It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2016 is (predictably) set to be the hottest year on record

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes. Because very large amounts of money are being spent in efforts to maintain the status quo in energy production.

That we can agree upon. Both sides are guilty and I would not put it past either side to make any of this look more favorable for their individual argument.

I just did a thread about Siberia and the release of Methane that is happening now. "If" the planet continues to warm in the northern latitudes and the methane accelerates its' release then all the taxes in the world will not save the way we live now and just might end much of everything.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
There is not much "if" involved. Short of ceasing the combustion of fossil fuels entirely (not gonna happen any time soon), temperatures will continue to rise.

While methane is a much more "powerful" greenhouse gas than CO2 there are two major factors which limit its effects on climate. First, sunlight breaks it down (not so for CO2). Second, atmospheric concentrations of methane are very low, it will take huge releases of stored reserves to significantly change that. Somewhere down the road though, it will be a concern.

Taxes have never solved any problem. However, if carbon taxes reduce the rate of combustion of fossil fuels it will slow the rate of warming. Slowing the rate of warming will provide more time for adaptation as well as the development of technology to deal with the release of fossil carbon.
edit on 7/22/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

The shape and strength of the magnetosphere do have an influence on climate.
Not sure about that. There is some evidence that solar activity has some influence on ENSO intensity (El Nino/La Nina) but not so much on longer term global climate.

CERN was supposed to run experiments on this not too long ago, but I never saw the results.
The CLOUD experiments were designed to test aspects of the theory that cosmic rays affect climate. They found that cosmic rays can produce aerosols but:

But, Kirkby adds, those particles are far too small to serve as seeds for clouds. "At the moment, it actually says nothing about a possible cosmic-ray effect on clouds and climate, but it's a very important first step," he says.

www.nature.com...

They have learned quite a bit about clouds though, and how human activity seems to affect their formation.

“These results are the most important so far by the CLOUD experiment at CERN,” said CLOUD spokesperson, Jasper Kirkby. “When the nucleation and growth of pure biogenic aerosol particles is included in climate models, it should sharpen our understanding of the impact of human activities on clouds and climate.”

home.cern...

edit on 7/22/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Across that region particularly where I live near Grafton had the hottest temp records.

Glen Innis 27 C ?

Mild summers days in the middle of winter.

Drove to Dorrigo today, normally one of the coolest in my area. Had to stip down to T shirt and shorts.

Very different.

Kind regards,

Bally
edit on 22-7-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Excellent post with facts I don't like to see lol, have 2 weeks off thanks to vacation. Walked outside yesterday turned around and walked right back in, the tomato's can wait, you will see me with a spelunking light on late at night .. We are getting a lot of rain here in central IL which is strange this time of year but it is very humid. Not just rain but strong storm systems across the midwest, some coming from the northwest and most coming from the southwest. Sat outside last night on the deck for a bit and watched the light show until I was eaten alive by mosquitos.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Yet last month three American states had snowfall, this now means I have to spend lord know how long going through my archives to find out which states it was.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

alaska, alaska and alaska? month of june? lol googling now.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
www.usatoday.com... here's one, seems in the mountains is all I am finding. But Hawaii?

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Quicker to go to 'accuweather.com' they report snow in the following state, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, and New Hampshire, in June, also, the sea froze on the shore of South Africa.
Europe has had snow as well, not common this time of year.
When I am eating my breakfast, and I start to perspire, then I will wonder if the world is heating up.
There are enough reports to convince me the Arctic sea is not disapering, especially the report that a research ship is stuck in Arctic sea s ice, in JUNE, at Archangel.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
El Nino is out and La Ninia is in and with that comes a warm dry summer. We have known for months.

The Weather Network

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

If it's any conciliation, the NW-Cascadia- region is having one of it's coolest summers in memory.....

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Normal summer temps here. Our humidity is a bit abnormal which sends the heat indices up over 110, but I'm not sure in what universe having a little extra rain is a bad thing. About four years ago, we were laboring under drought conditions and the actual temps were running just about 5 degrees shy of today's heat index temps and the ground looked like bare brown dead stuff. Had over 20 days of 100+ temps in 2012.

This year, things are normal with highs in the 95-100 range, right where they usually are this time of year.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
VERY hot and dry here in Colorado.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Typical ATS response: "Climate is always changing. Nothing to see here folks!"

Don't expect any alarms to be sounded here.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
I would say that I expected warmer weather to arrive months before it did ... and temperatures haven't really been all that warm so far.

But that's just me. It's a big world out there. Let's see how many people will come along and directly contradict me.

It should be noted that most of the warmest weather occurs over the oceans. You know 3/4ths of the planet?
edit on 22-7-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker
Six of seven continents had snow in July.. A friend of mine in Australia is miserable and cold, but he should be it is winter there !
youtu.be...

Some graphs with past and present presentations. Some of the glaciers that have retreated guess what they found....two thousand year old large tree stumps... Interesting
youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Record Cold Targeted Northeast, Great Lakes in Early April 2016

Record cold temps recorded the last 3 winters. But sure, everything is hotter.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Do you deny that it always has?

Do you also deny that the people blaming mankind for all the current change have also made failed prediction after failed prediction?

Between those two things, at what point do you begin to get a wee bit skeptical of their latest claims of impeding climate armageddon? I know you have no trouble getting skeptical of other forms of doom porm.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Do you deny that it always has?

Actually. No one has ever said it hasn't. It is a false narrative to pretend like that was part of the discussion. Of course the climate always changes.

Question. Do you know what a derivative is? Because knowing that is essential to knowing what scientists are saying when they are talking about climate change increasing at a never before seen rate (of change).

Do you also deny that the people blaming mankind for all the current change have also made failed prediction after failed prediction?

Yes. I do deny that obvious lie. Prediction after prediction has actually come true. Go ahead and name and source all these "failed predictions". I'll wait.

Between those two things, at what point do you begin to get a wee bit skeptical of their latest claims of impeding climate armageddon? I know you have no trouble getting skeptical of other forms of doom porm.

At what point do you stop listening to propaganda and actually just go look at what the science is saying?

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

At what point do you stop listening to propaganda and actually just go look at what the science is saying?

Your false scientists are what get me the most. Believe what you want. You're hopelessly duped at this point.

Your scientist's data integrity has already been debunked.

Last attempt to get you on the right track about 'Global Warming': It was about ripping-off taxpayers. Wake the eff up!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join