It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Human Rights Tribunal imposes $42k fine on Mike Ward for making "inappropriate" jokes.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Comedians stunned by Quebec ruling against Mike Ward.

Pop Goes The News — As comedians from all over the world descend on Montreal for the Just For Laughs festival, the Quebec Human Rights Tribunal has ordered stand-up comic Mike Ward to pay $42,000 for jokes he made about a disabled boy.

The ruling is sending a chill through the comedy community and outraging advocates of freedom of expression.

In its 33-page decision released Wednesday, the Human Rights Tribunal said Ward violated the rights of Jérémy Gabriel — who has Treacher Collins Syndrome — with jokes he told in his act beginning in 2010.

Wow.

I guess this really is the end of free speech.

Not talking about speech which incites hatred or violence but simple speech which may be offensive to some.

Europe has similar anti-"hate" laws. Simply questioning history can can get you imprisoned.

I dont think this could happen here in the US, could it?

Does Canada even have a First Amendment?

edit on 21-7-2016 by gladtobehere because: added pic

edit on Fri Jul 22 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

This will for sure get appealed. Saying that, the jokes he made were definitely tasteless and not all that funny.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Reminds me of what they used to say about the US: "When facism comes to America, it will come in the form of anti-facism."

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Do Canadians even have a right to free speech?

Just asking as an American that isn't familiar with Canadian law/rights.

(side note-just remembered that I heard that sex with animals was legalized up there.But you can't tell jokes?!?!)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego

It's already here.

(In the form of blm)
edit on 21-7-2016 by Picklesneeze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere
I guess this really is the end of free speech.

Remember boys ... Actions speak louder than words.

If you won't stand up for ALL of your rights ... they'll take 'em away from you one-by-one.

I can 'feel' it gettin' closer day-by-day.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Picklesneeze

yes we have a right to free speech, but with it comes responsibility, this comedian is a pc of # for the disgusting comments he made.

a comedian that can only call humiliating, disgusting so called jokes about a facially disfigured boy comic material should seriously look for a new line of work.

he deserves the fine and a punch in the face a millions times.

and NO BEASTIALITY is not legal in this country, wtf

edit on 21-7-2016 by alphacenturi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Here's a shocking fact..... the world ISN'T America. No we have no 1st here. We also don't have the problems they do with the 2nd. Do the HRT go too far? I think so at times but they also provide a necessary service to disenfranchised people.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
There was no joke in what this comedian said about the poor boy. It was a hateful statement wishing the boy was dead. Not funny. This was verbal abuse nothing more.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphacenturi

yes we have a right to free speech, but with it comes responsibility, this comedian is a pc of # for the disgusting comments he made.

a comedian than can only call humiliating, disgusting so called jokes about a facially disfigured boy comic material should seriously look for a new line of work.

Why do you live in Canada, though? Why not immigrate to North Korea? It would suit you much better.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: VivreLibre

a comedian than can only call humiliating, disgusting so called jokes about a facially disfigured boy comic material should seriously look for a new line of work.

Why do you live in Canada, though? Why not immigrate to North Korea? It would suit you much better.

Just wait. I've seen Albertans saying that they will move to the States if Trump is elected. Good riddance and goodbye imo.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: alphacenturi

Thank you for the info.

Sorry if I was wrong about the animal sex thing-but I swear that I read it very recently.

Must have been someone trolling.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

This is far beyond a joke now, censoring comedians doing a frigging comedy routine.....we do not need wars to destroy ourselves looks like stupidity will do the job just fine...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Just wait. I've seen Albertans saying that they will move to the States if Trump is elected. Good riddance and goodbye imo.

You can cry to mommy when you get offended now

But don't cry when they come for your freedom of speech as well

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Pretty bad.....one day motards will be given money because someone made funny remarks about them.
Lighten up boy it's just jokes and I'm sure that his parents have probably told him all of his life to ignore people who make fun of him, but now they see a payday and that thought goes right out the window. ....disgraceful

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: VivreLibre

How would you know what suits me, I don't like bullys, especially those who cloak themselves to hide their true offensive nature, a full grown man making fun of a disabled boy to make a buck is not my idea of a comedian.

Thanks im not interested in North Korea, think I'll stick around here, maybe even go to Quebec for the weekend and take in a comdey show.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

They don't have protected free speech in Canada and other parts of the world. They can do what they want to silence people. It sure makes you think and not take it for granted here in the U.S.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

You can cry to mommy when you get offended now

Well that's confusing.

But don't cry when they come for your freedom of speech as well

Where do you live? We don't have that in Canada.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: alphacenturi

" I don't like bullys, especially those who cloak themselves to hide their true offensive nature"

Sounds like islamists to me.

They don't like free speech either.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Because we get to ride polar bears, duh.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join