It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-Governmental Organizations Call on Canadian Prime Minister to Urge China to Improve Its Human R

page: 1

join
share:
Oct

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Kind persons should care about the human rights in China!

www.clearwisdom.net...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
And here's why it won't work.

From the article
Fourthly, Mr. Neve stressed to make it clear to big Canadian corporations (including those affiliated companies) that in the trade between Canadian corporations and China, human rights in China should be advocated and protected rather than harmed.

Neve claimed in his letter to the Prime Minister that reports showed technologies provided by many corporations in foreign countries including Northern Telecom are employed in China's internet censorship. Many people are arrested and imprisoned simply because they use internet as a peaceful tool to express and exchange their thoughts.

Human rights are fine and well, but when there's a quick buck to be made, it goes out the window. Companies like Northern Telecom and Lucen Technologies (U.S.A) sell Internet and telecommunications surveillance equipment to the CCP knowing full well that it will be used to monitor the Chinese citizens, supress their freedom speech, and provide "justification" for their incarceration. I guess they figure "Out of sight, out of ethical responsibility."

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I would highly doubt our current prime minister (Paul Martin) would have the guts to make such statements to the Chinese government.

Just my opinion --Evil--

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Martin can urge them to improve their human rights all he wants, but are they going to stop doing business with China if China doesn't follow through with the suggestions?
Don't think so.

Oct

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
According to incomplete statistics, within the past five years beginning on July 20, 1999, more than 1089 practitioners have been verified as being tortured to death in over 30 provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities. However, according to the government's official internal statistics, the actual number of practitioners who died after being arrested had reached 1,600 by the end of 2001. In addition, there are at least 6,000 Falun Gong practitioners who have been illegally sentenced to prison. Over 100,000 practitioners have been sentenced to forced labor camps. Thousands of practitioners have been forcefully sent to psychiatric hospitals to be tortured with injections that are damaging to the central nervous system. Large groups of Falun Gong practitioners have been forcefully sent to local brainwashing classes, where they have been subjected to both physical and mental torture. Many more practitioners have been severely beaten and had large sums of money extorted from them by so-called "law-enforcement officials." When large numbers of Falun Gong practitioners are beaten to death, injured, and their families are broken up, when they have to leave home and go from place to place because of the persecution, millions of Falun Gong practitioners' families, relatives, good friends and colleagues are also implicated and brainwashed to varying degrees.

Listed below are the names of the Falun Gong practitioners who have died from torture, and a brief description of their cases. Hopefully, these dreadful experiences and agonizing scenes will arouse consciences and stir hearts all over the world.

www.clearwisdom.net...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolutionEvil
I would highly doubt our current prime minister (Paul Martin) would have the guts to make such statements to the Chinese government.

Just my opinion --Evil--

Paul Martin had the guts to say no to Missile Defence did he not? If enough Canadians press the issue by calling and writing in, it could force him to take a stance. He is in a rather precarious situation in this Minority Gov't. I don't particularly like China's record anymore then the next guy but the differance between me and the next guy is I'll voice my protest through whatever means I have available.

Oct

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
China

Covering events from January - December 2002

PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
Head of state: Jiang Zemin
Head of government: Zhu Rongji
Death penalty: retentionist
International Criminal Court: not signed

Serious human rights violations continued and in some respects the situation deteriorated. Tens of thousands of people continued to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned for peacefully exercising their rights to freedom of expression, association or belief. Some were sentenced to prison terms; many others were administratively detained without charge or trial. The “strike hard” campaign against crime launched in April 2001 was renewed for a further year. According to interim figures available, the crack-down led to at least 1,921 death sentences, many imposed after unfair trials, and 1,060 executions. Torture and ill-treatment remained widespread and appeared to increase as a result of the campaign. The anti-crime crack-down also extended to people accused of being “ethnic separatists”, “terrorists” and “religious extremists” in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region (XUAR) and members of the Falun Gong spiritual movement. Further regulations were introduced to control access to the Internet. Labour protests increased and were frequently met with excessive use of force and arbitrary detentions. In Xinjiang, restrictions increased on the cultural and religious rights of the mainly Muslim Uighur minority. In Tibet, freedom of expression and religion continued to be severely restricted, although seven prisoners of conscience were released before the end of their sentences.

top topics

join