It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any possibility of a Preview Post button?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
As someone who likes to post threads which require a bit of laying out, it would be nice to be able to preview our post before it goes live.

I often use a lot of images, videos, and like to play with formatting options available. I usually will type my more detailed threads up in a text editor, but it is still easy to make errors. I often go back and make edits to my posts, but it would be much preferable to have the option to preview our posts. I can be pedantic about my posts, and while I am making edits to my initial post, there may be members replying to a post that is being changed.

I don't know how difficult this would be to implement on ATS, but it is a feature that exists on other forums I am a member of. I think there are other members who may also appreciate this feature.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

What? You mean you have been a member for this long and still don't see that little preview button option right next to the post it one? Or the reply option? HMMMM, are you trolling us with this?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: forthelove

Wow, I must be blind as I've never noticed this, I feel embarrassed now.

Not trolling, just a bit stupid.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold
a reply to: forthelove

Wow, I must be blind as I've never noticed this, I feel embarrassed now.

Not trolling, just a bit stupid.

Not stupidity, and not a biggie. Some people are members for years before they notice they can subscribe to a thread without commenting in it.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Wasn't trying to mean, just a bit of a shock, sorry!

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I also suggest you NEVER compose lengthy or well thought compositions here on ATS.

Compose off line, frequently review and correct... then cut and paste into ATS when satisfied.

You'll never lose anything either...

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I asked about what costs would be involved for a "save draft" feature, but everyone thought I was asking for a good way to work on something without losing it. I just wanted to quantify the costs of any new feature honestly. I thought it would have been a good way to spur discussion on how to monetize support for this site, but noone seemed to care.

People in general are more likely to lend support when a goal or unit of measure is quantified for them to see. Obviously that has nothing to do with this question, but I just thought I would bring it back up.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I definitely second that!

Even if using ATS editor for formatting, make a backup copy on separate editor before hitting the Post button. Will save much heartache in the event of Timeout before post is completed. It happens.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Understood. For me 4-5 years back, I asked the same question(and since so has a myriad of newer members) upset when whilst composing a great thread or reply to one, for whatever reason...crash, accidental log-out, hit the wrong button...whatever...one would lose everything. The time spent composing great thoughts they were laying down..were frustratingly gone from the ATS Reply Compose box...

I was elated to find I wasnt alone, and the recommendation was use notepad, MS word-whatever you got for word processing and composing off site. You can highlight the thread op or post and add in above for referring, compose your thoughts, cut and paste back when satisfied, and you never lose it from ATS before posting! Mamy great thoughts have been lost to cyber-space forever!

And simply put...ATS would have to sacrifice more space to store draft-ideas..and frankly..many would not come back to the draft, and we'd have a huge storage area of would-be reply responses.

Thanks, MS

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Yep...pthena, youve been here for a good while like me...and it was a revelation when older members passed it on. Ive lost some great sentences, phrasings, explanations and posts because of a click, freeze, or hitting a wrong button of key.

Ive done it this ever since. Not always, like just regular replies...but if I want to make sure I have correctly thought out and worded one important to me to make my point...I use the processors for documents and cut-n-paste back when happy with it.

*PS I still lose compositional time on my phone...smartphones are a lot worse in losing things due to lock-up, no signal etc.

Thanks for the response! MS

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

You're good man. I forget about the thing all the time.

new topics

top topics

join