It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ground in Siberia is turning into a trampoline and we should all be worried ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: ElGoobero

Cows release more methane daily than any permafrost melting will, so I would be more worried about them than the permafrost melting.

Hummm I did not know that, nor who might have figured that one out; especially since no one knows just how much methane is locked in the tundra..... I suppose it was an educated guesstament ? I knew about the methane cow thingy, but I have also wondered about the methane by person contribution.. No doubt some of us have known people pretty darn full of......hot air !
edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: ElGoobero

Cows release more methane daily than any permafrost melting will, so I would be more worried about them than the permafrost melting.

Cows produce an estimated 80 million tons of methane a year while the permafrost melt is around 20 million tons per year. The problem with this is that the permafrost is melting, meaning that the amount of methane releasing into the atmosphere is rapidly increasing. What does this mean... well, there is an estimated 1,400 billion tons of methane frozen in the Arctic circle. So tell me, what is more scary, cows belching or the ice melting. If the earth warms just a couple of more degrees, and especially around the Arctic, there's gonna be a whole lot of tons of methane releasing, probably surpassing the cows real quick.

And yes, as another poster mentioned, it's not only the permafrost melting, but the methane lying frozen under the oceans and seas as well. This too is melting rapidly right now as the deep ocean waters are warming and this poses a major threat right along with the permafrost. We basically are facing a double whammy of epic proportions. Sad to say, not much we can do about it now to slow this down. I think we've passed the point of no return.. the point of runaway global warming, regardless whether it was man made or natural, it's here!

<< 1   >>

join