It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Human Rights Tribunal imposes $42k fine on Mike Ward for making "inappropriate" jokes.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: TheTory
a reply to: gladtobehere

This is a travesty to Canadians. Freedom of expression is one of the most suppressed human rights in the world, and Canadians are letting it happen here at home without a peep. Shame.

Yeah. We're hurting. Maybe the US should bring us some democracy. Pfft.

Apparently democracy is too old an idea for Canadians. The suppression of human rights is the order of the day.
edit on 22-7-2016 by TheTory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

This is a travesty to Canadians. Freedom of expression is one of the most suppressed human rights in the world, and Canadians are letting it happen here at home without a peep. Shame.

Apparently democracy is too old an idea for Canadians. The suppression of human rights is the order of the day.

Really? I don't see people up here hating and killing each other on an astronomical scale like, well, somewhere else.
How's that working out for you?

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I'm Canadian. If you remember, it used to be a country where someone could make a joke. Might as well reinstate blasphemy laws, since making jokes at another's expense is blasphemy to some people.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Really? I don't see people up here hating and killing each other on an astronomical scale like, well, somewhere else.

I have nothing but love for our Northern neighbors. My issues is with individuals that think censorship is somehow acceptable.

It is simply so anathema to freedom.

edit on 2016/7/22 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I have nothing but love for our Northern neighbors. My issues is with individuals that think censorship is somehow acceptable.

It is simply so anathema to freedom.

Really? IDK what happens in the States but up here if you say you're going to kill someone it's at least going to court.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Why is it all of a sudden a crime to make fun of people, joke even in bad taste are still just words.
Next thing you will see is when they roast someone in Hollywood, that person will sue everyone who said hurtful things.
The opening monolog of most latenight talk shows make tasteless jokes about famous people even the potus, will that be outlawed next? Like I have said before, for anyone who gets offend by someone is usually guilty of offending someone else in one way or another.
PC is what is tearing the country apart because there is no possible way to make all of the people happy all of the time,feelings are going to be hurt and that is just the way the world is and always will be.
If you are easily upset over words then stay home and never watch TV or go outside because somewhere along the way you are going to get your feelings hurt.
Use to be sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
Now it's more like anything I don't like will hurt me to the point that I can sue you for making me feel bad.
People need to grow the eff up.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: VivreLibre

originally posted by: alphacenturi
a reply to: Picklesneeze

yes we have a right to free speech, but with it comes responsibility, this comedian is a pc of # for the disgusting comments he made.

a comedian than can only call humiliating, disgusting so called jokes about a facially disfigured boy comic material should seriously look for a new line of work.

he deserves the fine and a punch in the face a millions times.

and NO BEASTIALITY is not legal in this country, wtf

Why do you live in Canada, though? Why not immigrate to North Korea? It would suit you much better.

Just wait. I've seen Albertans saying that they will move to the States if Trump is elected. Good riddance and goodbye imo.

Have you seen what Albertans are having to deal with by accidentally electing that far left wing government in Canada's most right wing province? (The accident being splitting the vote among two right wing parties, thereby putting Starbucks employees who never thought they had a chance into office).

Might not be a bad plan until Alberta's next election cycle.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Why does that equate to the end of free speech? If you want to say something that you know will be offensive, and it's targeted, accept the consequences - it has always been thus.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

They don't have protected free speech in Canada and other parts of the world. They can do what they want to silence people. It sure makes you think and not take it for granted here in the U.S.

Commit libel in America and when you get your ass sued off burst into tears about your right to say what you like without any consequences and your credibility will diminish faster than your bank account. Freedom of speech exists in most Western countries, but like has been said further up this thread, with it comes responsibility and consequence.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

I have read the Charter, thank you for assuming otherwise. Your mistake.

You obviously have not read either the charter or the article in the op.

And if you have read both then it is your own lack of moral responsibility that prevails.

once again, your mistake.

when does your flight leave

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Charter of rights

15) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the rights to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, color, sex, age or mental and physical disability.

Im sure I don't need to point to the particular line above which pertains to this topic, if you can't understand the charter for what it says, it is you who needs to read it again or maybe just once for the very first time eh.

I vote conservative and my daughter manages Yuck Yucks in Toronto which is a comdey club. Except for a few other non funny Canadian comedians, this guy is now persona non grata.

This has nothing to do with free speech, its about a whiney not funny comedian who has to resort to demeaning, insulting, and bullying a kid who is disabled, who got a well derserved bitch slap from the canadian people who rely on our charter of rights and freedoms to do the right thing.

edit on 22-7-2016 by alphacenturi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Do you have anything more than a vague idea of what the first ammendment is? It's the first amendment to the constitution of the United States. As we are not the United States, it follow that we don't have a US constitution to amend.

We have the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which similar but not identical. Anybody can say what they want, to a point.
edit on 7/22/2016 by Monger because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/22/2016 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: alphacenturi

Section 15 of the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms means the government cannot discriminate, that individuals are equal before the law, not that they are protected from offensive speech.

Pack your bags. You are feigning knowledge of the charter, while at the same time denying your fellow citizens their fundamental rights as Canadians. Read the charter again, and then ask yourself if a free liberal democracy is where you want to live, because the censorship you crave can only be found in theocracies or dictatorships.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: alphacenturi

It may be tasteless, which is more than enough reason to privately not support him or his jokes, but to fine him is also over the top wrong.

If he didn't say this would you know what type of person he is? I'm glad to know who he is truly by this, aren't you?

I think this is where governments fails. What is reasonable? Like what is the definition of "is" etc. Reasonable and responsible for speaking publicly is not yelling "fire" for no reason etc ya know. To me it ends around there.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Poopycock Tory, or shud I say red tory.

I understand the charter very well. I don't think you actually know how to read it properly.

This is not even about free speech, this is about someone standing on a stage and being verbally abusive to a disabled kid for all the world to hear, what is it yet you do not get, if you are honestly the type of person who confuses free speech with verbal abuse your a sorry excuse for a human being and i am ashamed that you consider yourself a canadian.

People who mistake verbal abuse for free speech are usually abusers themselves. you seem to fit this category.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

I don't want to stifle free speech, im all for it with responsibility, free speech doesn't give anyone the right to demonize, verbally abuse and bully someone because of their disability.

There is a very fine line between the 2 and your right, sometimes our governments leave to much room.

It is a moral obligation to not degrade others for their disabilities, or anybody for that matter. I guess my point is I don't see this a free speech, i see it as verbal abuse.

If it sets a precedent, good. it should.

Like i said in my earlier post, he deserves the fine and more.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphacenturi

Poopycock Tory, or shud I say red tory.

I understand the charter very well. I don't think you actually know how to read it properly.

This is not even about free speech, this is about someone standing on a stage and being verbally abusive to a disabled kid for all the world to hear, what is it yet you do not get, if you are honestly the type of person who confuses free speech with verbal abuse your a sorry excuse for a human being and i am ashamed that you consider yourself a canadian.

People who mistake verbal abuse for free speech are usually abusers themselves. you seem to fit this category.

You misinterpreted section 15 of the charter of rights and freedom, neglect to mention nor respect the fundamental freedom of free expression outlined by that charter, and then claim to understand it really well. You might as well spit on it with these lies.

It is about free speech. He made a joke at someone's expense, and since your feelings hurt, and because you cannot take a joke, you wish to suppress the rights of others. That is the same sort of logic the Nazis, the Inquisition, and radical Islamists use, usually before committing atrocities. You seem to fit that category.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

They are the same thing.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Here's what the judge said:

“Unacceptable remarks in private do not automatically become lawful when delivered by a comedian in the public sphere,” judge Scott Hughes wrote. “Moreover, the fact of having a forum imposes certain responsibilities.

I agree with the judge... particularly the part I highlighted.

Stepping out onto a stage (public forum) automatically assumes certain responsibilities that go along with it.

You're either grown up enough to accept and uphold said personal responsibilities for what comes out of your mouth, or you're not.

Apparently Mike Ward wasn't grown up enough to take personal responsibility for what came out of his mouth because he's still whining and crying about having to suck up the consequences of his verbal actions:

In March, Ward suggested he’s been victimized.

Bwahahaha... the victimizer crying about becoming the victim.

Oh the irony.

When you freely open your mouth in the public sphere, it's an unwritten rule that you also freely assume the responsibility of any and all related consequences that might come flinging your way... those consequences may also include having your ass sued off by a common citizen.

Suck it up, buttercup.

Personally speaking, I prefer the good old days when citizens would just simply fling rotten tomatoes and animal feces at idiots who say stupid things. Physical consequences can be so much more fun sometimes.

edit on 22-7-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The type of thinking you described sounds like mass Stockholm syndrome-or the first stages,at least.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join