stabbed, axed, raped or become victims of explosions in America?....what exactly are Europeans sitting idle over?

Just how many of the afore mentioned crimes are prevented because Americans have a shed load of guns?....last time I looked the US was as much at the mercy of rapists, terrorists, knife crime atc. as the rest of the world.

By 'idle' I mean defenseless by consequence of your strict gun laws. You're 'sitting ducks'.

And yes of course all those things do happen here, as they do all over the world... but given the fact that we're the most vilified country on the face of the planet, can you imagine how often these things would happen if not for our private deterrence.

It provides a meme of security for law abiding citizens and one of threat to those looking to do harm. More crimes are thwarted in the US by law abiding gun owners than you would ever know, it happens every single day, the liberal media naturally refuses to publish the stories. A mass shooting was prevented in SC just a couple week ago by a law abiding gun owner.

This thread isn't so much about gun rights as it is psychology 101.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hmm lets see...this.

2016 completely unnecessary deaths by gun in America, sure freedom comes with a price, though some never lives to enjoy that freedom, nowhere else in the world do you see numbers like below.

SOURCE
Number of Children (age 0-11)
Killed/Injured 344
Number of Teens (age 12-17)
Killed/Injured 1,672

I would say that's a problem, which most Americans ignore, enjoy your freedom to own guns, but don't ignore the price.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: metatrope

originally posted by: SrWingCommander

"It's all about power. America is the only nation to consider We the People as it's sovereign, and the government our servants. This is a huge problem for statists because We have more guns and gun owners than the ten largest armies in the world combined. This is by the Founding Father's design.

Wow, what a slap in the face to all of those of us in other countries that democracy and representative government take as the core of our system of government. Calling us statists? What hubris.

No, just the people in your governments.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

There are about 11,000 gun homicides yearly in the US and decreasing, as compared to 400,000 deaths by medical mistakes which is on the increase. If you want to really save lives make visits to doctors safer.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

You are trying to justify one problem with another problem, that's not how it works

Anyway, i was just saying...
edit on 22-7-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Nice source there's no way that's bias... "No where else in the world" huh...

Honduras
Venezuela
Swaziland
Guatemala
Jamaica
El Salvador
Colombia
Brazil
Panama
Uruguay

...all have higher gun deaths per capita. And given what is known about what civilians in other parts of the world endure like Africa, the middle-east, and south east Asia... I'd rather be fk'n shot any day.

edit on 22-7-2016 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: Mr Headshot

It's because the founding fathers liked to hunt, nothing more. Crazy righty

The Founders probably thought The British might come back to reclaim The Colonies, and wanted the population armed and ready if they did.

I don't think The Founders had it in mind that U.S. ciitizens would use firearms to actually kill each other.
They must be turning in their graves.
Every amendment was made in opposition of the u.s ever being under tyrannical government

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Gun homicides have been decreasing for decades in the US even as the number of guns in circulation have been the hightest ever. I really do not see it as an epidemic that the MSM portrays it out to be. Most of the 11k gun homicides that do occur in the US a mostly concentrated in the cities. If you really want to reduce the the gun problem in the US, you have to ask yourself, what is occuring in these cities that increases it's violent crime rate. My guess is that it might have to do with the lack of core family values, growing up without a father figure, no oppotunity, poor educational systems and a government that wants to keep these people dependent on them rather than making them independent of the system.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

By 'idle' I mean defenseless by consequence of your strict gun laws. You're 'sitting ducks'.

Sitting ducks how?

We have people to defend us, the Police in the UK are heavily armed, we aren't sitting ducks at all!.....it is very rare here in the UK that we have Police officers who have to resort to discharging their weapons.

How's that working out in the US?

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
From behind every blade of grass.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
As an American gun owner.....I don't give a sh** what people from other countries think.
It's not their country and their opinion doesn't count. Period.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join